201+delay?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
thule

201+delay?

Post by thule » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:56 am

Hi,

I have just bought the 201 and cp 251 and they are great with my moogerfogers. I also have a Line 6 DL4 that i use a lot, both for delay and loops. But the possibilities to control it with the 201 are limited and now I am looking for a delay/loop-pedal that are better suited to be controlled with the 201. Any suggestions?

kindly
thule

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Well, you'll need a delay that has either midi in or cv inputs... the only one i can think of is the MF 104, i'm guesing maybe Line 6 got some midi controllable delays.... i know i'm not helping much but... well :?
..::PATOBRUJO::..

Veeger

Re: 201+delay?

Post by Veeger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:55 am

thule wrote:Hi,

I have just bought the 201 and cp 251 and they are great with my moogerfogers. I also have a Line 6 DL4 that i use a lot, both for delay and loops. But the possibilities to control it with the 201 are limited and now I am looking for a delay/loop-pedal that are better suited to be controlled with the 201. Any suggestions?

kindly
thule
That DL4 doesn't have MIDI capacity as I recall - does it? Yeah, I'd go with a Roland RC-50 looping pedal and the MF-104Z delay - the RC50 has midi in and out and is way more cool than the DL4 and the MF-104Z is great with the 201. But you might want to try the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy - it has an expression pedal jack that can take CV control to control delay time, feedback, etc (you select which you control on the Memory Boy and then use the 201 as you will).

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:19 pm

The 104 has plenty of CV but none of them will sync to clock unfortunately. To do this you'll need to establish a Midi clock to control voltage standard (none of which exists) and then have a pedal calibrated to act accordingly.

Only the 'most digital' of the pedals, that being the ones with all sorts of fancy features will sync to Midi. Analog and Digital pedals clearly in two different worlds.

I have a Diamond Memory Lane II and a T-Rex Replica. The Diamond you already likely know about, it has tap tempo and mine is modd'ed so that the Tap is via an external pedal but still, it requires me to re-tap upon tempo change with some bit of error. The T-Rex is midi but only for remote commands (I didn't know this when I bought it)... so in effect, I leverage the MP-201 to send the proper midi CC command for each step on the footswitch that is, essentially just tap tempo.

Somebody needs to make a little midi box that can read clock and toggle a relays at the given 1/4 note interval either 2x or 3x (depending on what the pedal needs). In my mind, the box has a midi-in, a dip switch bank to set the # of clicks, (or selector knob) and a footswitch that when stomped, simply reads clock then sends appropriate, perfectly timed clicks.

Of course, the 104, and other pedals which don't have tap tempo are out of luck and that's a bummer. I presume that it has a PIC controller in there and there is no opportunity to upgrade 'code' such that a tap tempo could be setup to scan a CV pulse but that would be ideal.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:25 am

EMwhite wrote:Somebody needs to make a little midi box that can read clock and toggle a relays at the given 1/4 note interval either 2x or 3x (depending on what the pedal needs). In my mind, the box has a midi-in, a dip switch bank to set the # of clicks, (or selector knob) and a footswitch that when stomped, simply reads clock then sends appropriate, perfectly timed clicks.
This can be done with many budget drum machines. Either use a recorded pattern of rim shots or if it has a metronome out adjust the time signature accordingly.