Advice on how to achieve the May 8th moog muse sound

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ticker

Advice on how to achieve the May 8th moog muse sound

Post by ticker » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:15 am

Yikes. I've spent probably a good 20 hours on my new mini over the weekend. It is madness. GregAE, thanks for the book recommendation. It's been a huge help. I am learning lots! I have a much better understanding of what all the knobs are doing. I know lots more will strike me in due time as I continue fiddling around, reading, and so forth.

I have tried and tried to coax up the stuff heard on the May 8th 'moog musing' without much luck! Can anyone offer advice that might point me in the right direction? The sound can be heard at http://www.twelfthroot.com/moogmuse/. Click on May 8. Very nice spacey sounds there. I can't figure it out though. I've gotten pretty good with conjuring up in your face kinds of stuff, but so far I am lost with these eerie landscape type sounds. Please advise! I don't have any add-ons or effects just yet. I have just the mini.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:38 am

Ticker -

Glad to hear that the book is helping you to understand the Voyager.

I listened to the May 8th Moog Musing post. It sound like a couple of oscilliators are tuned to a minor musical interval and the third osciilator is used as a modulator, creating that metalic sound as the third oscillator frequency is swept. The filter is somewhat closed. Envelopes are soft attack and decay.

You might want to contact Todd Barton, the creator of Moog Musings. He may be able to give you more precise instructions on recreating that sound:

[email protected]

Cheers!

Greg