$6,495.00 ???

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Lamorta wrote:I promise you Bob Is Alive and well in every peice of Moog Equipment not his Ghost. For me he will live on as long as one of us creates and pushes the enveople with his creations.
Well said! This is the epitome of truth. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:35 pm

otolathe wrote:...and the stickers near the controls look god-awfully chintzy.
If I am not mistaken, the sticker is for in-store use only so that casual passers-by can see what the controls are doing. It comes right off; there are no control labels on the actual guitar.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:04 pm

Lamorta wrote:The Moog guitar will never replace my Voyager and all my Foogers but useing my Gibson or my Bass with my voyager and foggers why would I need a Moog guitar...
Hello Lam,

The setup you have is very impressive indeed but it is not the equivalent of a Moog Guitar. The sustain and mute aspect of the guitar is not available in any other guitar or guitar configuration. While any descent guitar player can play the Moog guitar it does take time to really figure out how to play the Moog guitar! There are many unfamiliar possibilities available to guitar players who are willing to give it a go and take some time with it's technology.

Think of it this way. When Bob Moog made a keyboard for his early modular system he made the synthesizer he developed available as a seemingly playable instrument to all piano/keyboard players. When piano/keyboard players started tinkering with it however (e.g. Wendy Carlos) they discovered that there was a much deeper instrument at their finger tips than had been previously available! It wasn't just a piano connected to a mic or some pickups with an effects chain and an amplifier. It was an entirely new instrument!

Cheers,
theglyph

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:39 pm

While I agree with your post and I may be being a bit pedantic, I feel I should be historically accurate and comment on one detail:
theglyph wrote:[When piano/keyboard players started tinkering with it however (e.g. Wendy Carlos) they discovered that there was a much deeper instrument at their finger tips than had been previously available! It wasn't just a piano connected to a mic or some pickups with an effects chain and an amplifier. It was an entirely new instrument!
Wendy Carlos came to the Moog modular with a background in electronic music, most notably having worked under Vladimir Ussachevsky. She'd already experimented with some Moog modules, and her understanding of the principles of electronic music was such that as Bob Moog was assembling the modular he'd just delivered, she was looking at the modules and already working out what could be done by connecting them in various ways.

So what you've said is very true, but it does have to be said that Wendy Carlos was well ahead of the game even before sitting down at the modular.