can MP-201 sync MF-104z delay time to MIDI?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
georgeludwig

can MP-201 sync MF-104z delay time to MIDI?

Post by georgeludwig » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:35 pm

I'm planning on getting an MP-201 to do various things, and one of the things I was considering would be to use it to sync the delay time of the MF-104z to MIDI.

Is this possible? I've looked through the MP-201 manual, but all it says is: "MF-104: Plug into the TIME jack. Set the TIME knob CCW."

I'm quite sure it will sweep the delay time in an LFO pattern that repeats properly with MIDI. But what I want is 1/4 note repeats based on the MIDI BPM.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:57 pm

Possibly, but not particularly easily. Amos mentioned in another thread that different delay pedals give different delay times for different CV amounts. With your own delay, I suspect you could come up with a map between voltage and delay time. From there, you could figure out what MIDI signal needed to be sent to get a specific voltage.

I hope that some day it will be as simple as syncing to a MIDI clock and setting the delay note value that you want (quarter, eighth, dotted sixteenth, whatever). The missing link is the fudge factor needed for the individual pedal's response to CV.

That is how I understand it,
Bryan

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:15 pm

Bryan is exactly right - at the moment, the best you can do is to experiment with your own individual analog delay; set the delay knob on the pedal to minimum and then adjust the CV amount coming from the multipedal by ear until it's the closest to 1/4 notes at your project tempo.
Then you can (a) save that CV level as a part of a MultiPedal preset and be able to call up the exact delay time by loading the preset, or
(b) use your sequencer to send the MIDI CC value corresponding to that CV voltage to the MultiPedal.

As an example of option (b), let's say that you have multipedal channel 1 CV output hooked up to your delay pedal's time CV input, and let's say this channel is assigned to MIDI CC#1.
If through experimentation you find that a CC value of 74 gives you the correct quarter-note delays at your song tempo, then at the beginning of your track you'd have your sequencer send a MIDI CC#1 message, value 74, to the multipedal. This would set the MultiPedal voltage output to the correct level as soon as you hit Play on the sequencer.

Obviously this isn't as automatic as real MIDI tempo sync for the delay, but it's a step closer. I'll keep all this in mind and see what we might eb able to do in the future for real MIDI delay sync.

On the other hand, you can definitely use the MultiPedal to sync a MuRF or Bass MuRF exactly to your MIDI tempo. I've tried it and it's wicked cool.

Cheers,

Amos

georgeludwig

Post by georgeludwig » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:53 pm

Well, I just ordered the MP-201. I don't have an MF104z yet, but will get around to it eventually regardless of sync headaches.

In the meantime I'll be using the MP-201 with a Roland GR300+custom bus converter that lets me use a 13-pin instrument and also gives me CV input for LFO depth as well as Resonance. This is, of course, in addition to filter cutoff that's on the GR300 itself. This weekend I will be in CV-guitar-synth heaven! I've thought about the MuRF quite a bit, but I'm hoping that the MP-201 with the various input in to the GR300 will give me similar power.

If the Vo ever shows up at Sweetwater, I will have the ultimate guitar synth geek setup after I put a GK-3 on it. Of course, if there was a factory option for a Roland 13-pin system, I would be all over it...