Newbie question - Serial Numbers and badge plates

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
RichardK

Newbie question - Serial Numbers and badge plates

Post by RichardK » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:44 pm

I did search, and can't find an answer (sorry if I didn't search well enough) - how do Moog Voyager serial numbers work?

I just bought a Voyager from Sound Control Birmingham, and whilst sorting out the boxes (and smirking at the blacked-out "mini" on the word "MiniMoog" on the boxes) I noticed that it had in biro on the box "Fire/Mahogany #321". I like sequences like that, so naturally I rushed up to look at the number on the synth to see if it matched; it does. It has "SS 00321" IIRC.

Does that mean it's #321 in the select series overall, 321 out of the "Fire" models, or Fire + Mahogany (the only combination in the shop)?

Also, I'm sure the one I played with in the shop before they saw fit to twist my arm into buying (I originally asked about a different synth!) had a different logo on the front panel - I'd got into telling my girlfriend about the Moog branding history and why they'd say "Voyager by Bob Moog" on them, and the one on display didn't have that! Mine does. Naturally I'm curious and I also cannot remember what the display model DID have one it instead.

Anyway, mostly I just wanted to know how likely it was to get the number 321, and how many Voyagers realistically get sold (they had a pile of about six in the store). And not being au fait with modern Moog developments (i.e. drooling over a Voyager in a store in Canada in 2003, then putting it out of my mind as "not for the likes of me"), the backlit control panel was a very nice surprise...

johnypneumo

Post by johnypneumo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi mate,
i cant answer the 321 serial number question,altho it sounds like you got number 321 ;) lucky you,Good combination !

However i can answer the badge question.,
I the Uk we werent licensed to use the actual word "minimoog" hence why it says "by bob moog " ;)

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:29 pm

johnypneumo wrote:Hi mate,
i cant answer the 321 serial number question,altho it sounds like you got number 321 ;) lucky you,Good combination !

However i can answer the badge question.,
I the Uk we werent licensed to use the actual word "minimoog" hence why it says "by bob moog " ;)
That's the badge I was expecting; I'd swear the one on display didn't have that. I looked for the signature. I know that this was supposed to (finally) have been resolved, so I wondered if the newest ones in the UK say Minimoog now.