Mic with Ring Mod

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
ColinSnow

Mic with Ring Mod

Post by ColinSnow » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Ok, so I'm going to admit off the bat that I'm new to this kind of equipment.

If I wanted to hook up a microphone and possibly a speaker to the MF-102 Ring Modulator how would I go about doing that ?

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:05 am

Microphone -> mixer. Ring mod on one of the effects inserts on the mixer. Mixer -> amplifier -> speakers.

It could be as big or as small as you'd like, possibly all (mixer, amp, speaker) in one device.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:58 pm

The specific connections on the ringmod would be:
  • 1. Mic > mixer mic in

2. Mixer effects send > MF-102 audio in

3. MF-102 audio out > mixer effects receive

4. Mixer audio out > amplifier instrument in
The use of a mixer is advised if the mic uses a balanced connector (as most mics do). Otherwise, you might be able to skip the mixer and plug the mic directly into the MF-102's audio input.

The effects send/receive connection on the mixer uses an insert cable. The insert cable has three plugs, one stereo, and two mono. The stereo plug goes into the mixer's effect send/receive jack, while one mono plug goes into the MF-102 audio in, and the other mono plug goes into the MF-102 audio out. (One mono plug connects to the ring, and the other mono plug connects to the tip of the stereo plug that goes into the mixer. The mono plugs will be marked as to which one is the tip, and which one is the ring.) The mixer sends the signal from the mic on the tip of the insert cable's stereo plug, and receives the signal back on the ring. However, be advised that this might be reversed in that, the mic signal may sent on the ring, and received on the tip. Check your mixer's user manual to be sure.

I hope this helps. Experiment, you can't hurt anything.

ColinSnow

Post by ColinSnow » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:03 pm

mayidunk wrote:
The use of a mixer is advised if the mic uses a balanced connector (as most mics do). Otherwise, you might be able to skip the mixer and plug the mic directly into the MF-102's audio input.

The effects send/receive connection on the mixer uses an insert cable. The insert cable has three plugs, one stereo, and two mono. The stereo plug goes into the mixer's effect send/receive jack, while one mono plug goes into the MF-102 audio in, and the other mono plug goes into the MF-102 audio out. (One mono plug connects to the ring, and the other mono plug connects to the tip of the stereo plug that goes into the mixer. The mono plugs will be marked as to which one is the tip, and which one is the ring.) The mixer sends the signal from the mic on the tip of the insert cable's stereo plug, and receives the signal back on the ring. However, be advised that this might be reversed in that, the mic signal may sent on the ring, and received on the tip. Check your mixer's user manual to be sure.

May J Dunk I'm a little confused about the cabling. If it helps, the mixer I was thinking of using is http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usb

Is the name of the cable an insert cable ?

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:47 pm

that mixer has no inserts

use aux B....post fader for effects.
-connect aux B send jack to input of the ring mod with instrument cable
-output of the ring mod to aux B return with instrument cable
-tweak the aux B return pot for good signal-to-noise
-adjust the amount of effect in the channel you're mic is plugged into by the channel's aux B level control.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:14 pm

acorkos wrote:that mixer has no inserts

use aux B....post fader for effects.
-connect aux B send jack to input of the ring mod with instrument cable
-output of the ring mod to aux B return with instrument cable
-tweak the aux B return pot for good signal-to-noise
-adjust the amount of effect in the channel you're mic is plugged into by the channel's aux B level control.
It is called an "Insert Cable," however you don't need it if what acorkos says is true.

Oh, and it's "May-I-Dunk." And if you have a minute, take a look my "Me" link on ebay to see the back story on that user name.

:D

ColinSnow

Post by ColinSnow » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Yeah, sorry. Keyboard and all. You know how they are.

Cool story though I must say :)

ColinSnow

Post by ColinSnow » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:04 pm

Just to understand this right.

I would not use a TRS to mono "Y" (or Insert) cable but instead just use a regular TRS (or instrument) cable yes?

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:20 am

ColinSnow wrote:Just to understand this right.

I would not use a TRS to mono "Y" (or Insert) cable but instead just use a regular TRS (or instrument) cable yes?
In this case, seeing as your mixer has separate send and receive jacks, then you don't need an insert cable. TRS or TS cables will work. One for the send, one for the receive.

As for the story, it was quite a weekend! We ended up at the campsite at around 2:00 that morning, freezing our asses off! Next day it took everything we had to drag ourselves out of our sleeping bags, it was so cold. And we couldn't understand why people kept walking through our campsite, until we realized that we were right in the middle of a well used trail! Of course, we stayed right where we were. It was a party, and we figured, "Hey! The more the merrier!" We were pretty much wrecked the entire weekend, and were quite the source of "entertainment" for those people walking through "our campsite!" We weren't obnoxious or anything, and we weren't blocking the trail at all. It was pretty cool, and the hikers were really nice! But talk about your lost weekend...

Oh, and that guy with the coffee had every right to to deck me for what I did! But he didn't, it was kind of a different time back then, and he was very cool about it. He saw that we were really cold, and short on shekels. Of course, I thanked him profusely, but it was still very presumptuous of me to just dunk my donut in his coffee like I did, before he could even answer me! (I was a very cheeky monkey back then!) :shock:

When I was trying to come up with a new user name years later, that experience was the first thing that came to mind. So I went with it, and "mind if I dunk?" became "mayidunk" because the former was longer than 8 characters, and after all those years, it still cracked me up that I did that!

That happened a lifetime ago... Teenage wasteland, to be sure!! :lol:

Headphones

Re:

Post by Headphones » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:16 pm

mayidunk wrote:The specific connections on the ringmod would be:
  • 1. Mic > mixer mic in

2. Mixer effects send > MF-102 audio in

3. MF-102 audio out > mixer effects receive

4. Mixer audio out > amplifier instrument in

Thanx for the tip! I tried this on the MF-101, and it does indeed work, but it probably doesn't sound as good as the MF-102 in that regards. But I'm not complaining....