v1.1.0 Bug Reports Thread

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
audiosampling

v1.1.0 Bug Reports Thread

Post by audiosampling » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:00 am

I suggest listing version 1.1.0 bugs (latest version to date) in one single thread, to make it easier for Moog staff to collect the info.

I'll start.

VCA level as a MOD DESTINATION only works for negative percentages, not positive.

Steps to reproduce :

Start from INIT PATCH
Reduce VCA Level to zero
Assign MW to VCA level, set to 100%
Turn the MW all the way up : nothing happens - VCA keeps zeroed.

audiosampling

Re: v1.1.0 Bug Reports Thread

Post by audiosampling » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:11 am

HOLD (SUSTAIN) MIDI Messages not recognised from (physical) MIDI IN

Master keyboard connected to the Moog One: can play notes, but not hold a chord using a sustain pedal connected to the master keyboard. The sustain pedal connected directly to the Moog One works. Any other synth worked with my setup. So, it must be the One.

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:57 am

And here is a jaw opener. Couldn't believe that one. Had to check multiple times, and asked for confirmation by other users. Here it is :

Velocity curves [soft, medium, hard,...] do not make any difference in the keyboard's velocity response (!)

How to confirm: from a simple init patch - assign velocity to OSC PITCH or LADDER CUTOFF (via the EXPRESSION ASSIGN section). Check that velocity does indeed affect the pitch or the cutoff frequency. Then go to SETTINGS and try the different velocity curves : the difference between extremes like soft and hard should be pretty obvious, but in our case, it is inaudible.

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am

I tried the same with VCO pitch as a destination, it is even more obvious than with filter cutoff.

MWK

Post by MWK » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:56 pm

I've noticed that the WAVE ANGLE of the TRI WAVE & SAW WAVE doesn't register correctly when used as a MOD destination. Basically, if you choose WAVE ANGLE as destination, inputting a +100% value actually registers as -100%, and inputting a negative value will return a positive value. It's pretty hard to catch but I caught it when I was trying to modulate the wave angle with a unipolar wave and wasn't getting any effect.

So if you have the pot turned all the way to the left and you're trying to modulate the pot positively toward the right, it doesn't work. If you input +100% to do so, the synth reacts as though you're actually inputting -100% and there is no effect. This is a big mistake, hopefully they can fix it cause it's totally backwards.

This issue is only with WAVE ANGLE and not PULSE WIDTH on all 3 oscillators.

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:55 am

MWK wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:56 pm I've noticed that the WAVE ANGLE of the TRI WAVE & SAW WAVE doesn't register correctly when used as a MOD destination. Basically, if you choose WAVE ANGLE as destination, inputting a +100% value actually registers as -100%, and inputting a negative value will return a positive value. It's pretty hard to catch but I caught it when I was trying to modulate the wave angle with a unipolar wave and wasn't getting any effect.
Same issue here. I always dialed in negative values to make it work, thinking it was my understanding of 'how it should work' that was incorrect. But not that you mention that it is totally correct.

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:00 am

Before, when something didn't behave as expected, I though I was the culprit. But now, as I realized that even something as huge as Velocity Curves are not working (at all ) - I am more and more suspicious with the One, when something doesn't work as expected. And here is another big one...

MULTI TRIG not working [SOLVED - see italics below]

How to reproduce : start from an init patch, turn MONO ON, increase AMP ENV ATTACK and RELEASE so that the sound produces a slow ramp in/out. Now play a line. With MULTI TRIG engaged, you should be able to hear a slow ramp with each note regardless of the state of the previous note. But it is not the case. That button makes no difference at all. It does not re-initiate the envelope cycle, as supposed to.

My mistake. Multi Trig is clearly audible but not when sustain level is set to its maximum level - like with the init patch. Furthermore, I did confuse the effect of MULTI TRIG with what the RESET parameter is for. So, everything fine now! Sorry.
Last edited by audiosampling on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:51 am

MULTI TRIG works fine on mine in MONO mode.
Tried with filter and amp envelopes, starting from an INIT patch on which I modified attacks and EG AMT and cutoff in order to properly hear the effect.

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks vwizz. I was wrong indeed, and made a correction to the post above. In my case, the problem with the INIT PATCH to have sustain level set to the max. And that setting caused MULTI TRIG to make no difference.

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 am

Noise Reduction Gate Produces Audible Clicks

When noise reduction is engaged, one can hear audible "clicks" (more of a thumping than clicking) in the lower end of the spectrum, when a note is depressed. Especially audible on quiet patches.

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:31 pm

INSERT level out not taken into account when loading patch

I have noticed the following issue using INSERT 1.
My Insert 1 is plugged to an analog stereo chorus using a TRS Y cable.
The pedal output comes back on Insert 1-2 using another cable half inserted in Insert 2.
In order to respect the low level supported by the pedal, I reduce the INSERT 1 level out to -10dB.
Works fine :)
BUT: if I turn on the One and go to this preset, the INSERT level behaves as if on its 0dB default. Too loud and makes the pedal crackle.
—> in the Output menu though, the INSERT 1 level is still displayed at -10dB though...
And as soon as I touch the dial (say, I turn it slightly to -11dB), the level jumps back down to that value.

That means that every time I call that patch it’s like the INSERT level is not taken into account at first, and I need to edit it to bring it back to the set value.

Has anyone experienced the same issue?
Cheers!

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:16 am

Regarding the Insert level issue I described above: it occurs only after turning on the Moog One. Once I fix it manually, loading the other patches with Insert levels in seems to work fine.
Si it’s just the first occurrence that causes a problem and does not respect the saved Insert Level Out value.
Cheers