tuning issues

Everything Phatty.
fishman77

tuning issues

Post by fishman77 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:36 pm

Hello. I've had my Little Phatty Stage II for about a month or so. I've been having problems with it being in tune. I've read the manual and a number of posts here about tuning and I'm doing it all like I'm supposed to. It's on Auto and when I turn it on I let it warm up for several minutes. Then when I play it, it's way out of tune... like 3 half steps off. I can fine tune it manually and when I do it's on like -1025 or so to be in tune.
One thing I'm wondering about, I've been using it with local control turned off since I'm using it with Ableton Live and having Ableton echo it in the track. Does the Local control have any effect on the auto tuning mode? I feel like I shouldn't have to spend the time and effort to calibrate the thing already since it's only a month old. Thanks for your help.
-Adam
www.thesolutionmusic.com

fishman77

Post by fishman77 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:50 pm

Well to sort of answer my own question...
I put on Auto Tune mode with Local control on and next time I turned it on I left it for a few minutes and it was perfectly in tune.

I'm still wondering though if anyone has any insight to this issue. I can live with the local control left on if that's what it is.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:34 am

fishman77 wrote:Well to sort of answer my own question...
I put on Auto Tune mode with Local control on and next time I turned it on I left it for a few minutes and it was perfectly in tune.

I'm still wondering though if anyone has any insight to this issue. I can live with the local control left on if that's what it is.
Dunno about Local Control. Auto Tune mode should be the only factor deciding how in tune the synth is. Not too sure if I'm running my LP with Local Control on or not. I probably am. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:19 am

Have you done/run a full Note Calibration?

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:50 am

I almost have the impression that you have to play a note and then it starts tuning - I could be wrong but I thought you needed to trigger a note. Not sure if local control needs to be on or a note just needs to be triggered. Mind you, I could be completely wrong :-)
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:29 pm

No note needs to be played in auto tune mode. :wink: Everything is automatic in auto tune mode.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Gord Newman

Post by Gord Newman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:57 pm

What is the temperature in the room where you have your LP? If it's quite cool it may affect tuning.

Gord
Playing classic rock using: LP Stage 1, Roland VK 8, Korg SV 1-73, DSI Mopho, Roland XV 5080 and Neo Ventilator.

fishman77

Post by fishman77 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:25 pm

It's probably around 70-72 degrees like most of my house right now. Actually the last two times I've used the LP (the last couple days) it tunes right up. The only thing I changed was the local control setting, but that doesn't make much sense. I'll continue to monitor it though.
If you do play notes when you first turn it on and it's tuning itself, does that mess it up, or should it eventually tune up anyway? Thanks for the help everyone.
-Adam
www.thesolutionmusic.com

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:06 am

It should just tune up eventually, regardless of wheel-moving or key-pressing. :wink: If the LP is near a window or HVAC vent, that could have something to do with tuning. I used to have mine near a window. It never really stayed well-tuned there. Nor did it like the heat vent. :lol:

fishman77

Post by fishman77 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:58 pm

Just an update on this...
It's been working great and tuning itself just fine and everything.

The only thing I've figured out that was probably my problem before is that doing anything such as change patches or sending the LP MIDI data while it is doing it's initial tuning messes it up. Ableton was sending a patch change to the LP when I opened my project; if it's when the tuning is still happening, the tuning will stop and just be way off. Does that make sense?

Adam
www.thesolutionmusic.com

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. That'll do it every time. Just make sure no setting changes happen while it's tuning, and you'll be alright. :wink: