What is the MuRF based on?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
sir_dss

What is the MuRF based on?

Post by sir_dss » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:10 pm

I've seen an ad in some other forum(analogue heaven, gas station, yahoo) that shows a rack mount effect called the MuRF from the 70's.

Has anyone eles seen this?

Impossible Sound

Post by Impossible Sound » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:50 pm

There's the Buchla MARF (Multiple ARbitrary Function generator):

http://www.synthtech.com/pix/buchla/marf/marf_1.jpg

Maybe you were thinking of that?

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:14 pm

Wow but no...

It was something else, there was an print ad that someone scaned and posted on some site. it was black and white and from the 70's from some small indipendant company. It also seemed to be their only product.

Moogmusic! Could you put some light on this?

asd

Post by asd » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:33 am

can you post a link to view the pic? this could be pretty funny considering all the talk about it being a "new effect"

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:42 am

It is a new effect, there hasn't been anything like it. Something may have had the same name, but I assure you it wasn't the same thing.

blue_lu

Post by blue_lu » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:12 pm

hmm... I don't think so. Actually imo the whole concept is a plain "rip-off" of the z.vex seekwah /oohwah pedals. Zvex is the guy who did the pioneering here, not moog!

AND YES! I KNOW that the murf works with different filter, has more posibilities - I was talking about the idea itself. It most def. NOT original Moog.

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:57 pm

blue_lu wrote:hmm... I don't think so. Actually imo the whole concept is a plain "rip-off" of the z.vex seekwah /oohwah pedals. Zvex is the guy who did the pioneering here, not moog!

AND YES! I KNOW that the murf works with different filter, has more posibilities - I was talking about the idea itself. It most def. NOT original Moog.
do you actually think Zvex invented this concept? Sample and hold filters have been around for a loooooong time. The murf isn;t a sample and hold effect.

not saying zvex is great...his pedals are amazing but he certainly did not invent sample and hold

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:10 pm

No what I'm talking about isn't the Seek Wah either. It was like a 2 -3 space rack piece.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:42 pm

blue_lu wrote:hmm... I don't think so. Actually imo the whole concept is a plain "rip-off" of the z.vex seekwah /oohwah pedals. Zvex is the guy who did the pioneering here, not moog!

LOL. You have no idea what you're talking about. Its a COMPLETELY different concept, not even close to the same thing :roll:

The Seek Wah is ONE lowpass filter with a built in 8-step sequencer that controls the cutoff of the filter (the same as an old analog-style sequencer, NOT new, just repackage as a guitar pedal). The MuRF is an array of EIGHT bandpass filters whose cutoff frequencies are hardwired to different frequencies. The levels of the bandpass filters are being controlled by a bank of set patterns. Not the same, not by a mile.

Don't get me wrong either. ZVex makes outstanding, brilliant stuff. But to say the MuRF is the same as the Seek Wah is just blatantly ignorant. If you can't tell the difference just by listening you need to have your ears checked. :shock:

blue_lu

Post by blue_lu » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:02 am

God, TENSION lies in the air... relax man!
Well you quoted my whole post, so why didn't you read it completely? I wrote that the idea itself, namely having a signal filtered by a sequenced pattern, is a rip off of the zvex pedal. I also stated that I knew that from a technical point of few the murf and the zvex ARE two very different animals, same thing with the sound goes for the sound of the demos (unfortunately I don't own neither MuRF nor SeekWah...). So - YES - your points are right on, BUT they were not my points! . The IDEA is what I'm referring to - Sequenced Filter, whether one cutoff filter sequenced in eight steps OR eight bandpass filters sequenced in a row... the concept - the idea is the pretty similar and therefore not "a completely new effect". It is at least "a heavily inspired by XY brand new effect".

I have to admit that I did not know about the sample and hold though - so I guess Zvex idea was not original itself. So therefore I'm willing to burry the war axe and somke the peace pipe.

cheers, the technical idiot

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:05 pm

Actually, the Seek Wah doesn't use a sample and hold. Its just an eight step sequencer that has a random mode where it cycles through the steps randomly.

Zvex did not invent the idea of a sequenced filter, it was on the original Moog modulars designed by Bob Moog. People have been sequencing filters for 50 years!

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:01 pm

The first sequencers Dr. Moog worked on were invented by Raymond Scott, for whom Bob was doing freelance engineering. Bob credited Raymond Scott as the inventor of the modern sequencer and didn't use Scott's innovations in the first Moog sequencers out of respect for the very secretive Scott.

Check out: http://raymondscott.com/

kb

Post by kb » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:38 pm

. . . . also, the Murf is capable of making its own sounds . . . .