Good amp for LP?

Everything Phatty.
Hedorah

Good amp for LP?

Post by Hedorah » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey guys, new LP owner and new to this site as well. I've been doing some research regarding amps for the Little Phatty and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Currently using a guitar amp but that doesn't seem to be a very popular option.
I would like the possibility of playing live and my budget is under $500. Appreciate any tips, thanks

Electrolight

Re: Good amp for LP?

Post by Electrolight » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:40 pm

well it's not an amp but check out the Yamaha stagepass 300, way better sound than a keyboard amp, I play my stage piano on this for gigs

Assar

Post by Assar » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:56 am

You should use a bass amp for the LP.
In an instrument exhibition lately, I listened to the LP through an EBS combo bass amp. I sounded great!
I think it was av 12' or 15' brother to this one.
http://www.thomann.de/se/prod_pdfreview ... ev_ebs.pdf
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't recommend using a bass amp for an instrument that can operate out of the specs of the amp.

Id get a good keyboard amp that is designed for a broader frequency spectrum.
The Roland KC series are great. The 550 and the 880 are very suitable for electronic drums or synthesizers.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Hedorah

Post by Hedorah » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, i'm going to look into those!

mhuxtable

Post by mhuxtable » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Yep the Roland KC amps are great, come in many different sizes and power ratings, and can be found used fairly easily and at great prices. I have 2!

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:51 pm

I also use a Roland, the KC350, and sure, it works well- BUT, I prefer playing synth through my bass rigs. The amp itself can cover the frequencies produced by the LP, you just need to be sure to have a big enough speaker cab to handle it. I'm using either a Mesa Walkabout, or Mesa M3 Carbine, (preferred) as the amp, and Aguilar DB series cabs. I think the bass rigs sound "better" than the Roland KC by a long shot.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:53 pm

I also run my Little Phatty and Slim Phatty through my bass rig (but I guess that's because I'm a bassist and use synth for bass purposes mainly aswell as some mid-high stuff).

My Rig is:
Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II Bi-Amp Head
2 x Gallien Krueger 410 RBH 8ohm Cabinets (with tweeters)

700watts to the woofers and 50watts to the tweeters.

Sounds amazing for what I do (bass and mid-high stuff) but I think if you're going to play very high frequency stuff, a keyboard amp like the Roland KC Series may be better suited.

Thanks,
David Smyth
New Zealand
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

PHC

Post by PHC » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Although I generally agree with EricK that LP's spectrum is out of a bass amp range I would recommend that You check out Roland Cube 60XL Bass Amp (or the bigger one, 120, can't remember). It has a midrange coaxial speaker, it sounds nice (not much high end though), but You get amp simulation, delay, reverb, eq + looper and a total recal solo channel which is great. It's a great piece of gear.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Ive got the Cube 30, use it for basses, but I have also used it for other instruments, if the line out was directly into a mixer for recording purposes. I used the amp for delays and flange, but not to make usage of the speaker.

The problem that we synth players face is that we have the entire audio spectrum at our disposal, so this leaves us needing a PA system with subs I think rather than relying solely on an amp. I think that players have utilized various amps over the years though so this is obviously something that I haven't worked around. I am lacking in the amps deartment for all of my instruments.

But the KC series do pack a punch for their size. I have heard what the 550 does with an electric drumkit, and I have run my Mirco through an 880 and both amps do extremely well. I thought the saw was going to rip stuff up.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Gentle Giant

Post by Gentle Giant » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:42 pm

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:03 pm

there's this saying "friends don't let friends by Behringer" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:12 pm

I ran mine through a GK 400rb into a Hughes and Kettner 1x15 rig I use for bass. It prompted a call to the men in blue.

I thought it sounded awesome, evidently the neighbors did not agree.
-e

insert :visions of the South Park episode with "the brown note"

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:58 pm

Monitors are an option.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:57 pm

For the longest time, I swore by my Peavey KB/A 60. Sadlly, a friend borrowed it, and fried it. :( I then bought a Phonic MK-50, and I LOVE it! For a lightweight, affordable Chinese amplifier, it really sounds great! I daresay, almost as good as the Peavey! Otherwise, the Peavey KB 3 is a good choice. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.