Which Moog?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
AJeff

Which Moog?

Post by AJeff » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:00 am

What moog shall i get? I need everyones input.

The synths I was looking at were the...

1.) Moog/Realistic MG-1 - Isaw that you could make violin sounds and footsteps and stuff,but it doesn't seem like a real moog to me.
2.) Moog Prodigy
3.) Moog Rogue- Because the Keyboardist from Thursday( my fav.band) uses it.
4.)Moog Opus -3

With all these synths could I achieve the same sounds out of all of them, like an violin,cello, and some other werid stuff.

Thanks for all your help

SynthBaron

Post by SynthBaron » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:34 am

I have a feeling that this forum is going to get inundated with topics stemming from stuff produced by the OLD Moog music.

AJeff

Post by AJeff » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:06 pm

Sorry Didn't know.... I just wanted some help

edFig

Post by edFig » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:57 pm

A few places you can look are http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/cfman.cfm?manid=23 and http://www.synthmuseum.com/moog/index.html. They have links to specs, etc., and may help describe the differences between the various Moogs.

Don't expect a portable analog monosynth to be able to mimic every instrument. You may be able to get some instruments really close, but a synth is its own beast and creates its own types of sound.

IMO, no matter which Moog you settle on you will have endless enjoyment.

Rohtus

Post by Rohtus » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:45 pm

yeah, what edFig said...

playon

daveh873

Post by daveh873 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:40 pm

Well, first off, the rogue and the MG-1 are almost exactly the same synth, so dont discount the MG. The only differences are: (1) the rogue has a pitch wheel, the MG doesnt (2) The MG has a polyphonic section, the Rogue does not (3) the MG has both RCA and 1/4" outputs, the rogue only has 1/4" (4) generally speaking, people have been paying more for the Rogue then for the MG-1 just because the MG says "realistic" on it instead of "moog", but rest assured, its all moog innards. its fully a real moog synth.

Next, the Prodigy is a great synth and more versitile then the mg/rogue, but it'll cost ya probably an extra 200 bucks over the MG.

Lastly, the Opus 3 is a string/brass/organ polyphonic synth. For what you seem into i wouldnt go with it.

I'm a fan of Thursday too, and I own an MG-1. For someone just breaking into synths, the MG is really a great start. The prodigy could be a bit too much for someone just starting, and the rogue is virtually the same instrument but costs more and has no polyphonic section. For my money, i'd go with the MG-1. Good luck!

museslave

What about the Micromoog?

Post by museslave » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:33 pm

When speaking of the less expensive Moog monosynths, it seems like people merely consider the Rogue or the Prodigy. While having two oscillators is nice, there is a HOST of unique and exciting functions provided by the Micromoog. Apart from the fact that it is single oscillator, it is a far more interesting machine than either the Rogue or the Prodigy.
The fact that the Prodigy is often more expensive than the Micromoog is totally baffling... I guess you're paying for that extra oscillator, and the extra envelope control. In any case, snatch up a Micro, you'll be glad you did.
Last edited by museslave on Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

THM

Post by THM » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:56 pm

I'd go for a Prodigy - although it's the most expensive one (± $650). But it has an acceptable number of essential features and 2 VCO which makes it by far the best of the "smaller" aka "less expensive" MOOG synths. Enjoy !!
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak