Received my Maple Anniversary Edition today...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
The Unknown

Received my Maple Anniversary Edition today...

Post by The Unknown » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:31 pm

Just thought I'd tell you all, I received my Maple AE today - really great looking machine. I plumbed it into my mixing desk this evening, and spent a couple of useful hours playing, which resulted in the creation of a great sounding Square Lead!

Not sure what the rest of you think, but having checked out the presets, I don't rate them that highly - good but not exceptional. I wonder if this is deliberate on the part of Moog Music, as fantastic presets tend to discourage you from creating your own sounds. Eighties synths were notorious for this, but then again, they were hardly user friendly when it came to programming new sounds.

Anyway, I'll let you all get on with whatever you are doing, and if possible, try to post some photos of my new friend at some point...

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:06 am

Congratulations! What presets did come with it? I never use the preses these days, I use my own patches. :)

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:28 am

Basically, it comes with the same sounds as the standard AE. I can see myself creating many patches with this great synth, as it is so user friendly, and just plain fun to play around with. I have been looking for something like this for years.

Glad to hear you're getting to grips with MIDI, by the way!

analogMan

Post by analogMan » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:21 am

Im interested in the Maple Anniversary... can you post some photos of it?

Thank you.
Powermac Dual 2.5 G5, Powerbook 12" 867
Motu 828, Firewire 410
TC Powercore
Cubase SX, Ableton Live, Reason, Traktor
Real Analog Synths

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:02 pm

Hi there, analogMan,

I'm am intending to post some photos of my maple AE.

For now, though, check out this image from Big City Music:

http://www.bigcitymusic.com/i/cat/New/1000389_L.jpg

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:17 pm

Hey Mr. Unknown, just checkin' the forum and noticed your from Kent, so am I! Was beginning to think I was the only one out here! Just got my Voyager so if you no any useful tricks let me know...
Look after your Moog

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:03 pm

Hi there, mate.

Good to know there's another Kent bod out there with a Voyager - I certainly will look after mine!

Which model do you have?

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:35 pm

I'm not as extravagant as you, had to go for the performer as money was an issue! I like the look though, reminds me of the original mini - wood is good. Didn't even know about the maple AE, thought the black version was ugly apart from the blue lights which are wicked.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:46 pm

As far as I know the Maple AE is only available through Big City Music in Los Angeles. They have a special edition signature Voyager also.

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:52 pm

Yes, the black version isn't as pleasing on the eye. I was originally going to buy one, and it was only due to a chance viewing of a posting on this forum, that I looked into the possibility of getting hold of a maple from the USA. Needless to say, I'm very glad I did!

The lights do look great, but I tend not to use them too much, in order to preserve their life.

Regarding tips, I don't know how familiar you are with synths generally, so it's a bit difficult, really. However, the best thing to do with the Voyager, is to find a preset you don't like - it shouldn't be hard - initialise it, and then start playing around. The thing is such a joy to use, and you will soon begin to see the relationship between the various sections of it.

Have fun!

analogMan

Post by analogMan » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:38 pm

Yeah I saw that 1 photo already... Im hoping to see a few more to convince me its worth the extra $$ over a regualr performer edition!

I played with one today at Sam Ash in NY... really wonderfull sound!
Motu 828, Firewire 410
TC Powercore
Real Analog Synths

jeepyboy

Post by jeepyboy » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:35 pm

Enjoy your new toy!

For what it's worth, I think the black AE version looked fairly crap and that the best look is the walnut stain. I think all the blue lights of the AE version look a bit gimmicky and detract from the 'classic' Moog analogue synth look. Unless you're on stage, perhaps.

That said, I do think the touch screen looks too black and boring and something like the Korg Kaos pad TS would be cool.

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:34 pm

If you're on stage, and have the AE facing you, then who else is going to see the backlight, unless you have the panel set flat, then it would be harder to reach the controls.

monads

Post by monads » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:41 pm

Why is everyone hating on the AE? I think it's a gorgeous instrument. It's not like Moog is committed to make everything in black cabinets now. Can't please the masses, buy hey you at leat have a choice which is nice.

analogMan

Post by analogMan » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:49 pm

I dont hate the AE at all... I think all the versions look very nice.

I like to see one with a red back light!
Motu 828, Firewire 410
TC Powercore
Real Analog Synths