Using Two MF-101 for Stereo?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:38 am

EricK wrote:See when they make a LP RME ill be all over that. Ill put that in the top of My rack cabinet and ill be ready for takeoff.
YES! This is most likely the reason Amos hasn't spent too much time on the forums. He's building a prototype Rack Mount Edition LP. Amos, make sure to switch the amber panel button lights with blue ones on one of those, and sign the back with the same 2 paint pens you used before.

That way, I can have a Little Phatty Rack Mount Amos Gaynes Signature Edition, or LPRMAGSE. Pronounced, "Lepermagisee" :lol: I really want a lepermagisee. Will it be ready by Christmas, Amos? :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:17 am

EricK wrote:How do you like that dotcom/mobius sequencer?

Eric
The dotcom is very cool. It works perfectly with the Voyager and freqboxes. Wonderful addition to my studio.
That is actually a 777, same sequencer as the mobius though. It is amazingg. I am quite happy to own one.

I'm not much of a Waldorf fan though.
I love the Waldorf sound. I am fairly covered between the XT10 and Q Plus.

I dig that setup Analoghaze.
thanks.
I love my Waldorf gear quite a bit, but my Voyager will always be #1
It really depends on my mood. Granted, a Moog Voyager is unique. expecially being able to put a freqbox in the effects loop and then running it into two delays. Using the touch screen to control delay time and feedback is crazy. The Voyager is a beast!
Sometimes, I want the poly analog. The Andromeda A6 is a monster. Incredable synthesizer.
The Q Plus will always be one of my favorite synths. Plug that into one of the Kurzweil processors and then into the MuRFs and you have a dream pad machine!

The again, I can always make some crazy sequences in my Nord G2 and send the MIDI to all my synths and make some insane sounds!

Right now though, I have just my Voyager set up in some crazy wiring sceme, using the dotcom into the CP-251.
Moog!
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

soundxplorer

Re: Using Two MF-101 for Stereo?

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:26 pm

bamse wrote:Is the only way to create a stereo MF-101 with the MP-201?
Back to the original question.

You're asking about how to control two 101s at the same time?
I'm pretty sure you could simply use a Y-splitter cable from whatever CV source you are using (EP-2, etc.)
Or you could use a Multiple, as found on the CP-251.

Voltor07

Re: Using Two MF-101 for Stereo?

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:20 pm

soundxplorer wrote:
bamse wrote:Is the only way to create a stereo MF-101 with the MP-201?
Back to the original question.

You're asking about how to control two 101s at the same time?
I'm pretty sure you could simply use a Y-splitter cable from whatever CV source you are using (EP-2, etc.)
Or you could use a Multiple, as found on the CP-251.
The Y-splitter would have to be TRS to TRS and TRS, if you understand my meaning. I tried Sam Ash, they have no such animal. They have a TRS to TS and TS. That will not work, as the CV will get grounded out if you try using that connector. Radio Shack MIGHT have it, but yes. The best solution to this issue seems to be the CP-251's four way multiple. I do not believe a stereo effect is possible with a single 101, even with the mighty multipedal.:mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:49 pm

Analogue Haze,
Isn't the A6 midi? Use the voyager to slave the A6 and then run it back into the voyagers filters for a hybrid polysynth.

hehe

Im sure you have already.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:11 am

analoghaze wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:I'm not much of a Waldorf fan though.
I love the Waldorf sound. I am fairly covered between the XT10 and Q Plus.
I never said I didn't like the sound...I love the sound, as well! Just not the wheel lags and sketchy control. If I could have the Waldorf sound without the sketchy control, it would be awesome! Hence, me wanting the Microwave for my studio. :D

kingfriday

Post by kingfriday » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:47 pm

Voltor, I have a microwave XT and an LP and they are just lovely together. Assigning the the LP's mod wheel to any parameter on the XT seems to feel OK to me. It's MIDI, so I suppose there could be some perceived lag, but it's plenty quick for me.

Really, the XT is a mad science machine. :twisted: It lets you use all sorts of operations to modify the internal control signals. It has an 8 stage, loopable envelope and so many awesome ways to shape the modulation signals. I rarely need to make super accurate control movements because I can create so much animation just by programming it.

The sound is very unique as well. I have a Virus TI, and while the wavetables are more flexible, complex and generally "better" sounding, they don't have that glitched out, fizzy, crunchy, awful harsh awesomeness that only the XT can provide. I almost sold it to buy the LP and I am SOOO glad that I didn't.

