HAS ANYONE TRUE-BYPASSED THEIR MOOGERS?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
spacefuzzz

HAS ANYONE TRUE-BYPASSED THEIR MOOGERS?

Post by spacefuzzz » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:44 pm

does moog offer this or do i have find another source. also do you fine tone loss with the moogers?
http://www.myspace.com/mospeadamusic

http://thisisspacefuzzz.blogspot.com/

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:22 pm

no tone loss only tone gain!
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

spacefuzzz

Post by spacefuzzz » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:10 pm

ah yes of course! what moogers do you have goldie?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:41 am

I wouldn't true-bypass my 'foogers. I kinda like the idea of a warm, analogue preamp adding a bit of flavour to my bass/guitar/rhodes/synth. You would probably have a bit of trouble matching the levels also.

It's nice overdrive too: just plug a hot signal in and turn up the drive knob!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:06 am

I think too many guitarists make too much out of "true bypass." Perhaps if you were using all digital processors with cheap components and a poor design, that might mean something. All that matters is whether your audio sounds good or not.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

spacefuzzz

Post by spacefuzzz » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:39 am

well theres alot of fuss about t-pass because alot of pedals do suck treble.
but yeah my mooger phaser plays tricks on me sometimes. it sounds beautiful some days, not other days. maybe its just me.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:45 am

i have the sd delay, the phaser and the lpf. they all have a really goey sound which i love. theres too muc treble in modern music anyway and these boxes can preserve that or get rid, which is what i prefer.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:06 pm

I haven't modified my Moog pedals, as I pretty much use them in the studio only. If they're plugged in, they're on. If I were to use them on a guitar pedal board, I would probably get one of those tue bypass loop pedals instead of modifying the pedal.

Bryan

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:20 am

Bryan T wrote:If I were to use them on a guitar pedal board, I would probably get one of those tue bypass loop pedals instead of modifying the pedal.
I think that's what I'd probably do too, but I also tend to use them for recording only.

I have to agree with most of the other people that have posted that the Moogerfooger preamp is great, even with the effect bypassed.

I must say, though, that I've noticed with the MF-101 low-pass filter, when used with bass, there's a slight volume drop if the mix is set all the way over to effect. It's not that bad, but enough to make me wish there was an output level control like on the MF-103 and -104. Anyone else notice this?

northern hope

Post by northern hope » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:44 am

There is a definite volume drop, but it really just takes some fine tuning when you're recording. I would never think of using a by pass, but I only use them for recording as well.

I think they make for nice pre amps, too. I have the 101, 102, 103 and 104 and my voyager goes through them before going into a tube pre. There's probably a slight loss of top end, but that's basically the essence of analog, isn't it? You listen to any of the classic recordings from the 70's and they sound so musical because the top end is so tucked in as compared to nowadays where it dominates the mix.

JonnyG

Post by JonnyG » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:52 pm

i have my ring mod and lowpass running thru a tb unit, because they add a noticeable hiss that i dont like. the phaser i dont tb, because it sounds fine.

if you like the sound that the bypassed moogs make, then dont tb them...

stereordinary

Post by stereordinary » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:36 pm

The 101 manual says that the drive knob is always on even when the pedal is bypassed. The easy way around that is to simply turn it all the way down. That doesn't work with the 105 though I don't think.

For that matter, true-bypass is a bit over-rated and the fooger's click-free on/off is preferable to a guy like me that runs an eleven-pedal-board.

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:27 am

I use to run an MF-101, MF-103 and MF-104 on my pedalboard but now I'm down to use the MF-104. If I go back to using the MF-101 I think it'll be with a true bypass looper for one reason only, because I like to have my distortion or fuzz pedal before the 101 and I think the fuzz is slamming the 101 in bypass and I can't get the fuzz to cut through. If I turn up the fuzz it just slams the 101 harder and doesn't get any louder.

haven't noticed this problem while only using the MF-104.

Spank

Post by Spank » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:53 am

yes, i used the lehle d.loop to true bypass my LPF. the lehle is a wonderful product, and if you really want to use your moogerfoogers without that bypass crap going thru your signal, it is in your interest to invest in a looper. you seriously can't go wrong with a lehle.

i kid you not, it felt so good when i true bypassed my LPF for the first time. absolutely brilliant.

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:16 pm

I have used the mf-101, 102, 103, and 104Z on my pedalboard for quite some time and I'd have to say the opposite of what many have said here...they boost my signal sgnificantly. I also use some fuzz pedals before any of the moogerfoogers and have had no problems at all with the sound cutting through. I've got an analogman sun face fuzz which inherently has trouble boosting the signal but I goot say it works great with the moogerfoogers and also I use a lovetone big cheese a lot and it also ssounds great and very LOUD through the moogerfoogers. One thing I will say is that it definately takes some time to set up all the moogerfoogers and their respective drive controls so that they are not overloading too bad...although A little overloading sounds awesome, especially with guitar. The MF-104z is probably the worst out of any of them...it overloads really quickly although that might just be because it's the last pedal in my signal change. My advice is to spend some time really gettting all the drive controls worked out on your moogerfoogers so that they are all vibing together...when you do, trust me, yoiu wont want them true bypassed!