LP Stage newbie questions - very noisy filter cutoff!

Everything Phatty.
voodoochilimoog

LP Stage newbie questions - very noisy filter cutoff!

Post by voodoochilimoog » Tue May 06, 2008 3:44 pm

Hey everyone. Glad to be a part of the forums. I just bought a LP Stage, and I'm pretty new to synthesizers. I have a few questions after a few weeks of use that I'd love to have answered.

#1) Is it normal to have a buzzing noise in the upper register of the 4' octave when the filter resonance is at about 50% and the filter cutoff is at 25%? What I really dig about Moogs is the classic, smooth, tone of one oscillator. I have oscillator 2 turned all the way down, and I'm wondering if it's normal to hear a background noise in upper register notes that is almost as loud as the note itself. It is a really annoying buzzing noise!

#2.) A smallish chunk of styrofoam dropped in between the keys of the keyboard when I was unpacking it. It wasn't big, but I'm wondering how the keys work and whether it could be a potential problem worth sending back to the factory. I'd rather have be fixed now than have something break a year from now.

Thanks for your help!

Sky

Extraborg

Post by Extraborg » Tue May 06, 2008 4:57 pm

Yes, unfortunately, this is normal. There is a known issue with the Tribute and Stage that there is a digital interference of some sort in the upper registar, which (ironically) sounds like aliasising. There is a mod available. Contact Amos for details.

For some of the complicated story you can try:

http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

and

http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4981

Don't let it spoil your fun - it's a wonderful synth

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Tue May 06, 2008 5:57 pm

I hope it'll be fixed with the OS update, and not a hardware fix, but Moog Music is pretty silent about this
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

T7

Post by T7 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Khoral wrote:I hope it'll be fixed with the OS update, and not a hardware fix, but Moog Music is pretty silent about this
This requires a hardware mod to fix. The problem cannot be addressed with a software patch as it is caused by the specs of a hardware component. Moog Music has confirmed this.
Last edited by T7 on Tue May 06, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlearyus

TE

Post by dlearyus » Tue May 06, 2008 6:37 pm

i guess ill get the mod done at same time as memory upgrade ;)

Amos

Re: TE

Post by Amos » Tue May 06, 2008 11:46 pm

dlearyus wrote:i guess ill get the mod done at same time as memory upgrade ;)
easily done. Just give us a call.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 am

after opening up my tribute i was pleased to see a daughter board that the filter is located on...i suppose this makes for good upgrades in the future!

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Wed May 07, 2008 2:25 am

Last edited by Khoral on Wed May 07, 2008 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Wed May 07, 2008 5:33 am

Actually there are two different issues, as Amos put it in post some time ago

"For LP Tribute Edition owners, we are pleased to announce an improvement with the next version of the LP Tribute Edition operating system. It will include a user-friendly "auto" mode for the EGR matrix parameter, allowing you noise-free playing and access to the Envelope section parameters without any menu-diving. Once this is available we will send an email to every Tribute Edition owner who has registered their LP thru the Moog Warranty Registration system. This addresses the panel scanning noise which affects only the Tribute Edition.

The other type of noise which has been reported is a high-frequency modulation which is only apparent in certain types of sounds. This kind of modulation is inherent to some degree in any analog synth which is under digital control, but we have recently identified a new component which drastically reduces this artifact by a factor of 4 (-12dB).
We are offering this as an upgrade to any Little Phatty Stage or Tribute Edition owner for a nominal fee of $50. Turnaround time will be 1-2 weeks depending on our workload. Call Moog for an RMA (Return Material Authorization). Shipping to and from the factory will be the customer's responsibility. "