Syncing Sub 37 to Ableton Live 9 tempo??

Everything Sub.
cheopsnet

Syncing Sub 37 to Ableton Live 9 tempo??

Post by cheopsnet » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi,

Proud owner of a Sub 37 and loving it. As I am diving deeper, I have not succeeded in using the MIDI sync function, below are more specifics about what I am trying to achieve, I’d appreciate whatever feedback you guys may have to help me resolve:

I am using the Sub 37 in the context of composing on Ableton Live 9. I’d like to be able to sync up the rhythm/tempo of the Sub 37 with the one of my Live 9 tempo (for example, creating a pattern in the sequencer and have it play at Live 9 tempo). I am guessing this sync can be done via MIDI, but I have no idea how to do it (and the manual is rather confusing). How would you go about it?

Thanks.
Louis

Amos

Re: Syncing Sub 37 to Ableton Live 9 tempo??

Post by Amos » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Connect USB from Sub 37 to your computer, then start Live...
in Live, go to the Preferences, MIDI/Sync tab... in the midi section, Sub 37 output, make sure SYNC is enabled. This will send MIDI clock from Live to the Sub 37.

Next, turn on the Sync button in the arpeggiator section of the Sub 37 front panel. When this is enabled, the Sub 37 will follow MIDI clock. Turn on Sync for the LFOs as well. Now when Live is playing, the LFOs (and arp if it is on) will follow Live's tempo. Note that the arp will not run when Synced unless Live's transport is running.

While Sync is enabled, the LFO and Arp Rate knobs will select synced clock divisions. You can also manually set the clock division on the Preset Edit -> Arpeggiator settings menu, and the Mod 1/2 Controllers -> Mod 1 / 2 Edit menus.

Ksynth

Post by Ksynth » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:29 pm

I just cannot get the Moog Sub 37 to Sync reliably.

It feels like there is something wrong in hardware as I've never had such trouble before with many other devices.

I'm also using Live but have tried sending Tempo changes from a Kronos directly via midi out to midi in on the Moog. Checked using different working midi cables.

Pressing the Sync button once ought to set the Moog to sync with the Tempo from the Kronos.

It just does not do that.

Something wrong with my Sub 37 perhaps? Its been here about 5 days now. Otherwise seems OK.

And now it seems to be working.

Not consistent.

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:20 am

My first stab at getting my Sub37 to sync to my Roland TR8 was unsuccessful despite the Midi light flashing in sync with the TR8's tempo. Need to experiment more but transferred the midi cable over to my Nord Lead 4 and no problem with sync at all

R.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:13 am

The Sub 37 was tested extensively with a TR-8 as master clock, during development. It should "just work" based on my experience.

Keep in mind that the arpeggiator has its own clock divider setting relative to the master clock... maybe you have the arp doing dotted eighth notes or half-note triplets or something weird like that, as opposed to straight 8ths or 16ths? for the arpeggiator this is set on the PRESET EDIT menu, ARPEGGIATOR settings page.

New firmware update coming quite soon, in fact I will PM it to some of you so you can test sync with it if you like...
-Amos

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks for the tip, Amos. I'll try that this evening - I expect finger trouble on my part :D

Edit : And yes please to a PM if at all possible

R.

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:56 am

Well I now have a Roland TR-8 driving a Roland TB-3 which, in turn, is driving the Sub37's midi input set to Bank 8 - Preset 12 "What Time Is"

Sync is working with the obvious and expected provisos that the Rate knob has to be set to suit the rate from the TR-8 and, if you mess with the rate knob whilst the TR-8 is running don't lose sync but you lose position in the Sub 37 sequence relative to the TR-8. Stopping and starting the TR-8 solves that.

R.

jurgen

Post by jurgen » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:52 pm

I have a problem with using the arp / seq if I connect the Roland TR-8 via din midi out to sub 37 midi in. the arp and programmed seq plays perfectly with the TR as the master clock but I got the impression the TR-8
transmitting along its own sequence.
So the original arp / seq of the sub 37 plays never been correctly
when I turn the knobs of the snare drum the sound of the sub 37 become affected by this operation.
when I connect between the TR-8 and the sub 37 the Arturia
beat step via a MIDI thru box
the display of the sub 37 arp / seq become displayed correctly

another test that I did
is connected TR-8 midi out to Arturia Mini brutal midi in and play arp this is accepted and plays perfectly and correctly

I do not understand what the problem is, and hope you have solution
best regards

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:29 am

jurgen wrote:I have a problem with using the arp / seq if I connect the Roland TR-8 via din midi out to sub 37 midi in. the arp and programmed seq plays perfectly with the TR as the master clock but I got the impression the TR-8
when I turn the knobs of the snare drum the sound of the sub 37 become affected by this operation.

another test that I did
is connected TR-8 midi out to Arturia Mini brutal midi in and play arp this is accepted and plays perfectly and correctly

best regards
it sounds like the TR-8 is sending MIDI CC messages and maybe MIDI notes to the Sub 37.
Try changing the Sub 37 MIDI IN channel (on the MIDI menu). If the Sub 37 is receiving on a different MIDI channel than the TR-8 is sending, then the TR-8 sequence and knob turning should not affect the Sub 37.

jurgen

Post by jurgen » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Amos wrote:
jurgen wrote:I have a problem with using the arp / seq if I connect the Roland TR-8 via din midi out to sub 37 midi in. the arp and programmed seq plays perfectly with the TR as the master clock but I got the impression the TR-8

another test that I did

best regards
it sounds like the TR-8 is sending MIDI CC messages and maybe MIDI notes to the Sub 37.
Try changing the Sub 37 MIDI IN channel (on the MIDI menu). If the Sub 37 is receiving on a different MIDI channel than the TR-8 is sending, then the TR-8 sequence and knob turning should not affect the Sub 37.
Thank you Amos
this was indeed the case and the solution
now it works as it should

Karos002

Post by Karos002 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:52 am

Hello,

I have a Sync Problem too.

I try to sync the Sub37 to Reason DAW.
But nothing seems to work.
If i switch on sync everything in the Moog stops.

I switched on Midi recive at all Channels, but no Chance.

I hope you can help.

Without sync it is only half the fun ;-)

toddmtnbkr

Post by toddmtnbkr » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:53 pm

I had significant sync issues with Ableton/Sub37...and found the following:

I was trying push the audio signal through a channel strip in Ableton, and that ended up being my main source of significant latency.
I was really wanting to be able to use some of the DAW effects on my Sub37...but had to bail on that approach.

Now, what I'm doing (and understand now, why I also see stomp box or 2....or 6 on a Sub37 in YouTube videos) is running the Sub37 directly into my Motu interface (after going through my BigSky) and use the CueMix mixer software for my interface to manage my levels of the Moog and not Ableton. When playing live, I route my Motu, via Cuemix, to Audio outputs 5-6 (stereo, since my verb pedal is stereo) and Ableton bus audio channel outs to 1-2, 3-4 & 7, 8.

It was worked great and the sync on the Sub37 is receiving the MIDI clock from Ableton and the arps etc work great with syncing to that source (without Ableton processing the audio).

I'm not sure this helps, but it is certainly something significant I had to trouble shoot and found a more reasonable way to configure it all.
Cheers!
DAW: Ableton Live 9.6 - Reason 8
Moog: Sub37 - Minitaur - MF Chorus
Interface: Motu Ultralite x 2
Pedals: Stymon BigSky & Dig, Boss DD-7 & RV-3
Other: Roland JU-06
Plugins: Tal-U-No-LX, Kontakt

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.