Sub 37 failing

Everything Sub.
WolframSlides

Sub 37 failing

Post by WolframSlides » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi, first post, and unfortunately I think my Sub 37 is failing :(

I've not used it for a while; it's been stored carefully, just up against a wall in my music room. I hooked it up today and first thing I noticed is that the headphone output is no longer working - I get just a very quiet leak of the sound through the phones output if I turn up the headphone volume to max; output from the main line out appears normal.

Second, when setting up a patch I just couldn't get the aftertouch to work. So I went into pressure calibration; the sensor value is stuck on 0 (I assume this should give the output from the aftertouch sensor).

I just wanted to ask on either of these whether I could be missing something (a setting somewhere maybe) or whether my 2yo Moog with less than 10 hours on it really is dying :(

Thanks,

WS

conradk

Re: Sub 37 failing

Post by conradk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:07 am

Every so often my Sub 37 Tribute will not output audio, or does so inconsistently. Usually it has received some errant midi signal (me fiddling with cables on another synth likely). I have to reset it and all is good again. Re-apply firmware update if that does not help.

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 am

Welcome to the club WolframSlides.

The Sub 37 is filled with low quality parts that will break now and then.
The things you can do is:
- send it in for service
- ask Moog to send new parts and replace them yourself

Then be prepared for the next failure (because it ain't gonna stop)

I've personally had problems with:
- the right hand controller-board (which includes the headphone output, common problem),
- pitch/mod wheels
- one octave selector switch
- one LFO waveform switch

I also did the Subsequent upgrade because the original keybed was IMHO terrible.

Good luck with your intrument! And feel comfort in the fact that it sounds amazing when it actually works as it should :)

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Same problem with the headphone jack here, unfortunately with me it happened after the warranty expired, also the freq 2 knob went glitchy and pitch bend stopped working. This is all outside my warranty period, during the warranty period I had to send it back 3 times because the Filter pot broke. This is all also just light studio use. The Sub 37 was a fail altogether.

I really want to trade it in and save up for a Matriarch, as it looks great, but given that I'll have to spend £200 before I can consider selling it and am now very weary of Moog quality control, i may just jump ship altogether.

lvdtsimulator

Post by lvdtsimulator » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:00 pm

conradk wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:07 am Every so often my Sub 37 Tribute will not output audio, or does so inconsistently. Usually it has received some errant midi signal (me fiddling with cables on another synth likely). I have to reset it and all is good again. Re-apply firmware update if that does not help.
just wanted to thank you for posting this tip. I turned on my Sub 37 today and it did not make any sound. Everything else checked out ok, but no audio, except very faint signal from the headphone jack. After re-applying firmware (1.2) it's working again!

Edit: I may spoken too soon, about the "fix" -- when I turned it on today (on day after re-applying the firmware) it's back to being somewhat quieter than it should. And as I play it, it gets quieter and quieter until it fades away. Happens every time I turn the power on. Looks like I'm going to have to send it in.
--
Sub 37, MOX8, Z-1, D-50, D-110, NS5R, DS-8, PK-5A