Moog iPhone app

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
museslave

Re: Moog iPhone app

Post by museslave » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:42 am

MarkM wrote:
The problem is that if the company which manufactures your precision musical equipment starts catering to the specifically-consumer market, they discover that that is where the money is,
I don't think Moog Music was ever unaware of this.
I think your response is disingenuous. You know exactly what I mean, and whether you agree with the point I'm making or not, it is somewhat silly to focus on this aspect which really has nothing to do with the point you know I'm making.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:30 am

I just bought this App. I like analog, I like good digital, and I like tapping on a fun App on the iPhone when stuck in a commute. Its all good. Does Moog do analog because its superior, or because its what Moog does best? There's no supremist thinking going on, Moog *is* history in analog synthesis so of course Moog continue to make analog synths. For the life of me I don't really understand where the Moog Guitar or the iPhone Filtatron fit in. In my opinion, the iPhone app is like a keyring or poster: its not a Moog but its a connection with a brand that makes you feel good. So I bought it, so sue me.
I've stopped talking now.

synthmann

Post by synthmann » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:54 am

Just bought Filtatron and discovered it can be used as one vco monosynth albeit without traditional keyboard but with the XY pad or the Release knob in the vco settings to tap on and trigger notes. If you set release to on then the note will not sound indefinitely and you can use it as a more traditional synth.

And it sounds really really good! I guess this shows that if Moog wants to they can make a very convincing software emulation of the real thing, sounding better than the competition in software land. Even the dry vco sounds fat and warm and that's fantastic. Now I hope this is the stepping stone to a fully fledged Vsti!

By the way I use it on iPad which works like a charm and the large XY pads are very convenient.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:41 am

Just got the app. It's very good and will be very useful for making music. Good job, Moog!
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:56 am

museslave wrote:
MarkM wrote:
The problem is that if the company which manufactures your precision musical equipment starts catering to the specifically-consumer market, they discover that that is where the money is,
I don't think Moog Music was ever unaware of this.
I think your response is disingenuous. You know exactly what I mean, and whether you agree with the point I'm making or not, it is somewhat silly to focus on this aspect which really has nothing to do with the point you know I'm making.
Dude - leave off attacking Mark. Moog is a COMPANY first and foremost. The Bob Moog foundation is something ELSE. GET IT?
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:01 pm

WOW!!!

The good folks at Moog Music have done it again.

This is one of the coolest apps I have, and they can do so much more with it easily. They could add a murf, ring mod etc. I'm not complaining at all that these things are missing. I'm only saying this is very hip indeed. I hope they keep on developing and perfecting the app/s. As much as I love my hardware, this software is just as cool of a tool for making music. I will have to play with taking sound apps from my Iphone and running line in on my Ipad. It really is a new way of making music.

For you people out there who are hardware snobs do yourself a favor GET OVER IT. The Filtatron is a phuc load of fun. Thank you Moog.

This conclude my exuberant fanboy public service announcement.

Dean

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:21 pm

I also found this last night. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/features/ This little bit will come in handy.

Dean

alexvandervorm

Post by alexvandervorm » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:32 pm

is the Irig compatible with the filtatron? amos? :?:

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:02 pm

Who sez that Moog had much involvement in the App at all? Audio DSP skills are totally unrelated to anything Moog have made so far. If I'm wrong, then I would be very pleased to be wrong. This is IMO a Moog designed and branded App, but not made by Moog.
I've stopped talking now.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:04 pm

This is one of the coolest apps I have, and they can do so much more with it easily. They could add a murf, ring mod etc. I'm not complaining at all that these things are missing.
Perhaps future apps will include these. It would be great if they could all integrate like hardware foogers.
Mark Mahoney

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:25 pm

LivePsy wrote:Who sez that Moog had much involvement in the App at all? Audio DSP skills are totally unrelated to anything Moog have made so far. If I'm wrong, then I would be very pleased to be wrong. This is IMO a Moog designed and branded App, but not made by Moog.
Credits on the app say this:

Concept Lead: Amos Gaynes
Code: Chris Wolfe (Jasuto)
Art: Shaun Ellwood
Loops: Ben Hovey, Chris Wolfe
Inspiration: Dr. Robert A. Moog
Mark Mahoney

mmp

Post by mmp » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Jasuto is a cool app that works like a modular synth, but has interesting gravitational auto- connecting patch points that can be affected by modulation.

Hard to explain, but easy to grasp when working in the graphic environment.

Regards,

MM
Voyager RME, 1974 Model D, Model D Reissue, MultiMoog
CP251-MP201-VX351-VX352-MF101-MF102-MF103-MF107
Moog Parametric EQ, 500 Series Delay (2), 500 Series Ladder Filter (2)

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:01 pm

I have been using the new Moog app for about 2 hours now.
FUN!
FUN!
It sounds good.
There are some neat sounds to be made with the ipod touch.

Strangly.... my Jasuto app does not load anymore. :x
I updated my ipod and Juasto quit working.

So far, the Moog app is my favorite music app. :mrgreen:

Initial impressions are good!!!!

thanks Moog........ keep it up.
Release more.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

HB3

Post by HB3 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:45 pm

I like it a lot. Good going, Moog!

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:37 am

I would love to see a iPad version or app. from Moog..... :mrgreen: