Sub 37 clock sync to Ableton issues

Everything Sub.
toddmtnbkr

Sub 37 clock sync to Ableton issues

Post by toddmtnbkr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:08 am

I believe I have it all set up correctly, but can't seem to get the audio from the Sub 37 to sync with the click in Ableton.
(MIDI Clock Type in Live @ "Pattern", Sync for Moog Sub 37 output on, default MIDI in channel @ 1 in Sub 37

I can see the ARP, and MOD 1 & 2 LED lights flashing, to what appears to be a perfectly synced clock (coming from Ableton Live 9).

I have tried a very simple patch and no matter what I do, the downbeat/first notes depressed will not land on the "1" and I can't tell if it is staying that same interval off for the remained the sequence, beat repeat, MOD etc.
I've seen many other posts similar to this on this forum, and have read many of them...but still am not able to the get sync to line up.

Thanks
DAW: Ableton Live 9.6 - Reason 8
Moog: Sub37 - Minitaur - MF Chorus
Interface: Motu Ultralite x 2
Pedals: Stymon BigSky & Dig, Boss DD-7 & RV-3
Other: Roland JU-06
Plugins: Tal-U-No-LX, Kontakt

toddmtnbkr

Re: Sub 37 clock sync to Ableton issues

Post by toddmtnbkr » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:20 pm

(Posted to another thread...thought I would close this one out)
I had significant sync issues with Ableton/Sub37...and found the following:

I was trying push the audio signal through a channel strip in Ableton, and that ended up being my main source of significant latency.
I was really wanting to be able to use some of the DAW effects on my Sub37...but had to bail on that approach.

Now, what I'm doing (and understand now, why I also see stomp box or 2....or 6 on a Sub37 in YouTube videos) is running the Sub37 directly into my Motu interface (after going through my BigSky) and use the CueMix mixer software for my interface to manage my levels of the Moog and not Ableton. When playing live, I route my Motu, via Cuemix, to Audio outputs 5-6 (stereo, since my verb pedal is stereo) and Ableton bus audio channel outs to 1-2, 3-4 & 7, 8.

It was worked great and the sync on the Sub37 is receiving the MIDI clock from Ableton and the arps etc work great with syncing to that source (without Ableton processing the audio).

I'm not sure this helps, but it is certainly something significant I had to trouble shoot and found a more reasonable way to configure it all.
Cheers!
DAW: Ableton Live 9.6 - Reason 8
Moog: Sub37 - Minitaur - MF Chorus
Interface: Motu Ultralite x 2
Pedals: Stymon BigSky & Dig, Boss DD-7 & RV-3
Other: Roland JU-06
Plugins: Tal-U-No-LX, Kontakt

tagirov

Re: Sub 37 clock sync to Ableton issues

Post by tagirov » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:33 am

There are some clock and midi offset related settings in the Ableton preferences which help in this case.

https://www.ableton.com/answers/externa ... g-problems

if you process external synths via ableton engine, it's better to use External Instrument plugin, set appropriate hardware latency value for it to sync note on/off timing and then, additionally, set MIDI Clock offset for corresponding midi port in Live's preferences.

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... zers-live/

My method:
1) Create midi track, place External Instrument to it
2) Select midi output for the synth and audio input channel of the interface to which synth is connected
3) MUTE this audio channel in interface's software mixer (CueMix FX in my case)
4) Create simple midi loop of 4 notes, 1 for each quarter beat
5) activate metronome, set to 4/4
6) play loop with metronome and adjust hardware latency value in External Instrument settings by ear, until quarter notes from the synth will come in time with metronome
7) create another MIDI loop which has long note for 4 or 8 bars
8 ) activate ARP on the synth
9) play this loop, activate Abeton Live Preferences and adjust MIDI clock offset for the MIDI port to which synth is connected until arpeggiator will sync to metronome

But usually I prefer not to process hardware synths in the Ableton, just play midi clips and route synths to analog mixer and outboard fx.
In this case I usually end up setting MIDI Clock Offset.

p.s. Please be aware that offset values depend on global audio buffer and latency settings in Live's preferences.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.