Moog VSTs

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
endocrine

Moog VSTs

Post by endocrine » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:41 pm

I've recently got very into VSTs. However, the only Moog VSTs I ever find are of the MiniMoog and The Modular. Are there any others? Are they free? What are some of your favourite VSTs, Moog or not.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:24 pm

There are several companies that make a Model D VSTi. The oldest one is the Model E by Steinberg that I know of. I don't think any of the other Moog synths have been done except the Model D and the Modular. If you check with Sweetwater Sound and Musician's Friend, you should be able to check them all.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:27 pm

Some of my favorite VSTi's are from Native Instruments, Spectrasonics, and Steinberg. There are tons of free VSTi's on the web, but they obviously are not going to be very good compared to retail items. There are also demo models that you can check out from these manufacturers.

GregAE

Re: Moog VSTs

Post by GregAE » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:47 pm

endocrine wrote:I've recently got very into VSTs. However, the only Moog VSTs I ever find are of the MiniMoog and The Modular. Are there any others? Are they free?
-Tyler2000-
A company called Bomb Factory makes VSTs of the Moogerfoogers. Not all MF's are represented, however. They are not freeware.

- G

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:08 pm

Just a thought -

when Googling Bomb Factory it might be a good idea to search on "Bomb Factory"+Moog or something like that, to avoid visits from the FBI. :D

Not the best name for a company in the present world.

peak

Post by peak » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:14 am

G-Media makes a software vst minimoog called "Minimonsta" and it IMO is the best vst Minimoog out. It has lots of other options (more filters, morphing, etc...) than all the others, and I also think it has the best sound.

G-Media's Arp Oddity is also worth checking out. That is, you are into the Arp sound.

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:11 pm

Yes, GMedia's Minimonsta is the best emulation of the Minimoog out there - even Rick Wakeman rates it, and he had little time for Mini-emulations prior to this one. The Arturia Moog Modular, however, is a stunning piece of software, but you need serious hardware to get the best out of it. Generally, I have been impressed by soft-synths, and have to say that in the early days of them, I had no faith at all. I didn't believe it possible to emulate analogue synthesis convincingly, or that such software would work without latency. Purists will no doubt say that you can't beat the real thing, but I would argue that, in the context of a mix, you would need the hearing of a bat to tell the difference between most emulations and the genuine article.

I'll start running for cover now! :wink:
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:20 pm

It's strange that moog vsts aren't more common or diverse. Obviously a Rogue and a Mini are two very different sounds, and they are both very desirable. Not to mention things like the Poly Moog. I guess everyone is afraid of doing a bad job.
-Tyler2000-
-Alabama Jihad

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:56 am

endocrine wrote:It's strange that moog vsts aren't more common or diverse. Obviously a Rogue and a Mini are two very different sounds, and they are both very desirable. Not to mention things like the Poly Moog. I guess everyone is afraid of doing a bad job.
-Tyler2000-
I don't know, in the scheme of all synths a Mini and a Rogue are way more similar sounding than say just about anything from another brand (not counting Studio Electronics or Creamware). I'm sure if you own or use a Rogue all the time or maybe have your own Mini swapped for a Rogue for a gig you can tell. But then again most of the audience for these plugins either wouldn't know the difference and the rest likely aren't satisfied with software simulations anyway.

As for the Polymoog, I think it's more the lack of a lust-factor. In terms of difficulty much more complex synths have been simulated with various levels of success. It's far more an issue of how many people love or need that sound and will pay $150 or so. And I guess on the other side of the coin, the lack of programmers who want to take up the challenge to re-create the sound as a low or no cost project.

But that brings up that with something like Synthedit or PDVST you can cook something like what you want up with a great deal of effort, though much less effort than programming from scratch. Commerical packages like MAX/MSP and Reaktor have potential too.

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:56 am

Polymoog VST! That's something I'd love to see!

I can see why they might not be too popular, but when they hear Vox Humana they'll be in love with it. :)

herw

Post by herw » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:41 am

endocrine wrote:I've recently got very into VSTs. However, the only Moog VSTs I ever find are of the MiniMoog and The Modular. Are there any others? Are they free? What are some of your favourite VSTs, Moog or not.
-Tyler2000-
There is a free synth for REAKTOR user.
You can download it here: herw MODULAR MINI 2
poyphon modular synth with virtual wires and virtual keyboard - 24 modules

ciao herw

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:25 pm

cool thanks guys.
-Tyler2000-
-Alabama Jihad

musicnonstop

Post by musicnonstop » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:04 am

Lengai wrote:Some of my favorite VSTi's are from Native Instruments, Spectrasonics, and Steinberg. There are tons of free VSTi's on the web, but they obviously are not going to be very good compared to retail items. There are also demo models that you can check out from these manufacturers.
the above statement is not in my mind true.

try searching for minimogue on the internet, its an excellent free vst that replicates the minimoog D, its not 100% accurate but it sits well in the mix, and above all its free... the company that do this also do an ARP 2600, again for free, it sounds better to me than the arp2600v.
gearlist ---
moog music voyager electric blue 3.2
nord lead 2x
electribe ea1 and er1
sonar 5.0
Mpc 1000

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:23 pm

Haha. Yeah. I've got both of those. Any other good ones around?
-Alabama Jihad

THM

Post by THM » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:07 am

endocrine wrote:Are there any others? Are they free?

There's also one FREEware and pretty good Minimoog VST clone - entitled "MiniMogue".
see http://www.home.no/gunnare/index.htm

pic: Image

Have fun !!

btw: I have the Arturia Minimoog V and the Modular V2 and they really rock !!! I know people who have the GMedia MiniMonsta and they're very satified by that one too

I prefer hardware (have several classic polysynths - a.o. MOOG Memorymoog L.A.M.M., Roland Jupiter-8, Roland Juno-60, Elka Synthex, Yamaha CS-50), but my favourite VSTi programs are Arturia's Minimoog, MOOG Modular V2, and CS-80 V, as well as the Spectrasonics romplers Stylus, Atmosphere, and Trilogy. And also imho G-Media's impOSCar is a great VSTi.
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak