upgrading from OS 2.3 to 3.1?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
brianfores

upgrading from OS 2.3 to 3.1?

Post by brianfores » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:43 am

Hi all,

I think this has been covered, but I haven't found any messages. Sorry for the redundancy...

I haven't upgraded in a while, so I'm on 2.3. Do I HAVE to buy to upgrade, or can I just upgrade via the computer, and not have the extra banks that the purchase provides for?

Also, 'on a new computer now. Do I need to download sysex? I'm on a PowerMac G5.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

-b

MC

Post by MC » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:23 am

OS v3.1 will work with the upgraded system board or the original one without the extra banks. I have an SE with original board that is running 3.1 now.

I'm not a Mac person, can someone help with the sysex download?

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:15 pm

Try http://www.snoize.com/ for Mac.

This has worked very well for me!! :)

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:41 pm

Brian -

Don't forget to download the Voyager OS3 Reference Menu PDF from SquareWave:

Files/*Voyager Reference Pages*/OS 3_1 Menu Reference.zip

It's a handy reference to help you navigate to all the new features in OS 3.1.

- Greg

brianfores

thanks!

Post by brianfores » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:57 pm

Hey, thanks everybody for the tips. I'll report back and let ya know how it goes! -b

Sambeaux

Post by Sambeaux » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:04 pm

Hmmm, so am I understanding correctly that you can install 3.x on a Voyager that doesn't have the new hardware upgrade? And that the only difference in functionality is that the preset storage is still only 128 patches? Would I be able to change patches using the ext. mix knob?

punkdisco

Post by punkdisco » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:33 am

Sambeaux wrote:Hmmm, so am I understanding correctly that you can install 3.x on a Voyager that doesn't have the new hardware upgrade? And that the only difference in functionality is that the preset storage is still only 128 patches? Would I be able to change patches using the ext. mix knob?
Yes, you are correct. And yes, the extMix knob will still scroll through the patches even without the board.

In summary: the only thing the board gives you is extra storage.
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk : Getting Married? Need a [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Weddings.htm]reception band[/url]? New [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/DVDA.mp3]DVDA Track[/url]

brianfores

Help! Upgrade gone wrong

Post by brianfores » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:21 am

Hey all,

Well, I used sysex librarian, and updated from 2.3 to the latest one, but every preset after 65 just appears as jibberish in the LCD window, and the presets sound like noise.

So, i tried to download again, and when after I load Bank A, and it's supposed to say "The Operating System has to be reloaded RE-load Bank C? Yes/No," that message never comes up - it merely reboots to Panel mode.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm just following the instructions for "Receive Update" and then I'm loading the banks, B, A and C, in that order.

Hopefully I can get back on track with your help - I'm missing half my presets!

Thanks in advance,
-b

till

Post by till » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:13 pm

You are right about the sequence of sys-ex files:
B, A and finally C.
You will have to set the Voyager to receice the b-file.
Then you have to set it again for receing the a-file.
It will then request for the c-file automaically.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

FrankB

Post by FrankB » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:23 pm

Hi brianfores,

if you'd forgotten to save your presets before updating the OS, then there is a way back :)

As Rudi told me a long time before, you have to reinstall the old OS (a version below 3.x), then dump your whole bank (and store that file).

After doing so, you can upgrade to 3.1 again, and finally you have to reload your stored 'old' bank.

Hope this helps
Frank