Finally, A New Keytar

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
cageswood

Post by cageswood » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:13 am

CZ Rider wrote:
cageswood wrote: Interesting collection,i've still got my kx5,what's the 2 wooden appearance ones 4th and 5th from the left?
The 4th is a one of a kind custom Moog 1150 ribbon controller I made myself. (Not bad for someone that does not know how to use S-triggers?)
The 5th one is a Lag LeKey with a serial number of 5. Very nicely made to resemble a Fender with a maple neck, sunburst, and Fender knob. Probably not many of these made.
Thanks for the info.Very nicely done there!That ribbon controller looks fantastic,i love the woodwork design,it looks tremendous,if you put a 44 note controller in there and i had the money i'd buy it.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:35 pm

omvibes wrote:r.e. Liberation midification, don't quote me on this, but I believe the Novation bass station rack by Novation featured a midi to cv converter, that could also work in reverse, i.e. CV to midi. The liberation control box has a CV out I believe, as such, you could patch it into the rack, and use it to control the rack sounds (and others on subsequent modules etc?). If that's the case, then the Liberation can be used as a midi controller? OM
Afraid not.

First off, MIDI/CV converters don't work in reverse as a CV/MIDI converter. They're entirely different circuits.

While the Liberation does have a CV OUT, this output also combines keyboard CV with LFO waveshape from mod wheel, CV from the aftertouch, and CV from the pitch wheel. That defeats using a CV->MIDI converter to MIDIfy the Liberation.

The only practical way to MIDIfy the Liberation is an onboard embedded controller with analog inputs for CVs and key decode for the keyboard (you wouldn't really want a monophonic MIDI controller would you? Thought not). The interface cable can be modified to carry the MIDI signal from the controller, which would be buffered at the interface box (remember, the Liberation interface cable is 40ft long, close to the 50ft limit of the MIDI spec).

A big project and one I did not have the time or resources for, so I sold mine. Bloody shame, 'cause the aftertouch would've made for a nice MIDI controller.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:54 pm

If Moog did a Liberation, and made it look like a real, organic instrument, with nice wood and stuff, instead of that horrible pearl white of the last few rolands, and put the little phatty engine in it (with maybe a tunable sub-oscillator), they might have a hit on their hands. I think most keytars look like crap because they're made with gaudy colors and they're plastic. You don't see guitarists or bassists with fake looking plastic bodies and bright fake colurs... usually. Tasteful wood grain and nice finishes would make a big difference.

Somebody who picks up a keytar like THAT would ideally feel the same kind of awe that one gets when you pick up a great vintage Les Paul, or sitting at a nice grand piano, or sitting behind a Hammond. All the Roland stuff... I just don't think I could pick up a plastic controller like that, walk out behind my rig and feel cool onstage. Especially standing next to my bass player or guitarist who have beautiful hand made instruments made of wood.

HB3

Post by HB3 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:09 am

That's an interesting idea! However, it seems to me that, as now utilized, the keytar is not about style, it's about cheese and camp -- I read about one guy who installed paper mache flames to shoot out of the end of his.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:53 am

peterkadar wrote:I just don't think I could pick up a plastic controller like that, walk out behind my rig and feel cool onstage.
Oh man I had the funniest imagrey in my mind when I read that sentance. THat was just too hillarious. :lol:
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.