Phatty 2.0?

Everything Phatty.
Assar

Post by Assar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:03 am

I have always considered arpeggiators as a thing for people who doesn't know how to program a sequenser. But maybe that's not fair ...
:wink:
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 pm

How about people who are so spontaneous and awesome they want to decide what they play when they want to play it? :)

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:20 am

I agree, it's just a different tool
Arps are a lot of hands-on, spontaneous fun, especially when there's random mode

I never quite understood why some people today pretend that arpeggiator doesn't belong on an analog synth, and stuff like that
Back in the days, there were arpeggiators on synths like the MonoPoly, SH-101, Jupiter-8, OB-8, Prophet 600, Arp Quadra... (I did my research, I don't know this by heart;))
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Assar

Post by Assar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:37 am

llamastorm wrote:How about people who are so spontaneous and awesome they want to decide what they play when they want to play it? :)
... and aren't skilled enough to play it themselves.

Hey, just teasing you guys ...
8)
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:27 am

Eh, I know, I know
Wasn't aiming at you specially;)
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:33 pm

There is something special about mechanistic sequenced lines, locked exactly to tempo. Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk would not have sounded the same if everything was played exclusively by hand (well maybe Kraftwerk would; they are inhuman... :)).

I have not seen the 2.0 software yet but I am assured it is in progress.

roboctopus

Post by roboctopus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:22 am

Assar wrote:I have always considered arpeggiators as a thing for people who doesn't know how to program a sequenser. But maybe that's not fair ...
They're different animals. I have a Juno-60. And I have a Roland DCB-MIDI converter box. Sometimes I sequence the Juno. But sometimes I use the arpeggiator. They're different flavors, to me. It takes less time to press down a chord with an arp. turned on that it does to punch in the notes on a sequencer. So if you want that arpeggiator sound, having an arp. is faster/easier.

Plus, if you turn their speed way up, they make fun video game sounds/weird leads. Actually, that's one of my favorite things about the juno...playing a lead with the arpeggiator on, fast, and spanning three octaves. It's like a C64 on crack is playing you lead line. And that would be obnoxious (but not impossible) to sequence.

I say, three cheers for simple arpeggiators! (as a different flavor of ice cream from the sequencer. Because, hey, I like sequenced stuff too.) Plus, without the arpeggiator, Grandaddy's "The Crystal Lake" wouldn't sound as cool.
What does this button do?

LP Stage II, Dead Prodigy, Juno 60, MF-101 & 102, CP-251, guitars, bass, banjo, and the almighty glockenspiel/melodica combo

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:27 am

Will the arpeggiator have a mode where it affects the LP, but not the note data transmitted via MIDI? This would allow you to have a sustained chord via MIDI, but yet have the LP arpeggiated on top of the chord.

Just food for thought.
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

rachel

Post by rachel » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:59 am

Fnord

rachel

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:12 am

(there is no fnord)

Henfield: I hadn't thought of that! Currently the arpeggiator sends arpeggiated MIDI notes - I thought that would be good, so that you could use it to arpeggiate your other synths or record the arpeggiated notes... however, I can see where you might want to send out held chords or the like as well. We'll have to think on this and figure out what would be best. On a related note, how should the arpeggiator interact with Local Control On/Off? Any thoughts? Anyone is welcome to comment on this one; now is the time to figure it out, while we are defining things the first time.

Thanks!

teknobryan

Post by teknobryan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:28 am

have a seperate "Arp Send On/Off" in the menu.

Dannymon

Post by Dannymon » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:24 pm

Amos wrote:(there is no fnord)

On a related note, how should the arpeggiator interact with Local Control On/Off? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Hi there Amos, I don't have much time to write right now since I am working, If you guys have access to a Korg Karma keyboard, you might want to look into it to see how it handles the arpeggiator function in regards to the Local control on/off. I think the way this is implemented on this keyboard would fit the little Phatty very nicely.

Regards,
Daniel Trejo
------------------------------------
Litlte Phatty V1, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104z, MF-105, Kenton Pro Solo.