Sub 37 cutoff knob: upper range issue?

Everything Sub.
Gustaveh

Sub 37 cutoff knob: upper range issue?

Post by Gustaveh » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:27 pm

I finally got the Sub 37 today; it's great! But I think I might have a filter problem. It seems to me that it has a dead spot after around the 10-15 khz point. For example: if I turn the knob up all way, switch preset and start turning down, the preset picks up the filter change around the 10-15 khz mark. I can wiggle it without anything happening before that point. Does that make sense?

Basically I need to know if this is some hardware fault, my imagination or something fixable?

Thanks for any answer!

greenborder

Re: Sub 37 cutoff knob: upper range issue?

Post by greenborder » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:03 am

If it's just when loading the presets it depends on your global settings regarding knob value changes (sorry forgot the name), is it in 'pickup' mode perhaps? Try changing to 'absolute' and see if it still occurs.

Otherwise it might be related to this issue: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22177

lushr

Post by lushr » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Yeah, if the filter works without changing preset, then your filter is fine.

it's simply that when you do change to a new sound you have to move the knob a bit till you get to the point where the cut off setting is set for that sound. only once you hit the preset cutoff setting will the filter then "pick up" from that spot and continue on down (or up)

This is a default setting preventing the sound from jumping wildly to your knob position (maximum) from the new presets position (3/4 way round). It saves your hearing and speakers from damage and nasty frights.

in the little phatty there were lights to show where on the dial the setting was in the new preset. The sub37 doesn't have room for such lights so you're turning the knob "blind" so to speak.

Gustaveh

Post by Gustaveh » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks for the replies! I made a video showing what's happening: http://youtu.be/IKFswWu2SmY
lushr wrote:Yeah, if the filter works without changing preset, then your filter is fine.

it's simply that when you do change to a new sound you have to move the knob a bit till you get to the point where the cut off setting is set for that sound. only once you hit the preset cutoff setting will the filter then "pick up" from that spot and continue on down (or up)
Ah, so it does this when pot mode is set to ABS also?

Magick22

Post by Magick22 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:26 am

I'm curious about this as well as I have noticed this on my Sub 37... I don't think it's just the filter knob either. Gustaveh, try this: set your master volume at zero and slowly turn it up until you hear any sound. I don't hear any change in volume until about 1 (8 o'clock) on mine... Same story with the waveform knobs... Pure triangle til about 1. It happens at the top of the range as well, the wave is constant (5% pulse I'm guessing) from 9-10. I had my synth hooked up via usb to MidiOx and noticed that none of the knobs transmit midi data between 0-1 or 9-10. I had a chance to play another Sub 37 and noticed it had the same issue with knob range, so I don't think this is an isolated issue. I'm not too technically inclined with this sort of thing, but I wonder if this is the sort of thing that could be fixed with a firmware update or if the problem lies in the potentiometers themselves or some sort of hardware calibration (I have tried running the sysex calibration which didn't seem to fix the issue).

One thing I will add though, I think that even though the knob response only seems to be the middle 80%, I still believe it is going through the full range of the parameters. For instance, even though the filter knob only affects change between 90 Hz to 14 kHz (according to the labeled values), that middle 80% of the knob range which does affect parameter change is sweeping the full 100% range of the filter from 20 Hz to 20kHz.

Anyone else with a Sub 37 should see if this is true on their instrument as well to see if this is a universal issue. I'm in correspondence with the Moog maintenance team currently and I'll post any updates as I get any. Anyone who has any insight into this issue should chime in as well. My thinking for now is not to worry too much about this minor issue and simply have fun playing this incredible instrument!