NEW MIDI-CV/VCA/EG Prototype Moogerfooger Design!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
CTRLSHFT

NEW MIDI-CV/VCA/EG Prototype Moogerfooger Design!

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:26 am

Thought I'd give it another swing with several design alterations making it rather competitive vs. Doepfer Dark Energy. Unfortunately no room for a mixer, but eh, you can get a decent mixer cheap just about anywhere. It has in return a lot of very useful modulation features. BTW sizing appears a little tight in spots and slightly off in some things (usb/midi images), but it all fits right. The MINI EG would basically fit like the lag processor does, just in the lower right corner instead of in the middle like on a cp-251.

Everything is pretty self-explanatory (cept maybe MIDI PB, that's pitch bend.) I tried to go for a design with the dotted line thing (pardon me doing that by hand) that allowed for maximum signal flow efficiency so that more novice users would be able to find their way around. It'd be cool if they could set it up to have those dotted lined connections be pre-wired, and just have the connection break when you plug something in to either of them. Saves clutter, cables, and time.

This guy plus a CP-251, 107 (or two), and a MF-101 equals a fun, expressive, robust moogermodular synthesizer!

Think you'd dig something like this? Ideas? Thoughts? :)
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:34 am

Cool idea, but what does the "MIDI Note Out" do?

Could the MIDI/USB ports be moved to the back for more front panel real estate?

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:44 am

latigid on wrote:Cool idea, but what does the "MIDI Note Out" do?

Could the MIDI/USB ports be moved to the back for more front panel real estate?
MIDI Note Out is actually just the PITCH CV OUT, sorry about that, fixed!

Moving ports to the back might be possible, but I'm not sure if they'd be able to fit that much in one box. If so, that'd be cool, could leave much needed breathing room.
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

analoghaze

MOOG..... WE NEED THIS!

Post by analoghaze » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:47 am

nice. 8)

I really thing the engineers at Moog should take a very close look at this.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:53 am

I am glad to see some envelope designs from users on this site. This is a much needed piece of our modular puzzle. I am using a Pigtronix Attack Sustain right now to fill the gap, but it wouldn't hold a candle to this or Erik's design. I would buy either of these 2 designs or both if they were available.

I like the addition of a VCA as well as a second envelope (mini EG). I think people could benefit from having a solid Midi to CV converter as well. The pre-wiring makes a lot of sense as well with this design, yet it is nice to be able to be able to override it too.

Nicely done!
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

sergiovalente9

Re: NEW MIDI-CV/VCA/EG Prototype Moogerfooger Design!

Post by sergiovalente9 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:08 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:Thought I'd give it another swing with several design alterations making it rather competitive vs. Doepfer Dark Energy. Unfortunately no room for a mixer, but eh, you can get a decent mixer cheap just about anywhere. It has in return a lot of very useful modulation features. BTW sizing appears a little tight in spots and slightly off in some things (usb/midi images), but it all fits right. The MINI EG would basically fit like the lag processor does, just in the lower right corner instead of in the middle like on a cp-251.

Everything is pretty self-explanatory (cept maybe MIDI PB, that's pitch bend.) I tried to go for a design with the dotted line thing (pardon me doing that by hand) that allowed for maximum signal flow efficiency so that more novice users would be able to find their way around. It'd be cool if they could set it up to have those dotted lined connections be pre-wired, and just have the connection break when you plug something in to either of them. Saves clutter, cables, and time.

This guy plus a CP-251, 107 (or two), and a MF-101 equals a fun, expressive, robust moogermodular synthesizer!

I´ll buy it!!! Oh yeah!
Little Phatty SE
MF-101
MF-102
Virus Ti snow
Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1 MK1

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:32 pm

I think this is really cool.

I think all the connections should stay on the face the way they are now, because otherwise it would limit the usability of it for those that like to either rack mounth them or use them table top style.

Yeah, I'm digging this thing.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:27 pm

This is cool, but I'm just not waiting around to see if Moog builds it or not.
I decided to put together a few Eurorack modules to cover this functionality.
It has:

MIDI-CV
2 envelopes
1 pseudo VCA (the filter has VC gain)
plus a great-sounding filter - the Tip Top z2040

The total was a was about $550, plus I get a Eurorack modular started and I can pick up other modules when I'm ready.
The MIDI and Envelope modules alone are $300, so it could be done cheaper.

I hope Moog does build something like this though. It would be a welcome addition.

Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:11 pm

Nicely done! I agree with the post that Moog should very seriously look at this design or variations on it. I would buy it in a hearbeat.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:12 pm

soundxplorer wrote:This is cool, but I'm just not waiting around to see if Moog builds it or not.
I decided to put together a few Eurorack modules to cover this functionality.
It has:

MIDI-CV
2 envelopes
1 pseudo VCA (the filter has VC gain)
plus a great-sounding filter - the Tip Top z2040

The total was a was about $550, plus I get a Eurorack modular started and I can pick up other modules when I'm ready.
The MIDI and Envelope modules alone are $300, so it could be done cheaper.

I hope Moog does build something like this though. It would be a welcome addition.

Yeah I was sick of waiting too, got a Future Retro XS, which covers all the bases I needed, added an analog multimode filter to my studio, and gave me more oscs than i needed. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:37 pm

I thought that Envelope looked familiar. That is one of the modules in my Kraftzwerg. I bought that with the intent of integrating it in with my fooger rack, but haven't done much of that yet. The midi wasn't working right until I fixed it last weekend. It is a lot better than the attack sustain I have been using.

I would still buy one of these modules preorder if Moog were to offer a variation with envelope, VCA, Midi to CV/Gate or Gate delay.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:49 pm

Bryan B wrote:I thought that Envelope looked familiar. That is one of the modules in my Kraftzwerg. I bought that with the intent of integrating it in with my fooger rack, but haven't done much of that yet. The midi wasn't working right until I fixed it last weekend. It is a lot better than the attack sustain I have been using.

I would still buy one of these modules preorder if Moog were to offer a variation with envelope, VCA, Midi to CV/Gate or Gate delay.
::is jealous of your kraftzwerg::

have you seen MFB's new semi-modular analog drum machine+seq, Schlagwerg? I have dreams about those two, so awesome, so friggin tiny!!!
www.ctrlshft.com

Voltor07

Re: NEW MIDI-CV/VCA/EG Prototype Moogerfooger Design!

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:46 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:

I'll take two, please! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:54 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:Yeah I was sick of waiting too, got a Future Retro XS
When looking for a mono synth earlier this year, I started with the FR XS and the MFB Kraftzwerg. In the end I decided that the Moog LP sounded the best for the kind of music I make. It's perfect for me. The XS is great, but the filter is a little edgy - spot on for some styles, but it just didn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I also picked up a Steiner Parker Synthacon (Elby Designs) multi-mode filter for my Eurorack. Once it is built, I'll post pics. (I'm building the case myself)

I *heart* filters.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:21 pm

soundxplorer wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote:Yeah I was sick of waiting too, got a Future Retro XS
When looking for a mono synth earlier this year, I started with the FR XS and the MFB Kraftzwerg. In the end I decided that the Moog LP sounded the best for the kind of music I make. It's perfect for me. The XS is great, but the filter is a little edgy - spot on for some styles, but it just didn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I also picked up a Steiner Parker Synthacon (Elby Designs) multi-mode filter for my Eurorack. Once it is built, I'll post pics. (I'm building the case myself)

I *heart* filters.
The Synthacon filter is hot!

Be sure to pick up a Polyvoks VCF too! :)
www.ctrlshft.com