Portishead sell Voyager, buy Little Phatty SII!

Everything Phatty.
synfinity

Portishead sell Voyager, buy Little Phatty SII!

Post by synfinity » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Adrian Utley from Portishead (the band) has sold his Voyager and replaced it with a Little Phatty SII as he prefers the sound! It was used for a live soundtrack that he and Will Gregory (of Goldfrapp) performed live with Choir, brass section, six guitarists, sax & Harp to the 19328s film "The Passion Of Joan Of Arc" at the Colston Hall, Bristol, UK on May 7th (http://www.colstonhall.org/news/News1460). Will is also impressed by the LP, though he has a large amount of vintage Moog already... Incidentally, it was an astonishing event with amazing music and very moving.

lovedroid

Re: Portishead sell Voyager, buy Little Phatty SII!

Post by lovedroid » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:16 pm

Oh, interesting!
Do you know if the music will be recorded and published somehow, or was it only for this single time?
I absolutely love Portishead and Goldfrapp is also great.
New Modern Angels
Electropop! - LPTE, MEK, uQ, SQ80, P6...
myspace - twitter - facebook

synfinity

Post by synfinity » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:06 am

The music hasn't been recorded yet, but there are a few more performances being done and it's possible that it will be. In case you're wondering both Adrian & Will are friends and clients of mine (I look after their Macs and source vintage gear for them)

nikola

Post by nikola » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:02 am

synfinity wrote: In case you're wondering both Adrian & Will are friends and clients of mine (I look after their Macs and source vintage gear for them)
wow!

Hi synfinity, please if you get the chance, give my gratitude to Adrian and all other portishead people for saving the Music and Love, for being so brave and human, for there lack of greed..

Thank you, synfinity, for helping them sound more powerful ;)

nikola
was i pushed or did i fall ?

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:00 am

You know, I use my Phatty way more than my Voyager. I love the tone so much, it has a lot of seeming character and personality that lives up to the name perfectly. It bites sharply and can lay on a surprising bottom end. Kinda biting and barking little thing. Voyager is deep and rich and dependable like bourbon. Phatty is like a crazy bumblebee on steroids drinking malt liquor.

Wish I knew what playing a Taurus everyday felt like.

Cheers to the smart move on Utley's part - but I would have held on to the Voyager.
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

Johnny_Cradle

Post by Johnny_Cradle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:23 am

Nice! I think he also used the Voyager on the live rendition of "Machine Gun" for the Bass drum. Saw a video of his studio with the Model-D and an ARP and other modular monsters. Sigh...
http://www.johnnycradle.com/ | Little Phatty SII | Fender Rhodes 88

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:05 am

There's a preset on the LP Stage Edition sound bank called "Allison Will" -- it's a tribute to Will Gregory and his famous collaborator... :)

Pro tip: adjust the Modulation Amount on the "Allison Will" preset until you get a perfect octave jump when the mod wheel is at maximum. It sounds great! The reason you might need to adjust it is that the analog portion of the mod bus is subject to the whims of component tolerance and so there may be some variation from one LP to another in the precise voltage level you get at "maximum" -- so it's OK to create presets which depend on precise modulation amounts for tuned intervals &c. on your own instrument, but those presets will then need to be fine-tuned to sound the same on another LP.

...but all of this is by way of saying: Thanks, Will, for some awesome sounds over the years, and for keeping analogue synths at the epicenter of cool!

-Amos

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Very cool. I could see why he would like the LP S2, but I dont know why he'd sell his Voyager!

I tend to use my LP a lot more than my RME too..... but I use them both in different circumstances... I could never imagine selling any of my Moog gear.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.