A glass of red wine, an evening in with the Moog LP

Everything Phatty.
tyrannosaurus mark

A glass of red wine, an evening in with the Moog LP

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:19 pm

I thought I'd start a thread that one might use and post in while sitting down to an evening with the LP, exploring it and enjoying it.

Perhaps post a new little sound or concept you've come across, nothing's too small or too big. In doing this perhaps we can get a few regular users of varying skills sitting down every now and then and sharing some of what they're up to on the LP.

This evening I'll sit down with a nice glass of red and kick it off. I'm thinking of using my omnichord through the filter, and triggering the gate with an SK-1.

Chime in with your evening in :)

tyrannosaurus mark

Re: A glass of red wine, an evening in with the Moog LP

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 am

Tonight I'm having a play with using external audio through the filter, something I haven't experimented with much. I'm using an Omnichord at the moment and it sounds lovely with a triangle wave modulating the filter, set a bit of resonance and it gets more pronounced. I really like the overdrive you get by slamming the front of the filter with the audio input, sounds much nicer to my ears than the overdrive circuit in the LP. Mmm, swirly.

I'm going to use my mixer and run multiple things through it at once. Maybe fiddle with the CV gate input. Any tips for this?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:24 am

If you are sending a voltage to the gate, it may help to send a slow LFO through the pitch...or a S&H or something. The gate by itself isn't too interesting. :wink: You may find the best thing to put through the gate is a square wave set real slow. A CP-251 is good for playing around like this.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:58 am

A rythmic sequence to the gate is nice. Either using a sequencer that can send gate or using the audio of a click (most short snappy sounds will work) from a drum machine.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:24 pm

I like sending my guitar w effects through the audio in to either the LP or RME, and then experimenting with chords +delays and layers of effects, mixed with some synth sounds effects.. Not bothering with the gate, I'd just do little shots with the keys. Can get some really crazy effects with it. Especially with some filter+resonance blips and boops, either descending kind of hits, or crazy LFO'd noises mixed with these huge layered chords, then playing with the ADSR.. so many things you can do. I've just recently discovered the Audio In more and more... even just running my guitar through the RME's filter does wonders for it's sound.

Also... putting my LP through my RME and tuning each OSC to a different note of a 5 note chord, gives me these awesome polyphonic emulation patches. I can say, set the LP to the root and the 5th of the chord, than the 3 notes in the RME to play the rest of the notes in either major/minor or whatever I want, then create 2 patches next to eachother and change between the two.. playing chords in real time.

Seriously some awesome things you can do with the audio in's... I could go on and on about it.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

yowzer

Post by yowzer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:03 pm

I am still just getting the sense of the LP (not the swiftest kid on the block, it's been awhile). I am finding nice harmonic content in messing with Osc 2 Freq, having cutoff real low and using a filter pedal to Waoooow it up. Also, I am enjoying the noise Lfo for added grit.

BadAlibi

Post by BadAlibi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:08 pm

just the other night i was fooling around with modulating the filter with oscillator 2 as a pulse wave, and sweeping it, making liquid, dribbly, analog yummy goodness. Then, somehow, by tweaking the filter, filter envelope sustain, egr amount and cranking the kb amount, i got really triangle-saw wave-esque tone that tracked to the keybd pretty well and seemed to be two oscillators coming from the filter, b/c when i moved the pitch wheel there is a voice that moves, but one that stays on that note.(no oscillators on or overload). I think its called filter fm, not sure. Still pretty astonishing! Might make a video a-la Voltor if u guys want.
Gear: Mah Phatty <3 and Mah Prophet 08 Keyboard <3 and 2 Steinways w/ midi retrofit :D

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:14 pm

The title of this thread almost sounds like you are about to have sex.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:28 pm

Looking forward to another evening in with the Moog LP tonight! Need another bottle of red though... I'll try the filter fm-ish thing you had going on, see if I can get it

Also, besides dedicated modular style gear, what else can I stick in the CV ins to get some interesting stuff hapening?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:14 am

I would hope any video that would be made, if BadAlibi decides to make one, would be better than my own. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Squid Tempest

Post by Squid Tempest » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:44 am

Nice thread!

I'm still quite new to the wonderful world of Phatty, so most of what I'm doing falls in the "experimenting" category. Last night (once I sorted out what was causing the tuning problems mentioned in another thread - it was a CV in to the filter causing it) I was playing with hooking up one sequence from my Doepfer MAQ via MIDI playing a note run, and another sequence via CV to the filter of the LP. Great fun! Unfortunately I haven't worked out how to get the LP in tune when I run the CV in to the filter. Hopefully I'll sort that out using the CP-251 over the weekend.

My wife has started referring to the music room as "your laboratory", and I've just purchased a lab coat to add to the image :lol:

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:19 am

Oh man, a lab coat sounds perfect! I need one of those for these evenings in with the LP 8)

Tonight I've been experimenting with the filter again, running guitar (my lovely fender strat) through the audio in and running audio out into my Carr Mercury guitar amp. Getting some really cool sounds using the LFO and a bit of resonance on the filter. Another LFO or two modulating the filter would push this over the edge into super awesome territory... Is that possible, what happens when you try and modulate a single filter with multiple LFOs? How does it work?

Been looking out for a cheap tube organ on the local auction site, can't wait to try using that as a sound source through the filter.

BadAlibi

Post by BadAlibi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:27 am

Since I only have a crappy video camera which would yield a nearly useless video, I'm going to give you the exact settings of my patch.(I would post this on KnobTweak, but I have no Yahoo ID and i'm waay to lazy to get one :mrgreen: )

LFO Rate=doesn't matter cuz its oscillator 2 modulating the filter
Modulation amt=3027
Mod Source=osc 2
Mod Destination= filter
Oscillator 1=off, wave, octave don't matter
No sync, no glide
oscillator 2 octave=16
Oscillator 2 freq=2025
Oscillator 2 level=O
Oscillator 2 wave=4095
Filter cutoff=999
Filter Resonance=4095
KB Amount=3751
EGR amount=3206
Overload=0
Filter Attack=0
FIlter Decay=0
Filter Sustain (most important part! and the only knob u should tweak w/o affecting master pitch, which is filter)=1675 (in tune on C5 of phatty range, reduce when going an octave up, and increase when going an octave down to keep in tune)
Volume attack, decay, and release set to zero
Volume Sustain=4095
Nothing tweaked in the mod menu, just started from calibration patch, so 4 pole filter.
Its a really cool effect sweeping the mod wheel, just remember to have it up!

Have Fun,

Luigi
Gear: Mah Phatty <3 and Mah Prophet 08 Keyboard <3 and 2 Steinways w/ midi retrofit :D

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 am

here's a bassline nibblet from a remix I'm working on:
http://soundcloud.com/ctrlshft/basstest

I was going for a MS-20 sound, lots of hair. maxed osc1 16' saw, quiet 8' saw-pulse mix, 1-pole filter setting with lots of EGR on the filter, slowish attack, OD at 15%, filter modulation, and some custom glide automation to emulate legato glide.

1st part is a single patch, 2nd part is 3 overdubs with slight patch mods to create basically a giant bass monster with a keen desire to cleanse your lower intestinal tract.
www.ctrlshft.com

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Sounds great!

I've had a bit of a breakthrough with programing the LP to sound warmer and more 'vintage analog'. I've found turning the oscs really low and cranking up a bit of overdrive adds a bit of noise and other artifacts to the sound, I'm really loving it!