MF-102.....frequency tracking

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
screamingdaisy

MF-102.....frequency tracking

Post by screamingdaisy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:45 am

Is there a way to get the carrier frequency in the Ring Mod to track the frequency of the note I'm playing (guitar/bass in this case)?

I tried plugging the guitar into carrier in, all that did was turn the 102 into an semi-interesting quasi-fuzz, and plugging into fq in did nothing (not that I expected it to).

Anyway, anyone have any ideas, including using bits of the other MF modules?

newname

Post by newname » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:18 am

if you want to match the pitch of your guitar, i believe you'll need a Pitch fo Voltage converter.

i think a few of the modular builders make these as modules. google "frequency to voltage" "pitch to voltage" F/V . the old korg ms20 had one built into it, but it uses a different 'flavor' of voltage control from the 102, which is exponential.

btw- not exactly what you're after style-wise, but the mf101 filter has an envelope follower which translates the _amplitude_ of your sound into a voltage. if you've got one of these lying around, you might want to experiment with using the envelope follower to control the 102's carrier frequency. probably get some pretty wild results...

good luck!

lx

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:05 pm

Thanks. I'll check that stuff out.

I don't have a 101 yet....that's next in my plans (I'm a bassist).
A good amp will treat you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out.

asd

Post by asd » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:36 am

i'm going to have to look into these pitch to voltage converters, would be neat going into the "time" jack on the delays too.

does anybody have something like this or experience with this that could give some more adivce? a quick google search and this looks like it's over my head at the moment

asd

Post by asd » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:01 am

so based on this thread: http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1321 it doesn't look like there's really anything readily available that does this, maybe someone knows something else though

Impossible Sound

Post by Impossible Sound » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:50 am

I have a Korg MS-03, which is a pitch-to-voltage converter. It's essentially a stand-alone version of the ESP section on the MS-20 with some minor changes. It's definitely a fun tool to have, but the tracking isn't perfect.

Doepfer has a Pitch-to-CV converter module, but I'm not aware of any modern stand-alone units.

s16016wb

Post by s16016wb » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:16 pm

this reminds of something i've always wanted to try, but don't have the hardware to do... build a ring-mog vocoder!

since a ring mod's carrier imparts its frequency on the signal, i bet it would sound cool to have a bank (like 8 or 16) of fixed carrier frequency RM's keyed by a multiband analyzer

has anyone ever tried anything like this?