Trouble using Roland JX-08 as MIDI controller

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
hieronymous

Trouble using Roland JX-08 as MIDI controller

Post by hieronymous » Sat May 11, 2024 3:41 pm

I am trying to use my Roland Boutique JX-08 as a MIDI controller to play notes on my Moog Sirin (basically a Minitaur). The Sirin shows MIDI signal is coming (note on/off) but nothing plays. I know the Sirin works because I put it in drone mode, and was able to control it with my PK-5A bass pedals.

I am using the regular 5-pin MIDI out (I know the cable works b/c it worked with the PK-5A). I set the MIDI out to both "MIDI" and "all" on the JX-08. What is wrong? Can the JX-08 not be used to control other synths? Is there another setting I need to change? HELP!!!

hieronymous

Re: Trouble using Roland JX-08 as MIDI controller

Post by hieronymous » Sun May 12, 2024 6:42 pm

I realized something - it may be related to the fact that I'm also using the Roland K-25m keyboard - so the keyboard isn't triggering the Sirin directly, it's triggering the Roland synth, which is then sending some kind of MIDI message to the Sirin. I need to experiment with using the "numerical buttons as keyboard" on the JX-08.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 pm

Update: tried - failed

I just want a small keyboard that can control the Sirin via MIDI, and also be powered off of a power adaptor. I actually don't need many options at all, but want to be able to power the keyboard off of a power adapter, not by a computer via USB.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Tue May 14, 2024 5:51 am

Have you set the Sirin to receive on the same MIDI channel that the keyboard is transmitting ?

For devices that only have USB power you can plug them into a usb power adapter when you don't want power them from a computer.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Tue May 14, 2024 11:25 am

Acid Mitch wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:51 am Have you set the Sirin to receive on the same MIDI channel that the keyboard is transmitting ?

For devices that only have USB power you can plug them into a usb power adapter when you don't want power them from a computer.
Thank you, yes, both are set to channel 1 - the Sirin is receiving MIDI signals, it flashes when I play a key and again when I let go, but nothing comes out! It's so weird, the Sirin is fine b/c my bass pedals trigger it properly. I'm thinking it's something about the JX-08 - guess I gotta find a Roland forum lol

And thanks for the advice re: USB power - I finally figured that out on Saturday!

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Wed May 15, 2024 6:02 am

Do you have another synth to try with the jx/k25m ? Either that or try hooking it up to a midi monitor ( like midiox)to see what its sending.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Wed May 15, 2024 9:55 pm

Acid Mitch wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:02 am Do you have another synth to try with the jx/k25m ? Either that or try hooking it up to a midi monitor ( like midiox)to see what its sending.
I did try it with my Grandmother and that didn't work either. I think a MIDI monitor is beyond me! It's no longer urgent, but I would like to know - or maybe I just pick up a cheap AKAI controller...