Should I upgrade from LP to voyager???

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
otto

Should I upgrade from LP to voyager???

Post by otto » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:38 pm

Basically I've been thinking about this for some time but I just have a hard time justifying it. After selling the LP I would need an additional $1K to buy the voyager. I'm not sure I feel that the additional features are worth $1k especially considering that I could keep the LP and still have the basic modern moog sound and have 1000 bucks to spend on a seperate monosynth (and there are many that fall into this price catagory). So a 3rd osc, lots of CV goodness, a more flexable filter and a nicer case vs another completely different synth (Pro-One, FR XS, etc. etc. etc.)...

To further my consternation is that I am not a collector and actually don't want to have a bunch of synths (current I've been able to downscale to 2 analog polys, a digital poly and a mono). So while the additional mono seems like a better utility of $1000, I like the idea of having one really nice mono... arg...
Last edited by otto on Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:55 pm

I saved for 11 months for my Voyager. I also sold a Korg Triton Pro for it.
I regret nothing at all.

All this happened before the LP was announced.

I would say go for it and do not look back.
I have no desire for a Phatty, but would like a FRXS. (already own a 777)

The Voyager has a touch screen that can be very cool. Gate possibilities and CV posibilities. Using it to control the 104z delays is so cool.

Anoither option is using the Mod busses as sources.

I thaught long and hard in the year while I saved for my Voyager.
Should I continue expanding my Dot com system? (extremely small)
Should I buy a Virus TI?

In the end, I just kept thinking that no matter what I baught, it would not make me want a Voyager any less..... so why not just get what I really wanted??

Again..... I am a very happy Voyager owner.

Sometimes I put the Mooger Phase in the loop. That way I can send output 2 (aux out) to an Envelope controlled VCA and have way more options. Unfiltered oscillators that can be processed as I wish. Really the possibilities are endless.

It is a great synth.
I would imagine that if you purchased a FR XS, you would really enjoy it, but still, in the back of your mind..... that Voyager would still be there!

There is only one way to cure that.
Last edited by analoghaze on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:11 pm

Too bad you can't have two really nice monos. I'd really like a Voyager but I won't give up my Phatty for one.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:23 pm

The only thing I like about the Fatty over the V'ger is the mod wheels. If I could have Fatty wheels on my voyager! The only other Mono Synth I would like is an Odyssey.
(But that isn't going to stop me from building a modular soon. I've already designed it.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

rodion

Post by rodion » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:30 pm

there's NO comparison between the LP and the voyager.
just go to a music shop and play both of them side by side.
I personally find the LP to be a mediocre synth for being a moog one:
I mean it sounds quite good but when your fingers touch the voyager...
the differences in terms of sound and instrument design are pretty evident.
not because the voyager has more features: it simply sounds MUCH better.
I was not so convinced about spending thousands of euros for a mono synth,
but when I tried the voyager I drastically changed my mind.
the same happened to other musicians friends I have:
"nahhh I don't want to spend so much for a mono synth...nothing compares with the original model d...".blah blah blah. after coming to my studio and playing the voyager for some days, they changed their mind and invested in one. same happened to me.
good musical instruments cost good money, there's nothing you can do about it. but much better to own a single amazing monosynth than not a bunch of average ones.
try with the OS: it's an amazingly designed instrument (whereas the LP to me is not), inspiring to play and built like a tank. it costs many bucks less than the regular voyager and I find it an very nice deal for the money. no one complains because arp2600 or ms20 have no midi nor presets. also steinways don't have! just hurry up because they're nearly out of production.
and if you want midi for precise timing control, you can buy a midi to cv converter for less than 100€.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:13 am

rodion wrote:there's NO comparison between the LP and the voyager.
just go to a music shop and play both of them side by side.
I personally find the LP to be a mediocre synth for being a moog one:
I mean it sounds quite good but when your fingers touch the voyager...
the differences in terms of sound and instrument design are pretty evident.
not because the voyager has more features: it simply sounds MUCH better.
I was not so convinced about spending thousands of euros for a mono synth,
but when I tried the voyager I drastically changed my mind.
the same happened to other musicians friends I have:
"nahhh I don't want to spend so much for a mono synth...nothing compares with the original model d...".blah blah blah. after coming to my studio and playing the voyager for some days, they changed their mind and invested in one. same happened to me.
good musical instruments cost good money, there's nothing you can do about it. but much better to own a single amazing monosynth than not a bunch of average ones.
try with the OS: it's an amazingly designed instrument (whereas the LP to me is not), inspiring to play and built like a tank. it costs many bucks less than the regular voyager and I find it an very nice deal for the money. no one complains because arp2600 or ms20 have no midi nor presets. also steinways don't have! just hurry up because they're nearly out of production.
and if you want midi for precise timing control, you can buy a midi to cv converter for less than 100€.
Pretty bold words, calling the LP cheap. I have made it a long term goal to purchase a Voyager. It was a drastic decision for me to get my LP, as it cost as much as what my bi-monthly paycheck was at the time. A Voyager OS is a whole month's pay for me! I understand and respect your opinion, but the LP is indeed a Moog, inside and out, and should be respected as such. Even with all the modifying I have done, my LP cost less than half of a Voyager Select...and with good reason.

However, all companies have their entry level products and their flagships. The flagships have more feaures, might be built better, etc. But the entry level products are for those who can't afford the flagship product, but want to own something comparable. I am continuously inspired by my LP, and will continue to be, and I know that there are many others out there who feel the same way. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:06 pm

I bought an LP S2 and loved it. The only thing I was left wanting was more knobs so I returned it for a Voyager. Now I have plenty of knobs to fiddle with.

I guess if you never owned an LP though, and never dug into it's sonic abilities, you wouldn't know just how good it sounds. Massive crushing basses, beautiful crystalline tones, just a treat to listen to.

One thing I know for sure, the LP sounds a touch more aggressive than the Voyager out of the box. But maybe you can get the exact same sound from the Voyager after editing, I don't know yet since I'm a new owner.

I say if you can afford a Voyager get one, no question about it.

January Jaunt

Post by January Jaunt » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:48 am

I upgraded from a LP to the Voyager, and i´m very happy with the decision i´ve made. I don´t think the LP are more aggressive, from what i can remember. Sure there´s the overload function, but you can get that effect by adding i.e. an alberta overdrive in the Mixer Out/Filter In. If you really need to, I haven´t. Plus the sound are more thicker due to the extra osc and the 32' setting on the osc´s. And I´m not even mentioning the extra sonic possibilities on the mini, such as pot mapping, the modulation section and the capability to add VX´s and CP´s and much more :shock:

I have even recreated some of my favorite LP patches on the mini, and they have been pushed aside by new voyager patches.

The only thing I miss by having a Phatty is the weight, the Voyager are pretty heavy to transport around. But i can live with that :)
http://www.januaryjaunt.dk / http://www.myspace.com/januaryjaunt

rodion

Post by rodion » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:25 pm

well, the topic is: would it be worthwhile to upgrade from a LP to a Voyager?
the short answer to me is: yes, definitely, even if it costs much more. it's not a matter of features, but, to me, a matter of sound and instrument design.
the LP is a good sounding synth, better than every plugin and of many other monosynths on the market. but, in my opinion (and I'm not the only one thinking like this) is not definitely the best sounding or the most inspiring moog instrument ever. want to buy a more affordable moog? go old school, go prodigy, go even micromoog. when you buy ferrari, you expect top quality. when you buy moog, you expect exactly the same. peace.