Had my AE for one week, and have some questions

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
thetasigma

Had my AE for one week, and have some questions

Post by thetasigma » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:19 pm

Hi, long time listener, first time caller as it were!

I just bought my Anniversary Edition off of Ebay and have had it about a week, but I have some questions for you guys.

There were what I considered glitches with it, but after upgrading the OS to v2.1 they seemed to have been cleared up except one.

Oscillator 3's wave shape control seems to be a little off. Before the OS upgrade the waveform was WAY off from what the knob was pointing at, for instance the oscillator shape knob would be set right around a square wave, but what was coming out was more a sawtooth/square, and I could not even get a triangle wave. After the upgrade the waveforms are pretty much exact to the knob setting on all three oscillators, but I still cannot seem to get a Triangle wave from oscillator 3...it's close but still has the sawtooth overtones.

So my question is (sorry for the overlong explanation), is this just something to expect from true analog gear (i've only ever owned virtual analog before) or could this be a problem?

Mind you this issue isn't really bothering me now, since this is a minor thing. The rest of the Voyager works great and sounds better then I could have ever imagined.

Thanks,

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:03 am

Thetasigma -

All three oscillators should be able to output a 'classic' triangle wave without exceptions.

Have you tried looking at the waveforms to see exactly what's going on? If you don't have an oscilloscope, any software that captures audio and allows the waveform to be displayed would work on your computer.

This may give you more insight into the potential problem. Let us know what you find out.

gregae

thetasigma

RE:

Post by thetasigma » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:37 am

Thanks, I will try that first to see what the actual waveform is. To my ear it OSC 3 can sound close to a tri wave, but has those reedy overtones of a sawtooth, but I'll look into it further.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:56 pm

I'd suggest you use the Mixer Out jack (prefilter) and check each waveform singly. They should all be identical for the same knob settings (+/- some small variations).

gregae