Poly Chaining the Voyager: A few questions

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
thebedroom

Poly Chaining the Voyager: A few questions

Post by thebedroom » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:53 pm

I have been thinking recently about getting a couple of RME's to add polyphony to the Voyager. If anyone has this setup or knows more than I could you please answer these few questions.

I am assuming that you chain them via midi-ins and outs and that you set the midi key order to one for the keyboard, 2 for the first RME and 3 for the 2nd rme right?

If you twist a knob on your Voyager keyboard like filter cutoff, does it automatically update the filter cutoff on the two chained units? Also, if you save a program you created on the keyboard Voyager, does it save on the two chained units as well? Lastly, if you use the CX-351 voltage expander and CP-251 on the keyboard are the other two models linked to those in-s and outs too or do you need to get the two expander boxes for each RME and set-up duplicate paths.

I guess I am wondering if it is similar to how the evolver series is chained which is dead easy and well implemented. I know I will need to connect the audio outs of all three to a mixer, but if the above are not similar to the evolver implementation it may be more work than it is worth.

As always I appreciate your time and answers.

Mark Walker

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:03 pm

Hi Mark,

If no one else repsonds here, email Vortex9174 (he's a member of the SquareWave group - don't know if he's a part of this forum). Vortex has couple of RME's in his studio (see his pix in the SquareWave Photos section) and can probably answer your questions.

- Greg

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:13 pm

I wonder if Moog would give/make you a device to tune all the RMEs if you were to buy 15 + a Voyager :shock: ? Otherwise it might get a bit tedious...

dadek

Post by dadek » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:14 pm

I'm also curious about simultaneous editing on all Voyagers, please post any info you get from vortex.

dadek

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:14 pm

P.S I love the Auto Tune on my Chroma: <thump> <flash> ... done! ;)

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:16 pm

latigid on wrote:I wonder if Moog would give/make you a device to tune all the RMEs if you were to buy 15 + a Voyager :shock: ? Otherwise it might get a bit tedious...
If you can afford a Voyager and 15 RMEs you can afford to hire someone to tune it for you!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:19 pm

Me again...

Surely if all RMEs were on the same MIDI channel the on board parameters would be changed simultaneosly? All CV would need to be duplicated though.

slowdive

Post by slowdive » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:15 pm

I'm also curious about this. I'm not sure exactly how you would go about chaining Voyagers.

I do own a polyevolver, and I can't wait to add a polyevolver rack. Dave Smith really thought this feature out, seems super easy.
Voyager Electric Blue, Dave Smith Polyevolver

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:16 pm

I have also wondered about how this is done (and how it sounds :shock:). It would be nice if Moog would post some info on how this is done, I don't recall it in the Voyager manual. Is it in the RME manual?

Sunsinger

Polychain RME

Post by Sunsinger » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:37 pm

I have a Voyager too, and have wondered if the polychain would work as elegantly as the Dave Smith stuff...

I have a PolyEvolver Rack and just got the MonoEvolver Keyboard... Talk about easy!!! Just plug it in change a couple of settings, and your controlling everything from the keyboard.
Reeeally powerful...

Hope that Moog thought this out as well as DSI...
"Work with what you've got" Eno