DSI Tetra

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
DonutDude

DSI Tetra

Post by DonutDude » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:15 pm

I own many Moog products and have contributed to this forum many times, however, I still feel a little awkward posting this question here... but I will anyway. :)

I am in search of an affordable poly synth and am considering the Dave Smith Instruments Tetra.

Does anyone here have any experience with this synth? Is it reliable, does it sound good? I'd love to hear opinions on the Tetra.

Thank you!

francesco

Re: DSI Tetra

Post by francesco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:34 am

I have a DSI Tetra in my setup since some years. Soundwise the tetra match very well with my Moog synths, a Voyager and a Taurus III.
Compared to a Moog one have to work harder to get things right, the so called "sweet spot" is remarkable smaller.
The handling of the Tetra is also a little bit difficult, due to its many parameters and the small amount of knobs on its surface.
Therefore I have added a Mopho Keyboard to my setup in order to tweak the Sounds of the Tetra with the knobs of the Mopho.
This works very well. In the end, the Tetra is a small box with incredible possibilities.
https://www.youtube.com/user/66superfly Please visit, there is always some Moog in it!

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:34 am

I looked pretty hard at the tetra during my quest for a poly synth module, which is still on-going. I spent some quality time with one in person at a Sam Ash store here in town. I agree completely with Francesco, in that there are sounds that it makes that are very nice, but sometimes you have to dig them out, buried under nonsense. We all want different sounds, so I wouldn't take my opinion, or anyone else's about "sound" being a deciding factor. I didn't really like the limited surface control. If you get one, you'll need a dedicated midi controller, with lots of knobs to control it appropriately. There are more successful implementations of the same interface style. Waldorf synths are still limited in knobs, but they are somehow much more easy to use. I would look at one of those. The new Futursonus Parva looks and sounds very nice, and is 8 voice not 4, and all analog. It's also $1000, which means it's twice as much as a tetra, but it's twice as many voices.

I encourage you to rank your priorities. A tetra might be perfect for your needs, but there might be something better.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:11 pm

I love my MoPho, but hated the P08; go figure?
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:59 am

MRNUTTY wrote:I love my MoPho, but hated the P08; go figure?
Because you have ears. I the the P 08 is one of the worst synths ever. It feels and sounds horrible.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:23 pm

I remember playing with a Prophet 08 when it first came out and was terribly disappointed. I had high expectations of the 08, based on what I had read. Everyone is different, we have to decide which synths are right for us personally.

I've made a few buyer mistakes based solely on reviews I've read from major publications. That's why now I also like to ask opinions from people who have actually spent money and time with a particular synth.

I appreciate your comments and opinions guys!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:28 pm

I've never tried a Tetra. But since it is largely based on the P08 technology (same DSI120 chips means same oscillators, same filters, same VCAs), you might be disappointed of it, too...?

I've played a P08 and it has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with the newer P6. They're worlds apart sonically.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:09 pm

thealien666 wrote:I've never tried a Tetra. But since it is largely based on the P08 technology (same DSI120 chips means same oscillators, same filters, same VCAs), you might be disappointed of it, too...?
That's a good point. Thinking back I only doodled with the presets on the 08 and have since read they are not a good indication of what the synth sounds like. The Tetra has sub oscillators and analog feedback that the 08 doesn't, but I think that's about the only difference.

I've found a really good price on a new model and that is heavily influencing my decision to buy the Tetra. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

4dubs

Post by 4dubs » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Like francesco, I too had a Tetra/Mopho keyboard combo. Yes, sub oscillators and feedback are the only difference vs. the P08, but they actually make a big difference . . . feedback especially. Small amounts can thicken the sound considerably. Decent sounding synth, but I never loved it. The Tetra is indeed a pain in the neck to program from the front panel. The Mopho keyboard's control surface makes it much easier to deal with, but even with that, there are still a lot of shift functions for knobs that do double duty. I eventually sold off that combo to get a P6, which is outstanding. As thealien666 put it, it's world's apart from the P08.
Moog: Model D, Voyager, Sub 37, ONE 8V, Minifooger Delay (x2)/DSI: Prophet 6, Pro 2, Prophet REV2 16V/Nord Stage 2 SW73/Studiologic Sledge 2.0 Black/Waldorf Iridium desktop/Arturia Matrixbrute/Behringer Mono/Poly, 2600/Mellotron Micro/Modal Cobalt 8x

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:47 pm

I owned a Tetra for about 2 weeks before I sold it to a friend. Personally, I didn't like the sound or the interface (talk about tedious :roll: ). I honestly was never too crazy about the '08 either, just from noodling in stores and watching videos. However, I did purchase a Prophet 6 in February and haven't regretted it for a second. The previous comments are indeed right (perhaps even an understatement), worlds apart indeed. :D

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:54 pm

I went ahead and ordered a Dave Smith Instruments Tetra today. Thanks for all your help and opinions - greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested, ProAudioStar still has quite a few Tetras in stock and are selling them for $475 new on eBay or $449 new at their website.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Got the Tetra a few days ago and am very pleased. Awesome sound!

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Does the Korg minilogue compete in this poly market?
Live Setup:
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.11, MOTU MicroBook II, Push 2, SoftStep 2, NI Maschine 2, Ableton Live Suite 9.6
Korg Kronos 88, Moog Sub 37, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland GAIA, Korg minilogue

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:09 pm

I have a Minilogue on back order from sweetwater. It was going to be my pad machine until DSI releases the OB-6 as a module. Then I started getting concerned with only 4 notes on polyphony. 4 is fine for chord stabs, but if you want more ethereal and evolving pads, you'll need more voices. Today my Waldorf Steichfett arrived. It nails the ethereal pad sounds and was $350. It has some pretty cool voice modulations.

I would have recommended it earlier, but I forgot it existed.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:10 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:I have a Minilogue on back order from sweetwater.
Yeah, I think the Sweetwater date is now 5/18
Live Setup:
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.11, MOTU MicroBook II, Push 2, SoftStep 2, NI Maschine 2, Ableton Live Suite 9.6
Korg Kronos 88, Moog Sub 37, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland GAIA, Korg minilogue