MURF as drum machine

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Croyote

MURF as drum machine

Post by Croyote » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:32 am

I'm wondering who else here uses their MURF as a drum machine.

I've started to really get into this lately. I'm primarily a solo composer and occasional performer, and I've been looking for solutions for a while now that don't challenge my hermetic tendencies.

All these years my answer was right there in front of me. I only discovered (or rediscovered) it once the drum machine I intended to buy was made unavailable - the Metasonix D-1000. I say rediscovered because I had started to use the MURF and Cluster Flux to come up with percussive textures while I was doing session work for a local Alternative musician, but I never really explored it on my own.

Having an EHX 45000 Looper means I'm don't always have to relegate my MURF as a drum machine, but the possibilities this fooger offers are enough for many a musical expedition. So far I have these tracks:

https://soundcloud.com/crowyote/variati ... -inte-muru

https://soundcloud.com/crowyote/lunyote-bluez

MRNUTTY

Re: MURF as drum machine

Post by MRNUTTY » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:39 am

That reminds me of the the first time I heard someone use a Drum kit Vocode a harmonically rich synth patch. Pure delight! The memory is vague but I think it was off a vinyl/plastic magazine insert for some early PAiA-era DYI vocoder project or product.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:07 am

Very sweet.

I really like the tones. Well done, sir.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:23 am

Thanks guys! It especially mean something to hear from a fellow sonic shaman, Namah.

Cheers! :D

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:37 am

:D :wink:

deadhedgehog

Post by deadhedgehog » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:42 am

I do!

I use it also as an advanced metronome

Me Mushroom

Post by Me Mushroom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Croyote: don't know if you still check the forum, but I also us the MuRF as a rhythem/beat keeper. I run my EHX super ego effects loop into the MuRF for a constant signal, and then the ego line out to the rest of my guitar set up. I run the MuRF into a bass amp and Vox AC30 for stereo effect. My guitar signal is also out to the Vox and bass amp for stereo. I think of the whole set up like a sitar, where the guitar line is the lead and the MuRF fro pm the super ego as the sympathetic strings. Here is a link to my soundcloud, check out the song, Moogadelic, and you will see what I'm talking about. Guitar and MuRF sounds are all done together in one take, and the low synth bass sound is the Animoog for iPad added after. You have sold me in the cluster flux for more texture after the MuRF however. Thanks for the info and insoeration of sound. The guitar is going fom the super ego to a cry baby -> Carl Martin plexi tone -> MF101 -> MF102 -> MF103 -> boss rotary ensemble -> boss space Echo and then out to the bass amp and the Vox. All I really need now is the cluster flux and the anologue delay and I'll have my ideal set up. Enjoy paddling out on the moogs!

https://soundcloud.com/total-hypnotic-clarity

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:15 am

Very cool, Me Mushroom. Delightful harmonics and textures. Both you and Croyote have discovered some interesting tones in your exploration of the MuRF. I'm now following the two of you on Soundcloud. :mrgreen:

Plus, now I'm excited to get home and play with my MuRF :lol:

Me Mushroom

Post by Me Mushroom » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Do you have any sonic explorations yourself Nama? I'm always looking for inspiration on sound in general, but espescially how to use my Moogerfoogers.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:14 pm

When I had a 105m ( I really miss that fooger) it was almost always connected to my Baby Box. It was a fantastic rhythm duo.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:30 am

Cool stuff, Me Mushroom.

I'm still around and using my MURF, but not as much right now as I've been liquidating and refining my rig.

My setups gone through lots of changes and shall continue to do so. At some point I want to get back to using the MURF as my drum machine, but for now it's back in panning, flanging, sequencing and phasing mode for me. I'm trying to replicate on recordings what I sound like live without a looper or any other backing tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/crowyote/villa-l ... -no1-vo-96
https://soundcloud.com/crowyote

Since these, I've upgraded from Audacity (gasp!) to Reaper, and have been learning my way around it. I've simplified for a while and added a tape delay (Fulltone TTE), but only a few raw tracks that I've yet to edit or upload feature of the Moog pedals. Now that I'm figuring out how to record three simultaneous tracks, the MURF and such will find their way back in the mix.

deadhedgehog

Post by deadhedgehog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:17 pm

If you put a MF101 after the Murf when using it as a rhythmic sound source, then the env out gives you possibilities for synced patterns on other foogers

Croyote

MURF as Panner

Post by Croyote » Fri May 08, 2015 9:37 pm

The MURF just does the most incredible job of creating unique spatial solutions in your music. In this track I mic'd the Vo-96 in the center and had the MURF panning hard right and left.

https://soundcloud.com/crowyote/villa-l ... 1928-vo-96

I just picked up a Bass MURF and so far I think this what I really need on the end of my chain for the Vo-96. It sounds like magic and doesn't diminish the bass frequencies as much as the MURF.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat May 09, 2015 8:04 am

Sounds really good!! :)

Croyote

Bass MURF

Post by Croyote » Wed May 13, 2015 5:41 am

Thanks stiiiiiiive!

So far I'm really digging my Bass MURF and it has earned the placed at the end of my Vo-96 chain. I think it does a better job at preserving bass frequencies:

https://soundcloud.com/crowyote/villa-l ... -no8-vo-96