Touchpad Moogerfooger?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
goldphinga

Touchpad Moogerfooger?

Post by goldphinga » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:35 am

Just thought it would be great if Moog take the touchpad from the voyager and mount it in a moogerfooger case with cv and midi outs..and add an led display for midi info

i was also thinking they could mount an assignable pitch wheel and mod wheel in there as well...

any thoughts?
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

sergiovalente9

Post by sergiovalente9 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:33 pm

Your idea is great. I want to control via computer my Mooger Fooger, without lost the "analog feel" in the sound. An Mooger Fooger that converts CV to midi will be great. In adition if this mooger fooger have a touch screen, wooow! What more I can demand???

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:55 pm

i can't find a picture of it but I'm pretty sure that was a early Big Briar product.

Way before the Moogerfoogers and right after Moog(synths) the first time around.
http://www.myspace.com/sirdsssound
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Scott_Stone

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:12 pm

I think it may have been the very first Big Briar product, all the way back in the early 80s.

I'd also really love some kind of controller product like this. I'll probably build one myself... but as usual, anything with a Moog logo is still best.

I've been looking for years for one of thos Cat-Sticks by Octave Electronics (makers of the Cat and Kitten synths). If anyone doesn't know this product, do a google search. It was this really amazing X-Y Joystick controller with a ton of CV ins/outs/attentuators/invertors/voltage source/maybe even LFOs, etc.
...Really a cool controller product, but I've never seen one for sale. I'd be all over that sort of thing if I was a designer for Moog. Of course, it's not like they're not already busy with a bunch of other great new products.

Really looking forward to trying out the MF107.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:38 pm

http://bobmoog.com/gallery.html

Third row down on the left!

Note that this is not the one which currently resides at Moog Music.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:54 pm

I love the pic ontop where Bob is leaning on the Voyager. :)
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

sergiovalente9

Post by sergiovalente9 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:01 pm

This touchpad was able for sale?? In which year???

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:37 pm

Just out of curiosity i placed one of my moogerfoogers next to the touchpad of the voyager and the touchpad looks like it would just fit in a moogerfooger enclosure...

8)
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:16 pm

goldphinga wrote:Just out of curiosity i placed one of my moogerfoogers next to the touchpad of the voyager and the touchpad looks like it would just fit in a moogerfooger enclosure...

8)
that would be intensely cool! it'd also give Voyager RME owners a chance to enjoy the touchpad and still maintain the racked setup.
www.ctrlshft.com

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:36 am

That is so f#cking bad#ss.

I don't know why stuff like this evokes so much enthusiasm in me... but for some reason...

It's such a cool looking little controller. I'd love to have something like that to use with my Mfs and other modular stuff.
sergiovalente9 wrote: This touchpad was able for sale?? In which year???
If you look for this website with Synapse Magazine scans... and look through some of the early 80s issues, you'll find a quarter-page ad for this thing. It must have been one of the first Big Briar products (probably along with the Therimin in the above picture). I remember seeing the ad once-- it had to have been on that website.

I'm guessing Bob Moog started Big Briar immediately after leaving the late 70s Norlin-era Moog Music, and before going to work for Kurzviel in the mid-80s.

sergiovalente9

Post by sergiovalente9 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:11 am

Thankz for the info Eric!

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:19 pm

sergiovalente9 wrote:Thankz for the info Eric!
Yeah, no problem. The URL is actually:

http://www.cyndustries.com/synapse/intro.cfm

There are quite a bit of scans here--each issue is almost entirely reproduced--but I'm pretty certain the ad is in one of the later issues. But, if you're a synth enthusiast, it will be a pleasure reading through all of them. I really wish there was a magazine like this today...

There was at least one other great synth magazine from the same era as Synapse, called Polyphony. It was published at first by Paia. There's a website for it, as well, that promises to eventually host full scans of each issue-- but none are up yet.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:12 pm

How much would you pay for a 'fooger touchpad?

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:27 am

latigid on wrote:How much would you pay for a 'fooger touchpad?
Well, I'd think that they could build one pretty inexpensively. I don't see why it would be much more expensive to make than any of the other moogers. Probably like $300, maybe.

I bet those touch-pads aren't real cheap. I believe the one on the Voyager is a fiber-optic type of touchpad, different from the resistive-material ribbon controllers on the Micro and Poly.

i'd think it would be very simple to make, as far as circuits go. Just two or three voltage sources, attentuators, and invertors, etc. Pretty simple stuff. I'd like to make one myself-- just like the Big Briar one, but I don't know where to source the actual touchpad. I don't know, but I'd think that there might be some kind of digital circuitry involved with the fiber optic one, like on the Voyager. I'd probably try to find a pressure resistive type pad, if I was gonna build one. Don't know how easy they are to come by. I couldn't really find one by just doing a google search.

I actually already have a resistive strip--thats almost the perfect size for a small ribbon controller. I e-mailed the company that makes them and they sent me a sample. But I'd much prefer to find one that could do X-Y attentuation, or X-Y-Z.

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:14 am

Eric, here are a couple places that make various sensors. Nothing exactly like the Voyager touchpad, but lots of options.

http://infusionsystems.com/catalog/prod ... ucts_id/72
http://www.electrotap.com/sensors/