Logic making Model D get stuck on a note

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Emanuel Pires

Logic making Model D get stuck on a note

Post by Emanuel Pires » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:31 pm

My model D seems to be triggered by something in Logic and then it just gets stuck on a note.

While in logic the things I've noticed do this are, clicking on a new track in logic and changing patches on a synth in logic, I can have Alchemy up and then I change to a different patch, and it starts.

All i've been able to do is turn it off and turn it back on again.

I want to send midi notes from the DAW to the Minimoog but but almost anything I do in Logic triggers a hanging note.

Appreciate any help.

E.

Obermud

Re: Logic making Model D get stuck on a note

Post by Obermud » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi,

I don't have a Model D, but I do have a Sub Phatty and use Logic Pro X as my DAW. When I am composing my music using my Phatty I too get notes that get stuck at times. Especially when I am recording in "cycle" mode. What is going on is that if you stop Logic before it has a chance to send the "midi off" note, you will get a stuck note. The note never received the midi off message. To turn off the stuck note click on 'Display Mode" (that's the black box dead center on top of Logic. Display mode is on the very left of the black box) a drop menu will appear. Then click on "Custom". The display has now changed to custom view. Now when you get a note that is stuck just simply click on "Midi In". Midi in is the display that shows your midi note when playing a midi controller or in your case the Model D. By clicking on it you will send a reset message to your synth and it will turn off the note that is stuck. Midi in/Reset is between Note value and CPU. Just hover your curser over and it will let you know what the display is. Also, I found that clicking on midi in/Reset repeatedly until the stuck note turns off helps. I hope this isn't confusing for you. I'm just trying to give you as much info so that it is clear. Have fun with your Model D :D

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Yes, missing note off message.

So you buy probably the best, most expressive performance synth ever made and you drive it from Logic. Sweet Jesus :shock:

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Do you want to sell your Model D Emanuel?

rpernett

Post by rpernett » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:05 pm

I thought I would throw in my $0.02...

Check Logic's control surface configuration. Every time I enable something that supports Mackie/HUI I end up fighting with stuck notes all over the place. I had my Beatstep Pro dialed in as a control surface and it worked exactly once and then left me with stuck note problems. My solution was to back out ALL control surfaces and then just bring back the iPad after the fact (for logic remote).

Cheers,
Rob
Sub 37 (Oct, 2015 Build) + Model 15 (app)
DSI Tetra, K2500RS, Juno 106, SH-32, JP-08, CS6x, Logic/RME Babyface

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:33 pm

rpernett wrote:I thought I would throw in my $0.02...

Check Logic's control surface configuration. Every time I enable something that supports Mackie/HUI I end up fighting with stuck notes all over the place. I had my Beatstep Pro dialed in as a control surface and it worked exactly once and then left me with stuck note problems. My solution was to back out ALL control surfaces and then just bring back the iPad after the fact (for logic remote).

Cheers,
Rob
Don't use Ataria gear for anything. It's pure junk.

rpernett

Post by rpernett » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:00 am

Stevie Ray wrote:

Cheers,
Rob
It also happened in exactly the same way with my AKAI controller for what it's worth. And as far junk is concerned, my Sub 37 won the race for failing at 6 months old. The BeatStep is perfection so far.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:25 pm

I am not aware if the Model D has a panic shortcut, but in the Minitaur you can turn Amplifier Sustain fully counterclockwise while pressing the Glide button and you send an All notes off command
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:36 pm

rpernett wrote:
Stevie Ray wrote:

Cheers,
Rob
It also happened in exactly the same way with my AKAI controller for what it's worth. And as far junk is concerned, my Sub 37 won the race for failing at 6 months old. The BeatStep is perfection so far.
How did your Sub-37 fail? Six months is pretty poor for that class of instrument. Surely it was under warranty. Synths generally go on for ever, or fail a few hours out of the box. I've had a lot of disappointment with Arturia's gear and won't ever touch it again.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Stevie Ray wrote:
rpernett wrote:
Stevie Ray wrote:

Cheers,
Rob
How did your Sub-37 fail? Six months is pretty poor for that class of instrument. Surely it was under warranty. Synths generally go on for ever, or fail a few hours out of the box. I've had a lot of disappointment with Arturia's gear and won't ever touch it again.
If it fails after six months it, the parts and service should be covered under warranty. Moog has replaced parts as part of the warranty as long as three years after registering the product, if it is a design failure.

I bet Arturia doesn't do that
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:15 pm

rpernett wrote:
Stevie Ray wrote:

Cheers,
Rob
Some of us are still very interested to know how your Sub-37 failed after only 6 months. Please elaborate for the rest of us Sub Sub-37 owners.

rpernett

Post by rpernett » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:01 am

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to the forum.

It was the headphone amp problem, but with the twist that the instrument would throw out a rather pronounced whine that would change based on the resonance knob even while no sound was playing. It rendered the instrument practically unusable.

Moog made it right. They sent me a replacement board. As such, I happily plunked down for a Voyager XL...and that's why I haven't been back in a while.

-rob

P.S. The beatstep pro is still flawless. :D