Controllers

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kevin Bowden

Controllers

Post by Kevin Bowden » Sat May 22, 2004 9:01 pm

I'm sure that I read somewhere recently (or perhaps it was only one of my crazy dreams) that Moog were particularly interested in 'real-time' interactive control methods for synths.

Whilst I'm sure that everyone here passes on all of their ideas to them directly I thought that it might be interesting to see what we can come up with along these lines within the group.

The MMV currently gives us (directly) the Touch Surface (X, Y & "A"), key velocity, after touch and the 'wheels' - with the option of using 3rd party devices via control inputs.

Given current technology (and let's face it, that includes everything from "thought control" to "dance mats") could we possibly come up with something innovative that would allow intuitive real-time control over numerous synth parameters whilst still allowing the instrument to be played in a performance ?

Lets have your ideas, no matter how weird, and see what we can come up with.

New takes on old technology are equally valid (e.g. ribbons, light beams, capacitance, pedals).

HowIMadeMyMillions

Post by HowIMadeMyMillions » Sat May 22, 2004 9:27 pm

I presented the notion of new wave drum controllers in an earlier post....

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sun May 23, 2004 2:52 pm

I've always wanted to create a devise that would respond to your feelings. I know it's pretty sci-fi but who know...

Does anyone know who Alvin Lucier is?

He recorded 'Music for Solo Performer' using brainwaves to percussive orchestra system. the system was focused on alpha waves only... and then transmitted to hundreds of small piston servos on various instruments (drums, pianos, harps, xylophones etc). It sounds incredible. On the cover he's sitting in a chair with a bunch of wires connected to his head.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sun May 23, 2004 2:57 pm

...also Lucier's 'I Am Sitting In A Room' is one of the best avant garde recordings ever!

Talk about filtering!

4-pole vs. acoustic

Who wins???

HowIMadeMyMillions

Post by HowIMadeMyMillions » Mon May 24, 2004 3:31 pm

I've recently seen a new game developed where two people face off on a board and try to push a "puck" to their opponents end. All of this is done using only the beta waves of the brain....so in turn one opponent is trying to "outthink" the other. A computer transfers each player's beta waves into magnetic signals which moves the puck. It's not feelings but close!
Personally I always loved the Jean Michael Jarre Russian gig where he used beams of light instead of keys.....brings the optical theremin to synths plus looks sweet!