Moog iPhone app

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
nikola

Re: Moog iPhone app

Post by nikola » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:27 pm

"The heart of the Filtatron is a lovingly-modeled 4-pole resonant Moog Ladder Filter… the same filter that gives Moog instruments their characteristic warm, thick sound. Use it to shape the sounds supplied by the on-board oscillator, sampler and line input."

the same filter? ok than. i am not spending my money anymore on a hardware that sounds like a bloody cellphone :shock:

there are others, you know, and they are making instruments :evil:
i'm ordering oberheim tomorrow. before he turns in to washing machine

"the same" ? it hurts ... like hell
was i pushed or did i fall ?

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 pm

goldphinga wrote:im glad theyre taking their time to get the poly just right..
What proof do you have on this?
[email protected] wrote:looks cool, i'm getting on for sure :)
Me too... on the day it comes out.
October 18, 2010 .... $4.99 :mrgreen:

Nobody has mentioned the high pass Moog filter.

I hope Moog starts a dedicated forum.

Portable Moog... I'm in!!!!

I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

I may even do some recording in Logic...... maybe even a little trickery and throw in a "real" Mooger 101 to see if it can be picked out.

I am happy to see this and wish Moog the best.

I would like to see Moog's take on more apps. (are you reading this Amos!) :D
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 am

THe First Moog aps I heard about were not real moog. I am not too fond of ripoffs. However, Bob endorsed the Arturia Moog plugins, and I have used both the Modular and Mini in various recordings on old albums. Not that I just jump in line with whatever Bob says is great and good, but from my understanding, he wouldn’t have let his name or logo grace the cover of it if it weren’t on the level. The same goes for the Moog branded ap. I don't have or want an iphone, I don't particularly care for the fact that all-in-one phones do everything but make calls, so whether or not Moog makes one doesn't affect me one way or the other.

A few years ago, before the OS came out, my partner Gabe said they need to make a Wifi Voyager, because people were controlling various parameters with Wii remoteds and things. Imagine hacking into a Voyager via wifi…

I can totally get into the ipad as a controller. I think anything like that is a great tool, especially if it LACKS cables because Im short on cables.

I can get behind the ap, but I don’t think people should be so uptight about digital either. If it works, it works. Moog isn’t going to abandon analogue anytime soon. There were probably people back in the day that didn’t want to embrace midi or digi controlled analogue synths.

As much as I sit here and try to think of new products, try to figure out their marketing strategy to justify my ideas, I know don’t have any business telling Mike A. how to run his business. As long as Moog stays in the positive and thrives in this time of economic hell, let them put together revamps of their products all day long, jump on the current tech trends, and when they pump out the MoogerFooger we have been waiting for, and the Polyphonic Modular tabletop voice expanding sequencer, then we can all graciously forget we had this conversation about them going digital and play with our toys and thank them humbally.

I also think this is probably the best way that Moog can get some wonderful exposure and brand recognition to a generation of people as young as 9 or so running around with Iphones. We often forget how small of a demographic we are, and as popular as Moog is, most of their stuff is WAY out of peoples budgets. Let them grow up and yearn for the real stuff!

E
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

nikola

Post by nikola » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:27 am

EricK, i hope you right, and i don't have anything against digital staff.

I just hate the idea that some 9 year old kid could grow up thinking it's the same thing (analog and modeling).

who needs portable fake analog? kids, yes, but grown up people, who decided to be musicians? there is no cheap way to make a living from music. you have to invest!
i am a big music and sound lover, and i hope future brings us better sound and music, real things, not almost that real.

and great (more or less) achievements in history of mankind are done by taking a risk. always!

running a company could be another thing, and i understand that. but siting on two chairs brings nothing. we all have to decide, you can't sell hardware telling people it is oh so good sounding, it is analog and it has discrete components inside etc. , and in the same time selling software telling them what ?!?

it is a bad marketing tactic is all i'm telling.

anyway, that's what i fell about it.
:)

p.s

i will be calling in a 10years or so for my little phatty spare parts. moog, pleas be there, don't go totally virtual! :D

edit. i made some changes to text above, i hope it's sounds less personal now and more objective :)
Last edited by nikola on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:26 am

nikola wrote:"The heart of the Filtatron is a lovingly-modeled 4-pole resonant Moog Ladder Filter… the same filter that gives Moog instruments their characteristic warm, thick sound. Use it to shape the sounds supplied by the on-board oscillator, sampler and line input."

the same filter? ok than. i am not spending my money anymore on a hardware that sounds like a bloody cellphone :shock:

there are others, you know, and they are making instruments :evil:
i'm ordering oberheim tomorrow. before he turns in to washing machine

"the same" ? it hurts ... like hell

you're taking this rather personally --- "the same filter" was a poorly phrased statement - they said it was modeled in the first place. should it surprise any of us terribly that moog is a business?

