The good and the bad

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Stuartpa

Post by Stuartpa » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Gamaliel wrote:Stuartpa,many thanks for the info,I had figured that the high e might need a lil more Vo power,and it sure does have enough to spare.It also has me exploring different techniques.I've never been much into tapping or using the whammy bar that much,but I find myself doing it alot more now.Specially tapping out different chord structures.Looks like I'll have to get a few floogers as well,l'm thinking a freq box to start off with,followed by a murf :) The guitar likes effects,especially delays and chorus type stuff.Funny it liked fuzz effects better than distortion,but maybe I just needed to fine tune it more.
Hey your welcome, the one thing I wouldn't do is get the Freq.., box, go with the Mooger Fooger first. I think you will find that the Freq. box detracts completely from the guitar. My Sales Engineer at Sweetwater recommended this to me when I went to get one from him.
I am getting the Delay even though I have a ton of them, but he really recommended the Moog Analog Delay for the Guitar and MF.
By the way is the MURF the same as the Mfooger?

I noticed that thing with Fuzz and Distortion, a bit of a surprise there.

I have so many effects it will take me my entire life what's left of it, to try em all out. So for now I think I will stick with the Moog gear and the Gsys from TC.
It is an amazing axe, I wish I had had this in the 70's
Stuart

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:30 pm

I think I will get the murf next,followed by the delay.I was wondering how the 12 step phaser would sound too.That's one effect I haven't used since the 70's :lol:
You can never have too many musical instruments.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:40 am

The phaser would be INSANE on that thing! :shock: You have GOT to get at least the phaser! I'm telling you, Gamaliel, you CANNOT go wrong with the MF-103. :wink:

Stuartpa, a Moogerfooger is what the line of boxes are called. The MuRF, or MUltiple Resonant Frequency array is a Moogerfooger. The freqbox MF-107 is a moogerfooger, as is the 102 Ring Modulator and 103 phaser. Confused yet? :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:20 am

I wish I was able to be holding a Moog guitar thinking about buying the Murf lol.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks Voltar,being I don't have a phaser that might be the one to get first,plus I could always run it thru the voyager :)
EricK GaS is always best if relieved.Anyways this is in the future,maybe with tax refund,assuming I get one this year :lol:
You can never have too many musical instruments.

Stuartpa

Post by Stuartpa » Sun May 03, 2009 5:47 pm

Gamaliel wrote:Stuartpa,how are the mediums working out for you,did you notice any change in the Vo power?
HI Gamaliel, I had some issues with my Moog once I got over the initial buzz of it, and it ended up being replaced. I guess I was unlucky but like you even on my replacement the mode toggle switch falls off and I still have a very minor intonation problem I can live with.

There is so much this guitar can do, it is a pity that it is so expensive.

I did use the Mediums for a while but on the replacement guitar it was so well set up at Sweetwater, that I kept the Heavies and now that I have a good guitar, you can hardly tell the difference between the heavies and the mediums.
It is a pity the Thomasticks don't work, as they really sound great and last a long time.
I seem to be going through Moog strings rather rapidly. I guess about one set per week, and if I am actively recording then it's one day to settle and 2 days to play maybe 3 and then start all over again.

I am seriously considering putting the Roland controller on it, but I am concerned that there will be some interference from it or from the Moog that will affect either the guitar or the Hex P/U, so a stick on run is the way to go at first.
That would have to be an ultimate guitar, but I am a bit hung on analog, it is a pity everything has to end up in Digital anyway.

I am going to experiement with a lot of Moog's stuff before I try and mod the guitar though.
I mean Moog revolutionized music, I have a feeling that this guitar or at least a version of it, also has a similar potential.
Moog Guitar V2 is going to be really interesting, unless it is a cut down Moog for the standard reasonably priced market. (Is anything reasonably priced even in the USA). Think about paying for the Moog guitar in British Pounds. Now that's expensive.
Stuart