High Pass Filter - Frostwave Resonator?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Rakuza

High Pass Filter - Frostwave Resonator?

Post by Rakuza » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:17 am

I am thinking of getting a Frostwave Resonator for it's HP filter. Supposedly it's a clone of the old Korg MS-20 filter section and it has various CV inputs. Does anyone know if these are usable with Moogerfoogers? Korg/Moog CV differences?

Thanks,
R

Rakuza

Got my question answered...

Post by Rakuza » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:29 pm

I got a reply from Paul at Frostwave (nice guy):

"Is Frostwave stuff is built to 1 V/oct standards?"

"Yes, the CV of the Resonator is approximately volt/octave.
I can't guarantee it would track exactly in tune as an oscillator,
but it is certainly capable of having the cutoff frequency swept
in a satisfactory manner by any source of control voltage. As for the input range, the way it works with the Resonator, is that the Control Voltage coming in is added (or if it is negative, subtracted) from the setting of the corresponding knob. You can run any voltage into the CV inputs of the Resonator, from minus 10 to plus 10."

Progger

Go for it........

Post by Progger » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:07 pm

Paul has an excellent reputation for service after a sale of one of his products. I run my Resonator constantly in conjunction with the LFO/S&H of the MoogerFooger Control Processor CP-251. They function together without a hitch, from my perspective. I could not imagine using the Resonator as much as I do without the CP-251, it saves a ton of work if one wants to play at the same time etc. The low speed LFO of the MoogerFooger phaser also works well with the unit.

Rakuza

Re: Go for it........

Post by Rakuza » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:43 am

Progger wrote:...it saves a ton of work if one wants to play at the same time etc. The low speed LFO of the MoogerFooger phaser also works well with the unit...
What type of music do you do? What do play while the 251 and Resonator are doing their thing? I make ambient/experimental electronic, so twiddling knobs is playing for me...

Progger

Post by Progger » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:31 pm

It is just a 25 year old hobby for me at this point. I often play guitar or keyboards while the frostwave works with sequenced patterns of whatever analog synth I have devoted it to. The patterns can come off as bland without it. Incidentally, the sequencer is made by the same Australian company (Frostwave Fat Controller, it works fine with Moogs, Arps, Rolands etc.). I am always looking for ways to "take it further", the CP helps. I twiddle knobs more when folks come to jam, but the CP-251 still allows one to focus on other twiddling/patch cord switching, even then......

Rakuza

frostwave setup

Post by Rakuza » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:11 am

I'd love to hear an example (as detailed as you feel like going into) of a setup involving the CP-251 and the fat controller. It's a hobby for me too, not a professional living. I have a keyboard but it's not CV capable, so just something to run through the effects. I have the MF 101, 102, 103 and a couple of delay pedals and I just ordered a CP-251.

I don't have a clear sense of the use of the Fat Controller. Would it be of any use w/o an actual CV-capable synth? What synth have you got?

Cheers,
R

Progger

Post by Progger » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:16 am

Rakuza,
I use the CP-251 more with the Resonator and for sending voltage to the filters of an Arp Axxe and Micromoog. You can run most anything through the Resonator, I happen to use a low budget Roland SH-09 due to its stability. I am not that creative for using the CP-251 with the Fat Controller (which you CAN use with Midi equipment such as yours). I know that using the FC with your MF filter, ring mod and phaser, for example, would give original sounding results. I am just a newbie with analog sequencing but think that it blends well with all analog synths as well as MoogerFoogers. I hope that someone else can give us some hints/advice. I am sharing a link I found from the web that displays use of the CP-251 in tandem with the Resonator. I was trying to go after more of an Aphex Twin sound, which I was lacking altogether:

http://waltzer.crosswinds.net/egw/equip ... stwave.htm

Good luck. Be prepared to experiment like mad once you receive the CP-251, one can come up with new sounds every day.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:04 pm

Interesting about the Aphex Twin sound...

The closest I've come to getting his super glitch drums sound(without a computer doing the rad edits) is running a drum machine through a Korg X-911 guitar synth. It seems that the same filter on the MS10, 20 and Frostwave is in that thing as well. Only its one knob so I'm sure if it a LPF or HPF. I think its a LPF.

Rakuza

Aphex Twin sounds.

Post by Rakuza » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:01 am

I have gotten a sound surprisingly similar to some of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient works Vol. 2 from my aforementioned keyboard (un-effected). Which, is not in fact (contrary to Progger's statement) midi capable OR C.V. capable (except for a trigger out). It is a late 70s/early 80s Korg Lambda ES-50. Not modular at all, but hey, I get what I can afford.

Anybody tried the Frostwave Alienator?