Moog Dual VCO

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
OysterRock

Moog Dual VCO

Post by OysterRock » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:34 pm

Here's something you don't see everyday. Does anyone have any info on it? I wonder what the VCOs are based on and if they're 1V/octave.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Moog-Dual-VCO_W0QQi ... dZViewItem

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:56 pm

These were made by Moog Custom Engineering in the late 70s (along with the 3-band Parametric EQ, Graphic EQ, 12-stage Phaser, String Filter, and Vocoder) and reportedly are close to Mini Moog D oscillators. They have seperate CV inputs for both Oscillators, and a CV input for both at the same time. There are also two oscillator outputs, and a four-way multiple on the back.
Oscillators 1 has a pulsewidth control, and oscillator 2 can be synced. They both have switched octaves and switched waveforms (like Mini D oscillators)

I've seen an ad for the Dual VCO (from the 70s) that said they were made to order to work with the particular CV requirements of your Micro, Multi, or MiniMoog. I think this is because these three synths (the ones that the Dual VCO was made to accompany) all have non-standard volt per octave keyboard CV. So the DVCO was equipped with a special PCB board depending on which synth you would use it with.

These DVCOs were made by Moog Custom Engineering throughout the past couple decades (even after Moog Music proper went out of buisness) and might even still be in production. So this one in this auction could could very well be one that was made recently. The price is at least double of what it should be.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:00 pm

Yeah, the guy's prices are a bit ridiculous. I can understand a well restored synth costing a lot if a lot of work goes into into. But $2800 for an Odyssey? Gag. You could buy a Voyager with an expander and still have enough left for sushi.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:16 pm

yeah, $2800 seems (at least) a bit high when you can find a working Odyssey for less than 1/4th of that. I would assume that it is completely restored for this price, but they don't really mention anything specifically... Also, you can buy a second hand Odyssey and have it completely restored by CMS for much less than these prices.

If it's any consolation for anyone looking at these synths but not willing to pay these prices, these synths have all been for sale for at least 6 months. I've seen these same synths on their web-site for at least that long. I inquired about the DVCO months ago when they had it priced at $1200 (still way too much). You can get the DVCO elsewhere for $750.
[/list]

museslave

Post by museslave » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:01 pm

An Odyssey would have to be made of gold to be worth that. This person is purposely preying on people who don't know the value of these instruments.
I also noticed that PayPal can be used to buy this item, but it's "conditional." Hmmm... I wonder what sort of conditions would be required for PayPal OTHER than "you have to pay my fees," which is forbidden by eBay.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic