Question about Ext Audio LED

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
slowdive

Question about Ext Audio LED

Post by slowdive » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:23 pm

I have an electric blue Voyager (OS 3.2). I just tried using external audio sources for the first time, and realized something strange.

My External Audio LED is ALWAYS ON, all the time. According to the manual, it is only supposed to come on when it is receiving a signal from an external source. When I plug in an external source (like a drum machine), the LED blinks when it is receiving the signal, but is still always on.

:idea: I just found pictures I took of my Voyager in June, and the External Audio LED was OFF in them. So this must be a recent thing!

Any ideas?? Thanks.

- Joe

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:59 pm

Do you have the gain all the way up? Perhaps what you are inputting is more than a line level signal.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

gd

Post by gd » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:26 pm

what happens when you turn the feature off via the software. I have 3.1 and if you punch the panel button twice you can bring up the ext. input to be used as a patch changer or ext. input.
Mini D, P'08 ..

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:41 pm

On 3.2 if you turn on the ext. audio via the mixer switch, no LED goes on until you have a signal overdriving it. If there is no audio going in, does the LED light?
Mark Mahoney

slowdive

Post by slowdive » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:45 am

Thanks for all the replies.

To answer your questions, the light is on from the moment I power up the Voyager. Even if I don't have anything plugged into the EXT AUDIO jack. External audio is also disabled in the mixer. I don't have the software so I'm not able to check anything that way.

Also, when I plug in a line-level signal, like a drum machine, the light stays illuminated and actually DIMS when it is clipping...very bizzare!! The dimming only happens when the volume knob is all the way up in the mixer. Otherwise, the led just stays on.

I've already contacted Moog, I'm thinking I'm gonna have to ship this back to them for repair :(

Joe

slowdive

Post by slowdive » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:46 am

Update: (just in case anyone else ever has this problem)

I spoke to Amos at Moog, and he feels it the transistor that controls the LED has failed. I'm shipping it back to Moog for repair.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:47 am

Tough luck, but it will be in good hands.
Mark Mahoney