Phantom Delay MF-104M

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
snailbirdfish

Phantom Delay MF-104M

Post by snailbirdfish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:35 pm

With the delay off, I am getting some audio hiss and some leaky delay happening.
Is this normal?
Non of my other MFs are this noisy.

Here is a short 1 minute video of what is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxnhH6nYM4

Does anyone else experience this?

Loud crackling is not fun.
Thanks for your time...
#Mooglyee = = Xylosynth AND MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104, CP-251, Minitaur, Ehterwave Plus, Animoog, and not much in my bank account.

stiiiiiiive

Re: Phantom Delay MF-104M

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:36 am

Welcome Snail, welcome Bird, welcome Fish!

A lot of people here bought the 104 for what you show on you vid: it's an analogue Bucket Brigade Device based delay, and it's normal you can drive it crazy with extreme feedback. No worries to have :)

tele-pet

Post by tele-pet » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:49 am

I never thought to have no input and see what sound would come out. I actually sort of liked those noises. Yeah, there's something alive an unpredictable in analog.

snailbirdfish

Post by snailbirdfish » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 pm

I noticed that it doesnt do much when the spillover in not engaged.

The MF-103 Phaser is Bucket Brigade Chip and is not as noisy.

I was surprised that it is not a true bypass and that you can get artifacts from the delay without it being on.

I love the sounds of the delay, dont get me wrong.
The reason for posting is that it isnt a true bypass which was very surprising.

Thanks for posting
#Mooglyee = = Xylosynth AND MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104, CP-251, Minitaur, Ehterwave Plus, Animoog, and not much in my bank account.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:43 pm

Ok, sorry. I did not get THE point.

When in spillover mode, the echoes are not supposed to die as soon as you crush the button. That is, the feedback continues decreasing while nothing more is injected into the delay line. So it makes sense that if you stimulate the delay line, then the feedback sounds over and over.

You may want to try this: in normal mode (not sillover), bypass the delay, and max out the feedback. Now, make those knobs tweaks you made in the video, an enable the effect. Does the feedback sound immediately? (ok, I could try it myself ;) )

About the BBD, I think they are differnet kinds according to -for example- the delay time you need for such effect. Plus the circuitry around, especially the clock, can make them acting in manny ways.