A glass of red wine, an evening in with the Moog LP

Everything Phatty.
CTRLSHFT

Re: A glass of red wine, an evening in with the Moog LP

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:03 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Sounds great!

I've had a bit of a breakthrough with programing the LP to sound warmer and more 'vintage analog'. I've found turning the oscs really low and cranking up a bit of overdrive adds a bit of noise and other artifacts to the sound, I'm really loving it!
+1, hitting the mixer section more softly also changes resonance characteristics, it's good to mess around with.
www.ctrlshft.com

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:39 am

Oh yeah, you're right! Cool.

Actually, I'm only just discovering the s + h and the noise mods added in the OS update (or maybe they were always there?). In any case, wow! A little bit of reasonably high speed sample and hold can make a melodic sound a little dirty and messed up, I love it! Both those new mod destinations are much more useful than the filter envelope and osc 2 mod sources. Cool!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:59 am

Thats funny, because I find myself using osc2 or the filter env the most and was recently thinking about digging into the S&H more.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:15 am

Been running an AM radio into the trigger input with interesting results!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:06 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Been running an AM radio into the trigger input with interesting results!
I absolutely MUST try this! :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Been running an AM radio into the trigger input with interesting results!
I absolutely MUST try this! :D
free analog white-ish noise source through the audio in too. :D
www.ctrlshft.com

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:45 pm

id you try the AM radio thing? works a treat!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:05 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:id you try the AM radio thing? works a treat!
I did...very interesting! I've also used it with my 'Foogers, as well! Very cool with the ring mod and phaser! :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:07 am

It's been too long! Tonight shall be another night in. I've been using the noise source with a low amount to colour sounds that I hold down for a longish time, makes it all sound old and messed up, very very cool. Will do more of that!

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:22 pm

Wow it’s been 14 years since I last posted!

Since then I’ve quit drinking. And the Moog lineup has totally changed! Programming the Little Phatty as a relaxation exercise seems kind of weird. My one’s been all around the world a few times in planes and tour buses, had the knobs replaced four times, the rubber coating on the pitch wheel has worn off, and the buttons often need a bit of a double press. It’s been used on some popular records, some smaller records, and it’s even been used in the studio with Brian Eno (!!). He was really into it’s beautiful sounds!

Where has your Little Phatty taken you over the years? Do you still use it?

Tonight I’m chaining it together with my Slim Phatty for polyphony and I’m making some Casiotone type pads using triangle waves. Sounds so nice using a bit of noise.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:56 pm

Now that's a zombie thread :D

My LP is still around! It's been my stage synth for years along with a Nord Electro for piano/EP/organ sounds.
It has a couple of others friends at home but it is the one I feel the most comfortable with on stage.

I haven't played gigs for 3 years now with the bands I used the LP with. I moved away and have just joined a new band; I have to get back to some basics piano exercises and meanwhile, I'm bringing only one board on stage -Nord Electro, but the LP will most likely be the one synth I'll take :)

Buttons, knobs and pots are fine. The sides were a bit sticky a long time ago so no bad surprise here. I wish it'll last years and years!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:10 pm

I have just re-read the thread and will definitely find some AM radio to send into the gate input :)

The trick I've used the most with the LP is to use it to MIDI-control a polyphonic synth and send the later's audio into to LP. I even have a couple of programs just for that (and using with an old miltary radio microphone for megaphone dirty vocals).
The last time I did it was with a Septavox, very simple, handy digital synth: no hassle with sound design... just a kind of paraphonic mooguish sound. The only thing is that Moog filter sounds fat so I often wanted to use a HP filter on the resulting audio, for more versatility and to not take all the mix. I now have a couple of pedals that allo that. I should try this again.
Other than that, when not doing this in a mix, pushing a bit the overload makes this pad so thick...

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:15 pm

I hate to say it, but I sold my LP. However, it was for a Moog cause - I got the Sound Studio 2 bundle with DFAM and Subharmonicon. I had earlier traded my Micro for a Sirin (which I still have), which meant I no longer had a Moog keyboard. Fortunately, a Grandmother Dark joined my stable and I really like it! I'm glad I had the earlier experience with Moog synths like the LP, Micro, and also Rogue & Taurus 3 (both also long gone) so I can understand what the GM has to offer - definitely a worthy successor to the LP in my collection (I didn't use presets much)

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:22 am

hieronymous wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:15 pm I hate to say it, but I sold my LP. However, it was for a Moog cause - I got the Sound Studio 2 bundle with DFAM and Subharmonicon. I had earlier traded my Micro for a Sirin (which I still have), which meant I no longer had a Moog keyboard. Fortunately, a Grandmother Dark joined my stable and I really like it! I'm glad I had the earlier experience with Moog synths like the LP, Micro, and also Rogue & Taurus 3 (both also long gone) so I can understand what the GM has to offer - definitely a worthy successor to the LP in my collection (I didn't use presets much)
I feel you on this. I’d never sell my LP just cause of sentimental value. But I’m looking at getting something more fun to play with from Moog. The knobs are kind of loose on my LP, and with the buttons being a bit hard to press the whole thing is clunky to program these days. I still use it all the time though!

But I’ve been looking at a Minimoog Model D 2022 reissue. Not sure if I can stomach the intense price though. A Matriarch might be a bit more of a sensible option! I’m just doing studio stuff these days so I don’t need the patch storage anymore.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:43 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:22 pm Wow it’s been 14 years since I last posted!

Since then I’ve quit drinking. And the Moog lineup has totally changed! Programming the Little Phatty as a relaxation exercise seems kind of weird. My one’s been all around the world a few times in planes and tour buses, had the knobs replaced four times, the rubber coating on the pitch wheel has worn off, and the buttons often need a bit of a double press. It’s been used on some popular records, some smaller records, and it’s even been used in the studio with Brian Eno (!!). He was really into it’s beautiful sounds!

Where has your Little Phatty taken you over the years? Do you still use it?

Tonight I’m chaining it together with my Slim Phatty for polyphony and I’m making some Casiotone type pads using triangle waves. Sounds so nice using a bit of noise.
The world has sure changed a lot since 2010. Yay necrothread!

Slim got a ton of use on albums and remixes aplenty. Traded "up" for a Sub37 when they came out, but a part of me wishes I didn't. I still remember the day I opened up my tribute LP and got a dose of those beautiful violet LEDs and a growl that got me pretty hooked on analog for life. I really enjoyed the size factor on the Slim, and for all its quirks, it was absolutely a workhorse, and could be coaxed with not a lot of effort into something quite magical. I do think the Sub did it justice though as an upgrade, but, like most treasures, each have their own identity, and sometimes less is more. Matriarch puts in a lot of work too despite it's different approach and tonality, still a dream. Still hoping for a MF-101 reissue/re-imagining someday, that and some of the others, in a case that can be removed easily to run in a modular format, would be astonishing.
www.ctrlshft.com