WHat 2 Synths would be the most powerful for you?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

WHat 2 Synths would be the most powerful for you?

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:01 pm

Before I ever played a Voyager my friend and I had a debate about what would be the best synth ever, we dubbed Frankensynth.

He was looking at the Roland V-Synth and I was Voyager all the way and we talked about having a synth battle.

It was one of those things where we played a feature war where eventually I flipped up the panel of my voyager and destroyed him lol. It was "you shoudl have ben there" to really get in on it.

But this led me to think that it would be really nice to get the Rackmounted V-Synth and control that with the Voyager. This was frankensynth for me.

Now I just want to settle for the Fantom XR rack module.

WHats your Frankensynth?

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:20 pm

A Waldorf Microwave and a dot com polyphonic modular along side my LP would do me fine. Of course, a simple three-voice modular is WAY out of my price range. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:25 pm

My Frankensynth would be an eight voice Little Phatty with the same internal modulations as the Prophet '08 (three envelopes, four LFO's, etcetera), all real analog of course. More CV's (both in and out) and white LED's like a TI Polar.
I would call it the "Big Phatty". :mrgreen:
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:28 pm

Maskin wrote:My Frankensynth would be an eight voice Little Phatty with the same internal modulations as the Prophet '08 (three envelopes, four LFO's, etcetera), all real analog of course. More CV's (both in and out) and white LED's like a TI Polar.
AWESOME! :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:31 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Maskin wrote:My Frankensynth would be an eight voice Little Phatty with the same internal modulations as the Prophet '08 (three envelopes, four LFO's, etcetera), all real analog of course. More CV's (both in and out) and white LED's like a TI Polar.
AWESOME! :shock:
I'm actually thinking about swapping the yellow LED's to white ones, and the red ones to blue ones. :lol:
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:32 pm

That would look really cool! Are you willing to PAY for those mods? :wink:

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:37 pm

Yes, but not right now. I'm moving next week and I have to buy some furniture and stuff. :wink:

PS. I unpacked one of my Phatties and played with it the entire evening!
I'm trying to make a whole new library of sounds: new home, new studio, new sounds.. :D

*Edit
Here's an image I've just edited to give an impression of the desired colours: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/312 ... 3b8f_o.jpg
It's blurred to mask the lousy editing, hehe.. ;)

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:46 pm

Maskin wrote:I'm trying to make a whole new library of sounds: new home, new studio, new sounds.. :D
I've made a new patch called "Sub Norris", a sound representation of his awesomness! :lol:

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:50 am

I would need 3 synths for this to work for me - a Moog Little Phatty for lead work, an Alesis Andromeda for the pads and a Moog Taurus-3 for holding down the bottom end.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:43 am

Maskin wrote:
Maskin wrote:I'm trying to make a whole new library of sounds: new home, new studio, new sounds.. :D
I've made a new patch called "Sub Norris", a sound representation of his awesomness! :lol:
I didn't think the Overload went up high enough for that. :shock:

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:09 am

Voltor07 wrote:
Maskin wrote:
Just be really careful to not mess up when playing that patch, otherwise the last thing you're likely to see is his foot coming at your head, out of the speaker! He's a proud man, and doesn't take kindly to those who make him look bad. :shock: Also, be sure to keep the audience at least 20 feet from the PA, as the patch is likely to start throwing roundhouse kicks at them, especially when you start playing sub-bass notes. :lol:

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:21 am

mayidunk wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
Maskin wrote:
Just be really careful to not mess up when playing that patch, otherwise the last thing you're likely to see is his foot coming at your head, out of the speaker! He's a proud man, and doesn't take kindly to those who make him look bad. :shock: Also, be sure to keep the audience at least 20 feet from the PA, as the patch is likely to start throwing roundhouse kicks at them, especially when you start playing sub-bass notes. :lol:
Haha! It's in the sub bass region and I haven't tried to play it through the installation, only on my headphones. :lol:
I didn't even use the overload by the way, now I still have some headroom to go over the top in case Norris will be roundhouse kicking my ass.. ;)

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:29 am

Frankensynth?

Two PPG Wave 2.3s with analogue filters and the Waveterm "updated" to an onboard display and modern storage, retaining the 12-bit sound though, and perhaps joystick mixer; quadrophonic outputs with an azimuth co-ordinator allowing on the fly surround.

But I have a V-Synth XT, Voyager with 351... and for sequencing I should really learn how to use my Supernova, since it can do 8-part MIDI polyphonic arps and so forth; it's just a bit tricky to program.

The hoarder/collector in me still wants a Synclavier or Fairlight...
Some things hurt more than cars & girls
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1
Control: Zaquencer, Reason, Panorama P4

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:44 am

From what’s in the studio if I had to whittle it down to just two, I think the Voyager and Korg Z1. The Z1’s multi osc choices and arpegiator offer loads of sonic fun. The Motif though could be another choice since you can put in the expander cards for FM, analog, modeling, you can sample with it 9 even drop a sample into a sequence ). From other synths on the market, the V synth would be a possible choice.

It is fun to midi a bunch of things together for that killer pad that eats up all available space in the mix :). A sprinkle DX here with a dash of D50 with some Prophet 08 and Chroma Poalris as the main sound, with a sample of a running stream....then fire up a MemoryMoog Plus in mono mode midi's to a Voyager and Little Phatty and watch the walls crumble :). It is a fantasy right ? :)

rico1980

Post by rico1980 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:26 pm

At the moment I'd like either a dot.com modular to go with my current Voyager or a Buchla 200e to go with my ARP2600.

Although the Voyager and ARP can create a pretty mesmerizing swirl of exotic overtones on their own.

Rick