Power Supply Question

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
dblack

Power Supply Question

Post by dblack » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:22 am

I have an older Moog Theremin that is on loan to me, and have lost the power supply playing at a gig! Do the power supplies for the current models (and I suppose the separate power supply that is sold by Moog) have a three-pin plug that uses something that looks similar to a MIDI cable?

Thanks for you help!

soldadura

Post by soldadura » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:52 am

That's the same power supply they still use for the Etherwave - they sell them here on the website - $25

smogdog

Speaking of Power Supplies ...

Post by smogdog » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:15 pm

Is there any information on connecting a battery pack to an Etherwave theremin? I'd like to have the capacity to play in locations void of wall sockets. Thx :shock:

dvanhorn

Power supply

Post by dvanhorn » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:23 am

If there's suficient interest, I can design something simple.
Think in terms of four inexpensive transistors, and a 555 oscillator.

The power supply does require AC, but it's not a lot of current, so this wouldn't be bad to build. I haven't tried mine on an inverter yet, but even if the inverter dosen't cause problems, the efficiency will be abysmal.

smogdog

Post by smogdog » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:59 pm

Thanks for the response. I noticed another manufacturer is offering a battery powered unit, but after viewing the demonstration videos, it didn't appear to have the response of a serious instrument, and they failed to demonstrate a recognizable melody. However, the thought of having the ability to join acoustic players appeals to me. I noticed that Pig Nose makes a portable rechargable battery powered amp. Should you decide to put a unit together for sale, please keep me informed. Thx