$6,495.00 ???

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Tibbon

Post by Tibbon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:24 am

I'm actually moreso trying to figure out why a Gibson Les Paul Historic Murphy would be worth $6,500. This guitar has MUCH more to it, and honestly I trust Zion more than I trust the super-corporate entity known as Gibson.

Look at it this way, if they started off with somehow a "cheaper" model, and said that they would put a out a premium model later... how would that work to quickly pay for R&D? Things never happen that way. Its a tax basically on early adopters. Remember when a 42" HDTV was $20,000? It wasn't that long ago and those ones were 720p! Now you can pick them up for a grand any day. I don't think the moog guitar will drop prices to the same scale however.

Look at the crap that Line 6, Fender and Roland have done. Line 6's Variax 500 (what they released with) is a piece of crap guitar. I have been trying to get 'just the guts' to it for years to retrofit into a guitar that doesn't suck. Cool technology, but its on a guitar that I wouldn't play to save my life.

Fender/Roland have their MIM piece of crap hex pickup guitar. The thing sucks balls and feels like its worth $100. Again, its just better to get a Ghost hex system and put it on a good American strat.

I'm glad that Moog is doing it this way. The concept that "no one will buy them" is insane. I wouldn't be shocked if they aren't sold out rather quickly. Glance on your CD shelf. Oh right, most of those people on those CDs are professional musicians. Tax writeoff/depreciation! Do you think that Trent Reznor is going to have a hard time affording 2 or 3 of these? I think not.

You're just jealous because you perhaps aren't as sucessful as a musician as you'd like to be. If Moog put out a Modular system again, you'd all be crying like little girls with skinned knees because you forgot that they were $10,000 or so in the 60's. That's like $60 grand now!!! But yet I think that depending how many of them they made, they might just be able to sell a handful of them.
Signature #144

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:49 pm

So for comparison sake, a Gibson Custom Les Paul (just 'cause almost everyone knows what they are) and a Voyager together cost around $6500, then you need a hammer because that control cavity in the Les Paul is really small...

:roll:

Realistically it's not completely out of this world pricing, it is a lot, and I won't be spending this much on it, if I ever do get one, but considering the above statement it makes sense. I'm glad it's not 60K, at least it has a shot of a longer lifetime, and becoming more realistically priced.

If I could write one off to keep it around I would, and more specifically if I had this much to spend on an axe, I would buy it, and not some historic Les Paul.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:38 am

All I have to say is...www.alembic.com. I configured a $26,000 bass guitar. No that is not a typo. :roll:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

gd

Post by gd » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:27 am

I bet that Pete Townshend would have thought twice in his guitar smashing days about this one. :lol: I do look fwd to hearing it on a cd (whether it be Trent or in another band) vs demos and how they fit it into the mix. There will be a number of high end studios buying them as well. This may be the beginning of more new gear from Moog sort of like how Korg used the Oasys and the tech. began to flow into lower priced gear. I know that Korg is many times the size of MM but I can see this as the jump off point for new directions to stay innovative and branch out into new markets given the relatively low volume sales of synths.
Mini D, P'08 ..

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:51 pm

if they want a sales boost i suggest a 3 or 4 voice poly expander ...everyone with a voyager or phatty will buy one...$500 bucks would ensure ALOT of sales

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:59 pm

dlearyus wrote:if they want a sales boost i suggest a 3 or 4 voice poly expander ...everyone with a voyager or phatty will buy one...$500 bucks would ensure ALOT of sales
BIG thumbs up on this sentiment! Polyphony expander seems like a no brainer compared to this new guitar.
MF-102, MF-103, MF-107

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:10 am

Heres my theory,
Ill bet that everyone on this forum, myself included will wish that we bought one of these guitars at 6K or even 8 K seeing as how people are getting raped and vanquished on Model D's and Etherwave Pros on Ebay and Craigslist these days.

Wait until we see one go for 24K and we will wish we had sold our voyagers and other gear to buy just 1 so we coudl buy all our gear back and a LOT more.

My 2 pisos.

E
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:53 am

VERY true.... i think if i sold ALL my gear i could afford it. i might beable to keep one pedal :cry:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:35 am

Well, yeah. I mean, look at what a Micromoog is going for! I saw a Prodigy sell for $750 at Music Go Round in Kenosha, and it had a chipped key and was missing two knobs! That's Moog, though. Everything can be a collector's item if it's got Moog on it. :roll:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:55 am

THere is a reason why Moogs become collectors items though and I think Michelle Moog-Koussa said it best:

Moog just has the best sound in the industry and thats all there is to it.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Amen to that, brother! :mrgreen:

alisa 1387

Post by alisa 1387 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:29 am

If I had 6495 bucks to spend on Moog gear I´d buy another two voices of Voyager. But only because I don´t play the guitar :lol:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:33 pm

The awesome thing about the Moog guitar is that it can be played in unconventional ways...meaning that almost any musician could make it sound good. The problem, then, is the astronomical cost that only dedicated guitarists will shell out for this musical wonder. Just like a lot of drummers and guitarists look at me funny when I tell them what my monophonic Little Phatty and 'Foogers cost. :roll: They'll say, "That's what a PRS cost!" Or "I could've bought a Buddy Rich set for that!" So I guess it's all the same, really. :mrgreen:

Theremint

Limited Number

Post by Theremint » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 am

"I'd say they made a limited number, ..."

Does anyone have any idea what the limited number is for the Moog VO guitar?

BTW, how does one get a previously quoted sentence inserted here with the gray shading?

Theremint

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:33 pm

I think it's 300 for the USA,not sure about worldwide.