Glide observation

Everything Phatty.
sine

Glide observation

Post by sine » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:15 pm

I want to sustain a high note and then hear it slowly, smoothly glide down to a low note. So I hold down the highest note on the keyboard, turn Glide Rate to maximum, then while still holding down the high note I press the lowest note on the keyboard. I expect the glide to be "seamless", but it isn't.

There is a "blip" when the lowest note is pressed. The blip sounds kind of like an attack envelope, but it's not. The Gate parameter is set to Legato On, so it's not that an EG is firing. And again, I'm not releasing the high key when I subsequently press the low key. The rest of the glide down is smooth, it's just at the instant of pressing the target key that the blip is heard. If someone could test this I'd appreciate it, in case I'm missing something.

My hunch is that it has something to do with the LP's Note lookup tables, but I don't know.
Thanks

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:28 pm

Does this occur on all presets for you?

I tried it on more than a handful of presets and could not reproduce the behavior you described.

I have an LP stage I running OS2.1

sine

Post by sine » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Example 1
Here's the glide. The top key is held down while the bottom key is pressed. Gate is set to Legato On. Focus on the instant at which the glide begins.

Example 2
While holding down the top key I repeatedly hit the bottom key. It's hard to pinpoint what the "blips" are, but the ear hears a lack of smoothness.

Example 3
Here's Example #2 with the audio slowed down. You can hear what the blip is. The starting note goes sharp for just an instant before it glides down. The last instance at :29 is particularly obvious.

The behavior I describe is on all patches I've tried. I'm using a Stage I with software version 2.2 588. I never thought to try this with previous versions. I don't doubt that your LP is ok in this regard, and I appreciate you taking the time to test my assertion. It's just my guess, but I think oscillator tolerances and scaling vary. The LP's lookup tables do a great job of mitigating these differences and keeping everything sounding in tune. I can't explain why I think the LUT is a factor here in the glide anomaly, and I'm probably wrong.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Wish I could help :/ From listening to the audio samples, it definately does'nt sound normal. I never get those blips with my glides.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Under the Advanced Preset menu, check the settings for "EGR Release" and "Gate" = especially the gate setting. If worse comes to worse, you could do a system re-boot, but I'll bet you have some user-created patches you don't want to lose.

denoiser

Post by denoiser » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:07 pm

I've just tried on my Tribute with the Calibration preset and it doesn't sound like yours, and sounds the way it should.

I recommend you to try on this preset 'cause it can made comparisons easier.

Maybe, a recalibration could help.

sine

Post by sine » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks for the replies and good suggestions, which I did try. Calibration preset was a good idea. No difference. Maybe I'll try a system restore. Yeah I do have some presets I want to keep, but I think I've got them all in sysex.