Wow, totally off topic with all the Waldorf chat.. OK, so on the subject of stereo MF-101s- I would like to experience this, for sure. I did try something similar using my LP and single MF-101. Basically, I use the audio in on the LP, use its filter and then modulate its cutoff with the Env Out on the 101 to get the other filter. I set up the filter on the LP to sound as close to the 101's as I could. I know that technically they are both Moog ladder filters, but they sound very different. The LP is a little grimier, in my opinion, with the 101 having a wetter, juicier sound. Regardless, with no overload or drive you just have to tweak the resonance to get them sounding close. Subtle offsets of the parameters between the filter units give it a really cool sound and stereo image.

idea: use a 107's Env Follower to track drum pattern (or something rhythmic), multiply the env out with a CP-251 and use that to control the filters. S&H that CV for stepped stereo moog filtering. :mrgreen: God I love this stuff!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Kingfriday, thanks for all that. Great info! :mrgreen:

EDIT: The lag I was referring to can be found on the Waldorf keyboard models, not the rack mount stuff. Which is why I'd rather go with a Waldorf Microwave for my studio. On a keyboard, you'd expect the controls to respond in real time, not half a second later. MIDI lag I can deal with. I'd expect some lag on MIDI. But not on the actual hardware. That's just cheap. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Voltor07 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:44 am

EricK wrote:Analogue Haze,
Isn't the A6 midi? Use the voyager to slave the A6 and then run it back into the voyagers filters for a hybrid polysynth.

hehe

Im sure you have already.

Eric
The A6 is MIDI and CV. (same with the Voyager)
I have done that, it is a sweet combo. 8)
I used my A6 this evening and it really is an amazing piece of equipment.

Wow, totally off topic with all the Waldorf chat..
Yea.. this thread went "sideways" for a bit. In the end..... we are all here for the love of synthesis... no matter the brand.... this is our tiny corner.
We all share the love of Moog Music, but I'll talk synthesizers with anyone!

8)

]Cheers everyone!!!!
Happy ThanksgivingQ!@!!

It is late on a Wednesday and I a "little" buzzed up!! :P

enjoy your synths and have a good feast.

Peace on Earth and Good Will towards Men.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:50 pm

analoghaze wrote:
kingfriday wrote:Wow, totally off topic with all the Waldorf chat..
Yea.. this thread went "sideways" for a bit. In the end..... we are all here for the love of synthesis... no matter the brand.... this is our tiny corner.
There's not a single thread on this forum that hasn't gone sideways. Usually, it's all related to subtractive synthesis, but on occasion, the thread gets completely derailed, and nothing can revive it. :lol: The last bit of my signature comes to mind. :roll:

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:06 am

Voltor07 wrote:
analoghaze wrote:
kingfriday wrote:Wow, totally off topic with all the Waldorf chat..
There's not a single thread on this forum that hasn't gone sideways. Usually, it's all related to subtractive synthesis, but on occasion, the thread gets completely derailed, and nothing can revive it. :lol: The last bit of my signature comes to mind. :roll:
You say that like it's a good thing. Thread drift gets old in my opinion, especially if the original poster's question gets completely ignored.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:16 pm

2nd that
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:09 pm

hieronymous wrote:You say that like it's a good thing. Thread drift gets old in my opinion, especially if the original poster's question gets completely ignored.
This post would be so much more worthwile if the person who posted it would have had some positive input/suggestions on the original question. :idea:

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:22 pm

I wonder if thread drift is anything like Oscillator drift. Perhaps a calibration of posting frequency is in order. lol

(Sorry)

But I was thinking about this the other night and I started to post. I wonder what the difference would be if you had 2 101s going to 2 different amps, or if you just used the Voyagers filters to a PA system.

WHat exactly is the difference between the 101 and the Voyagers dualing filters?

Something that I think woudl be interesting is lets think about the Moog 55. I have been advocating for a cp251 style VCA (with 4 channel audio mixer)/2 Envelope Generators /Dual Trigger Delay/Envelope FOllower (MOdules 911, 911a 912). Now if we had a trigger delay, then if we had 2 MF101's then with a single sweep of a multiplied pedal, it would create an effect very similar to the SPACING control on the Voyager.

I don't know how easy it would be, or if they would have a stereo effect but I think that this could be a solution to the original posters problem.

A dual trigger delay module like that found on the Moog 55 or better yet, just make the cp251 style unit that would essentially provide us with the advanced modular synthesis capabillity.

EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:27 pm

EricK wrote:
A dual trigger delay module like that found on the Moog 55 or better yet, just make the cp251 style unit that would essentially provide us with the advanced modular synthesis capabillity.

EricK
Or, use a third-party dual trigger delay module! Great idea, EricK!