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:29 am

EricK wrote:THe First Moog aps I heard about were not real moog. I am not too fond of ripoffs. However, Bob endorsed the Arturia Moog plugins, and I have used both the Modular and Mini in various recordings on old albums. Not that I just jump in line with whatever Bob says is great and good, but from my understanding, he wouldn’t have let his name or logo grace the cover of it if it weren’t on the level. The same goes for the Moog branded ap. I don't have or want an iphone, I don't particularly care for the fact that all-in-one phones do everything but make calls, so whether or not Moog makes one doesn't affect me one way or the other.

A few years ago, before the OS came out, my partner Gabe said they need to make a Wifi Voyager, because people were controlling various parameters with Wii remoteds and things. Imagine hacking into a Voyager via wifi…

I can totally get into the ipad as a controller. I think anything like that is a great tool, especially if it LACKS cables because Im short on cables.

I can get behind the ap, but I don’t think people should be so uptight about digital either. If it works, it works. Moog isn’t going to abandon analogue anytime soon. There were probably people back in the day that didn’t want to embrace midi or digi controlled analogue synths.

As much as I sit here and try to think of new products, try to figure out their marketing strategy to justify my ideas, I know don’t have any business telling Mike A. how to run his business. As long as Moog stays in the positive and thrives in this time of economic hell, let them put together revamps of their products all day long, jump on the current tech trends, and when they pump out the MoogerFooger we have been waiting for, and the Polyphonic Modular tabletop voice expanding sequencer, then we can all graciously forget we had this conversation about them going digital and play with our toys and thank them humbally.

I also think this is probably the best way that Moog can get some wonderful exposure and brand recognition to a generation of people as young as 9 or so running around with Iphones. We often forget how small of a demographic we are, and as popular as Moog is, most of their stuff is WAY out of peoples budgets. Let them grow up and yearn for the real stuff!

E
in total agreement, here here E...

nikola

Post by nikola » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:47 am

Veeger wrote:you're taking this rather personally --- "the same filter" was a poorly phrased statement - they said it was modeled in the first place. should it surprise any of us terribly that moog is a business?
of course not. it is a business today. but ..
it was not always just a business, ones upon a time it was a dream of a man who took a risk to give this dream a birth.

it is a business, but business don't produce magic. dreams do :D

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:42 am

nikola wrote:
Veeger wrote:you're taking this rather personally --- "the same filter" was a poorly phrased statement - they said it was modeled in the first place. should it surprise any of us terribly that moog is a business?
of course not. it is a business today. but ..
it was not always just a business, ones upon a time it was a dream of a man who took a risk to give this dream a birth.

it is a business, but business don't produce magic. dreams do :D
bob is no longer with us though. but cyril is doing a bang up job so far!!!

nikola

Post by nikola » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:55 am

Veeger, i don't want to discredit mr. Cyirl for his work, so far he has don some wonderful things.

i just thought this iphone business could be a wrong step. I see it like mixing apples and oranges. and worse,

softh synts and analog modeling are to blame for this lack of analogs in market (just look at Roland and Korg and Yamaha). way should we people use analog modeling instead of real machines ? is there something (if anything) :lol: softsynth can do and modern analog can not ?

and about price, well if someone can buy an Iphone.. think :idea:

But i am not running his company, so it was just my personal opinion. No need to fight :) I'm not saying am wright and others are wrong, am simple expressing my thoughts about it.

I appolagise for being to harsh. but i'm dissapointed. sorry :oops:

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:40 am

nikola wrote:Veeger, i don't want to discredit mr. Cyirl for his work, so far he has don some wonderful things.

i just thought this iphone business could be a wrong step. I see it like mixing apples and oranges. and worse,

softh synts and analog modeling are to blame for this lack of analogs in market (just look at Roland and Korg and Yamaha). way should we people use analog modeling instead of real machines ? is there something (if anything) :lol: softsynth can do and modern analog can not ?

and about price, well if someone can buy an Iphone.. think :idea:

But i am not running his company, so it was just my personal opinion. No need to fight :) I'm not saying am wright and others are wrong, am simple expressing my thoughts about it.

