...Etherwave Pro made in 2008?!

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
fairplay

...Etherwave Pro made in 2008?!

Post by fairplay » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:43 pm

...is it possible that Moog is just right now building Etherwave Pro theremins? BigCityMusic claims to have just last week received a brandnew EW Pro, which they now auction at eBay (disregarding their previously confirmed orders from customers - mine is one) and which is already at 2800 dollars...still running for two days...

...back to the question on top: is there any chance that there will be new Etherwave Pros available after Moog has finished delivering their back-order of the EW Pro limited editions?

TIA.

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:40 pm

I would suspect what they have an instrument they re-bought from someone.

I've had a good experience with them in the past buying some new items they are the U.S. dealer for. But at least in my opinion the auctiont does seem ethically a bit confusing for them to be a Moog dealer, saying so, and then auctioning a recent product that's in short supply for what turns out to be top money. All the while Moog music has the limited edition page up that just confuses their availability or lack of.

It doesn't help Moog Music seems to be giving the last product Dr. Bob developed all the way to the finish the short shrift in my opinion after he left us. I was saving to buy a regular one when they seemed to dry up. So I never realized they stopped making them. Then the limited edition one came and went after the regular one just confusing things further.

fairplay

Post by fairplay » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:28 am

...ouch...

...that particular Etherwave Pro went over the counter for 7871 dollars!

...if - for me - there is a message in this, I'd say: we need more Etherwave Pros!

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:41 am

I fully agree.....or Id say even better would be to just add CV outs for their Standard Theremin. Id like to own a pro but Im not that great of a Theremin player. I don't practice enough to have immaculate intonation but I can do okay. Nothing like Randy GTeorge or those guys lol.

However, having the CV outs to me is more important than having the extrended range or timbre selection.

Id like to be able to have the sound of the theremin, plus using a synth like the Voyager as a slave, and I wish that I knew how much it woudl cost to mod mine to do just that.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 am

RE: CV outs. Well, you could always use a PAiA Theremax, which already has them. Doepfer also makes theremin modules you could use. Or do what I do: process your Moog through a Korg MS-20 pitch to voltage converter. Does the trick for me. :wink:

timfox

Post by timfox » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Boy, I sure don't get why Moog quite making the Etherwave Pro. By the time I'd saved the ducats to buy one, they'd quit making them, after less than a year. I have a search in on Ebay hoping to snag a used one and when that limited edition model came up for sale, I contacted my local dealer, to see if they could order one for me. The first reply was, sure, let us check on the pricing. Then they told me that Moog had sold them out already, and that I was out of luck.

Dear MoogMusic, if there's such a demand, why no supply?

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:12 pm

It seems like I remember reading in a thread somewhere that the people that Moog contracted to make the circuit boards or something along those lines said "Hey, were not making that anymore." So the limited Edition ones ran out and there was really no formal announcement.

I think just for the record that Sweetwater no longer offers the piano bar.

Perhaps they could just make the Standard with the cv outs and let us with the standards already send it back for modification.

EricK

Don

Pro vs. Standard

Post by Don » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:51 pm

While it is true that the Pro has certain features that the Standard doesn't have (including more timbre controls and CV outs), there is something even more important to me: playability.

In my experience, the Pro is easier to play and control than the Standard. Frankly, I liked the features of the PAIA more than the Standard, but I felt that the Standard was more playable than the PAIA.

I sold my PAIA when I got my Standard. I sold my Standard when I got my Pro.

timfox

Post by timfox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:16 am

There's some lovely footage of Dorit Chrysler here:

<http://moogmusic.com/theremin/>

On the Moog site.

Playing an Etherwave Pro.

Which Moog no longer makes.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:42 am

Playabillity would make a huge difference! THe Standard is extremely difficult....then again I don't practice regularly enough to be great...much like my trumpet playing lolololol. At least my Theremin doesn't sound like a dying, mating elephant trapped in a tarpit.

I wonder what would become of someone putting side by side an old RCA theremin with one of Leon's own builds, alongside one of the Early R. A. Moog theremins with the EW Pro. THat would be a neat experiment!

EricK

Theremint

Post by Theremint » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:39 pm

Does anyone know anything about the person who won the auction on Ebay for the $7800+ EW-Pro? Was s/he from another country, or in a jam to get one for an upcoming concert? Maybe it was Bill Gates or ? How many bidders bid the auction up after $2500? Just curious.

Theremint

"Everyone knows what Allen sounds like."

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:47 pm

EricK wrote: I wonder what would become of someone putting side by side an old RCA theremin with one of Leon's own builds, alongside one of the Early R. A. Moog theremins with the EW Pro. THat would be a neat experiment!

EricK
I guess Peter Pringle has the collection to do that
http://www.peterpringle.com/

But if one wants to get nitpicky, your experiment exactly as you said it might likely turn out a mess if you put a bunch of Theremins literally side by side and turned them on. Get multiple theremins kind of close and turned on and they interfere with each other.

As for $7800, all it takes is 2 people with some money and both wanting it bad. Many rare and and/or well built instruments go for much more.

Ummm... and Bill gates would probably have a huge team make his own one that's mostly a copy with all sorts of bugs and some sort of rights management scheme that would stop you from playing music owned by RIAA members ;-)

Theremint

Post by Theremint » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:57 pm

Good answers Nicholas, and the part about Bill Gates is hilarious.

Theremint