Sherman Filterbank + Mini

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ticker

Sherman Filterbank + Mini

Post by ticker » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:38 am

Still waiting on me mini to arrive. Should be here shortly. I bought a Filterbank 2 several months back mainly for guitar destruction. Has anyone actually used one of these guys with a Mini? To get the full use of the combo would it be best to pick up the CV expander?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:59 am

The short answer is maybe. The VX and CP expanders ARE valuable assets that will allow you to do things via voltage control that the MMV can't do by itself, but don't address audio. If the Sherman Filter Bank does not have any VC inputs, then the expanders won't do anything for you WRT the Filter Bank.

All you need to make the Sherman filter bank work for you is a TRS adapter that brings the tip and ring out as two seperate plugs. (Check your local Radio Shack, or a music store). Plug the adapter into the MMVs Mixer Out/Filter in jack, and use the Sherman filter bank as an insert effect i.e. the filter bank is now in the signal path after the MMV mixer and before the MMV Filter. This arrangement will give you incredible new sonic possibilities!

I use an Electrix Filter Factory for this same arrangement. The Filter Factory has VC inputs and can be modulated by the MMV envelopes, LFO, or any other voltage control signal, adding to its flexibility. Check out my rig at:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/mm ... emimod.pdf

BTW, you must be a member of this Yahoo group in order to access the file. As you are an MMV owner, it would be a good thing to join anyway.

Hope this helps!

Greg

ticker

Post by ticker » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:55 pm

GregAE, thanks for the reply. I have decided to slow down a tad and get used to the mini before I tie up any more money. I know very little about analog synthesis in general. It is so easy to get overly excited about all of the things you can do with this stuff. I believe I am getting ahead of myself here :) For now I'll just insert it directly in to the signal path. I'm sure a Mini alone will keep me busy for a while!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:55 pm

Analog synthesis isn't hard, but it does take a bit of getting used to. To get a better understanding, pick up Jim Aiken's new book "Power Tools for Synthesizer Programming". It will give you all the knowledge you need to make the most of the MMV.

The MMV is a great synth by itself, but with the Sherman Filter Bank in the signal path, you will go to interesting and different sonic places. And don't stop there - you can always plug in an effects pedal (or two or three) into the path for more sonic mayhem!

Enjoy!

Greg

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:06 pm

Ticker,

Just realized that I had recommended the Jim Aiken book to you in a previous post. Sorry - didn't mean to 'club you over the head' with it. (No, I'm not related to Jim Aiken, nor do I get a cut for selling books!) ;-)

Cheers!

Greg

ticker

Post by ticker » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:24 am

Hey actually I checked a couple of local stores this past weekend. Nobody had it so I ordered it Sunday night off Amazon. Looking forward to that one!

gerry

sherman and guitar

Post by gerry » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:41 pm

Ticker, how's the sherman as a guitar processor? I've got the Moogerfooger low pass and ring mod and CP251, plus the usual stomp boxes/wahs, can the Sherman significantly expand my 'synth' tones or do I have most of it already covered (I'm not where I could demo one at a retailer) thanks!

ticker

Post by ticker » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:36 am

I am not exactly sure how to answer this because I have not tried the other gears you have. The Filterbank is absolute madness. I use it mainly for soundscaping and distortion. It does create some nice synth tones. Check out www.sherman.be and follow the sounds link on the left for a few samples. I've been spending a lot of time with it this weekend so maybe I'll get some samples of my own to you.