I appolagise for being to harsh. but i'm dissapointed. sorry :oops:
oh nikola I never thought this was a fight. I think this is a great marketing move for Moog. when I get an iPad I think to get this moog app. anyhow... PEACE brotha.

nikola

Post by nikola » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:05 am

peace to everyone of us !! :) :)

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Does anyone know if you can get line level in to this and use it as a fooger type device, or is it just a cool self contained toy? Ether way Monday morning I'll be down loading it to to my Ipad.

Dean

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:39 pm

nikola wrote: softh synts and analog modeling are to blame for this lack of analogs in market (just look at Roland and Korg and Yamaha). way should we people use analog modeling instead of real machines ? is there something (if anything) :lol: softsynth can do and modern analog can not ?
Soft synths are here to stay and evolve. No instrument manufacturer should hide their head in the sand. Soft synths can do plenty of things analogue can't. Check out Native Instruments' Reaktor. Then again, I think analogue can do things soft synths can't. There's room in this world for both. As I have always said, whatever the instrument, if it can make sounds, I'm interested.

I am looking forward to the iPhone app. An item like that will be a good and inexpensive way to draw attention to the Moog Music line of instruments. Having seen the company recently introduce the Taurus III, Voyager XL, and now the Slim Phatty, it doesn't appear to me that Moog is abandoning their analogue line of instruments. As far as I can tell analogue has had a rebirth from many manufacturers in the past few years.

So don't let the iPhone/iPad apps bother you. Rather, you should embrace them as new instruments for musical inspiration.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

davidd

Post by davidd » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Why can't we all just get along? I agree with MarkM >
Soft synths are here to stay and evolve. No instrument manufacturer should hide their head in the sand. Soft synths can do plenty of things analogue can't. Check out Native Instruments' Reaktor. Then again, I think analogue can do things soft synths can't. There's room in this world for both. As I have always said, whatever the instrument, if it can make sounds, I'm interested.
But the analog supremacists have a friend in T Bone Burnett, who says the future of music is analog:

http://mymusicthing.com/fmc-2-t-bone-bu ... -internet/

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:52 pm

This might be out there....

In our culture, we have McDonalized everything. Heacache? Take a pill. Stomach Ache? Pepto. Weight loss? Trimspa. Need help in the bedroom? Pills. We have fast food fast cars, internet karate classes where you can get your black belt without ever entering a dojo. Our culture is so intent on being instantly gratified that it has turned into an almost permanant paradigm.

The reason why software synths have evolved is because you can get them very cheap, and most people that I know bootleg everything anyway because they don't have 1000 dollars to spend on protools software. Anyone that is good enough on a google search can find just about any piece of software they want illegally. COmputers are also cheaper than ever before and for the first time in history, children have cell phones, and the iphones and smart phones are changing the nature of this technology before our eyes. Phones are making things such as cameras (for everyone except the professionals), netbooks, gps navigations, and those electronic books (kindles) will dissappear. I read an article about this. The market is shifting away from these devices because the consumer demand for them is being satisfied by cell phones that do all of these things. Even the ipad was designed before the I phone and apple intentionally released them knowing that it is an obsolete technology in and of itself.

So let people use softwarez all day long. Let them be content with that. Musically, alot of people can't tell the difference anyway, and if it makes good music it is going to be a viable medium. I dont want to see companies like Moog go down because of them, but they have such a brand that if they put wooden end cheeks on a turd they would win awards.

In a lot of respects also, if everyone goes to software, then it gives us an edge for amassing hardware.

My father let me borrow his Fantom G8 for awhile, and I was experimenting at length with the various sounds and was tweaking the voyager all the while. I took a break, sat down in front of the tv and one of the first commercials that I heard I thought to myself that the quality of sounds of the instruments on the commercial wasn't as good as what I was just messing with. Im not going to say that what I was doing was musically better, but the quality of having good hardware really makes a difference.

We are also living in a time where, since the inception of recording devices, they are more widely available and cheaper than ever before. If you can build yourself a computer for a few hundred bucks and download gobs of software, you can make cd quality music. Hell, some of the programs even play themselves when you get into sampling and all of that.

So software is here to stay, just like an artist with a number 2 pencil and a napkin can express himself is no less an artist with a platinum easel and the rarest of all colors.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.